Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hilt finish: How do you guys keep everything so shiney?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Hilt finish: How do you guys keep everything so shiney??         Reply with quote

I was just wondering what people on the forum do to keep pommels, guards, baskets and other hilt fittings as good as new??

I myself just 'let them go', basicly. I whipe them off after handling with a clean cotton cloth, but no oil. Really heavy rust is removed, but stains are just left alone. I like the look of a hilt that's slowly but steadily getting an aged look.

In any case, as I said, merely curious as to the methods used by forum-members to keep hilt furnitire clean.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of my hilts are coated with a clear polyurethane varnish, so they just require a periodic wipe-down with a dry cloth. I also have a couple with bronze hilts that I let tarnish until I decide to polish them up.

For my non-coated, steel-hilted swords, I use an old cloth and Break-Free CLP. I wipe them down after handling and also every few weeks or so of sitting around in my display cabinet. If they ever develop patination, grey scotchbrite and oil work well most of the time. You could also use the grey scotchbrite and a metal polish like Metal-Glo. For more severe staining/pitting, green scotchbrite and metal polish work. I tend to prefer the more pristine look for steel, but I like bronze patinated a bit.

Patrick wrote a great article on maintenance.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: polishing         Reply with quote

Thomas,

On armour and weapons , both antique and modern , I use 'Solvol Autosol', car chrome polish. This not only polishes but it protects the metal as well, even in the rain ! Great stuff, available in most car spares shops and is very cheap too ! Happy
Oh and Connolly's 'Hide food' for the leather where necessary !

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hilt finish: How do you guys keep everything so shiney??         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
I was just wondering what people on the forum do to keep pommels, guards, baskets and other hilt fittings as good as new??

Happy I do not Happy

The hilts of my Cresy and Duke are covered with brown rust except at the spots that rub against my hands during handling. The Duke I tried to age with acid and what not, but my sweat seems to be doing the job just fine (with a lot of help form the damp weather). The Cresy's hilt got covered with rust in a month after daily handling and little or no oil applied (to the hilt). The rest of my swords show some patination on the hilt to varying degrees (mostly spots here and there). I have stopped worrying about the hilts Eek!

Now I focus on keeping the rust from the blades.....which requires almost no effort, except after cutting.

I cannot say that I like the spotty rust on some of my hilts but I just stopped obsessing about it......took me some time to learn to live with the rust though Happy

Alexi
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hilt finish: How do you guys keep everything so shiney??         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Happy I do not Happy

The hilts of my Cresy and Duke are covered with brown rust except at the spots that rub against my hands during handling. The Duke I tried to age with acid and what not, but my sweat seems to be doing the job just fine (with a lot of help form the damp weather). The Cresy's hilt got covered with rust in a month after daily handling and little or no oil applied (to the hilt). The rest of my swords show some patination on the hilt to varying degrees (mostly spots here and there). I have stopped worrying about the hilts Eek!

Now I focus on keeping the rust from the blades.....which requires almost no effort, except after cutting.

I cannot say that I like the spotty rust on some of my hilts but I just stopped obsessing about it......took me some time to learn to live with the rust though Happy

Alexi

I'm very much like you Alexi. I really do like the look of some rust on my hilts. However, by the end of the year, my collection will have expanded with two baskethilts, one Armourclass, and one EB Erickson, and I'd like to try and keep them as prestince as possible. However, concerning construction and form of a baskethilt, whiping down every little corner could be quite a job.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Chad, I have a few pieces that have a lacquer finish, and just wipe off with a rag - I have never had to refinish any of these, to date. On the other pieces, I have been using a metal polish (Flitz), following with Renaissance Wax, when I am trying to keep a sword and fittings pristine. Sometimes, my mood will change, and I will let the finish of the fittings go for awhile, just to let the look age a bit.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
Thomas,

On armour and weapons , both antique and modern , I use 'Solvol Autosol', car chrome polish. This not only polishes but it protects the metal as well, even in the rain ! Great stuff, available in most car spares shops and is very cheap too ! Happy
Oh and Connolly's 'Hide food' for the leather where necessary !

Regards as ever,

Russ

"Use AUTOSOL, as recommended by Russel Thomas. Have you had your daily dose of AUTOSOL(as recommended by Russel Thomas)?"

Sorry...had to. Razz

Autosol is great stuff though. Animal grease works great as well, I use a type that is mixed with beeswax and usually used for polishing shoes.

Johan Schubert Moen
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use a super, or extra, fine steel wool & oil on my stuff ....

http://www.briwaxwoodcare.com/stelwool.htm

I'm not into shiney-mirror finishes, either ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wipe everything down with an oily rag after handling, and the whole collection on occasion. When any rust does occur it's removed with grey scotchbrite and oil.

Rust isn't "patina", it's "negligence". I suppose that attitude comes from years of dealing with weapons on a daily basis.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I wipe everything down with an oily rag after handling, and the whole collection on occasion. When any rust does occur it's removed with grey scotchbrite and oil.

Rust isn't "patina", it's "negligence". I suppose that attitude comes from years of dealing with weapons on a daily basis.

There is ofcourse a big difference between patina and rust. A bit of slight surface rust and staining on furniture doesn't bother me, as soon as it becomes real deep rust, something has to be done ofcourse. Otherwise, as Patrick stated, it's negligence, and to neglect a weapon is never good.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wipe them powerfully with dry cotton before handling (I'm dangerous enough without a slippery blade in my hands), and with oiled cotton afterwards.
I noticed that the furniture is (very) slowly darkening.
Rust doesn't stand a chance and I've never even seen it on my blades.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
I wipe them powerfully with dry cotton before handling (I'm dangerous enough without a slippery blade in my hands), and with oiled cotton afterwards.
I noticed that the furniture is (very) slowly darkening.
Rust doesn't stand a chance and I've never even seen it on my blades.

My blades themselves are always kept rustfree. Happy I was more wondering about the methods used by other members to maintain the hiltfinish.
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the shiney look so I try to preserve that rather than let it go.

Historically, how did the average warrior treat his weapon. Well I expect for sure but did they oil the furniture as well like we do or let it patinate? How common was blueing and browning? That would certainly be easier to care for. Did they use mineral oil or something else?

Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Yurgil wrote:
Historically, how did the average warrior treat his weapon. Well I expect for sure but did they oil the furniture as well like we do or let it patinate? How common was blueing and browning? That would certainly be easier to care for. Did they use mineral oil or something else?

Oakeshott mentions that swords were often protected by grease. Grease traps dust and moisture, of course, and helps create the distinctive patina patterns associated with a weapon being stored in a church, for instance.

Blackening was done in some periods, as was russeting - controlled rusting similar to browning (at least for armour). Some sword hilts were gilt with gold, silver, etc. which would have protected them. There is evidence in period art that seems to indicate paints were used on hilts.

But many examples that survive today don't show evidence of blueing, browning, blackening, gilding, painting, etc at all. We can't know in all cases whether they have been over-zealously cleaned or were always bare.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hilt finish: How do you guys keep everything so shiney??
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic