Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Question about the Albion Solingen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Question about the Albion Solingen         Reply with quote

This one keeps growing on me for some reason. Perhaps because its German and would fill a type/period hole in my collection. Perhaps because I'm growing to appreciate its smoothly flowing lines. Anyway, I wondered if anybody handled it during some of the recent Albion visits. I found pictures here and there in threads, but not much in the way of opinion or impression.

Anybody have anything to share???

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I first handled the Solingen early last year when Howy showed me Peter's prototypes of it, the Tritonia, and the Brescia. It was the last of the three I had in hand. The Tritonia is an "in your face" kind of sword and the Brescia is just downright stunning. The Solingen kind of snuck up on me. Howy handed it to me and we were talking about something (don't remember what) and I was just sort of lazily handling the sword. Wasn't really paying much attention to it at all when I suddenly stopped mid-sentence and thought "What the ......?" Howy just sort of smiled and I just knew he was thinking "Gotcha!"

It is hands down my favorite of the three. They all have great lines and great handling but the Solingen seems a little more subtle than the others and I really like that. It's got this little widening of the blade just in front of the hilt that really sets the whole thing off.

I think people tend to be attracted to swords that represent their personality. Patrick and his new Big Johnsson are a perfect match. Patrick is a straight ahead, no nonsense kind of guy and his new type X mirrors that. I'm more of a hit and run type and the Solingen's marraige of quickness and cutting authority fits that to a tee.

Albion is doing so many things so well now with their swords it's getting very hard to choose between them all. But, if you're looking for a single hand piece that is a true recreation of a historical sword, this one would be very hard to beat.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled a Solingen prototype, and found it to be a sword which is very easy to like. The lines and distinctive pommel makes for a harmonic look as well.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I first saw photos of the Solingen it really didn't do anything for me. It had too much of a "generic" look to it, or so I thought.

My opinion really changed once I handled the sword. The Tritonia and the Brescia are very striking swords from a visual standpoint. The Solingen looks a bit more common place at first glance. Once it is in hand its' subtleties are more apparent. I found myself liking it quite a bit. It possesses exceptional handling characteristics (of course all of these new swords seem to). If a buyer desires a sword that would fit into a wide range of uses and historic personas, it would be hard to beat the Solingen.
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: The Leeds sword         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson commented about the Solingen that it had a twin in the Royal Armouries in Leeds England. That sword is in Oakeshott's Records as type XIV #5. Has anyone on the forum ever had a opportunity to handle or examine that sword? They are so similar in appearance one wonders if they may have come from the same shop.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Called Albion about it, and they think several of them will be available in January. Will have to see how much fat remains in the wallet after the holidays. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I managed to last all of 8 days after this post before buying a new sharpie. Unfortunately it was not the Solingen, something else eased in front of it. Maybe in 6 months or so...

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Question about the Albion Solingen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic