Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New items from GDFB Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: New items from GDFB         Reply with quote

I noticed a couple of new items have popped up on Get Dressed For Battle's website.

First was this - 6mm alternating row riveted/solid maille.

Yeah, that's a dime in that picture. Eek! I'm already pretty crazy, but doing this would push me over the edge.

Next was a longbow made for the reenactment community - looks like an English longbow, but has a 35lb pull. (click on the picture for a link to the page)

Also, they did put up a few items of clothing, including the Templar and Hospitaller surcoats and cloaks... lots of stuff coming out for the new year.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm cornfuzed - whats the advantage of the rattan bow? Question
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:

I can think of two advantages:
1. Novice archers etc could draw it. (Actually even 35 can be quite difficult for a novice.)
2. It's possible to actually shoot someone, using a LARP point or such, without actually killing them.

(edit: removed offensive content)

Last edited by Anton de Vries on Thu 29 Dec, 2005 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:

Anton hit the two points that I was thinking of... first, it's a resilient low-draw-weight bow that looks fairly period-appropriate, and second, it has potential in the reenactment community. I don't recall offhand, but what's the SCA's draw weight for lights/archers?
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:

I guess it take's "wether and wind" better.

A stronger bow need stronger and proper made arrows,
35lbs pull are great and arrows don't dig in the ground so deep, so they can be found easier after you have release them. Happy

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

35 lbs is usually reenactment weight. but a rattan? hmm i dont know any LHer that would buy one. maybe sca or a larp.

as to the 6mm round/solid ring mail, its for roman shirts. thats what they've been working on teh past year. matt amt of legioxx has been working with them i think. he has had the test piece for well over a year. its nice and so tiny
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a sample of mail from the same place with rather larger rings, from Nate Bell (trimmed off the bottom of the shirt he got from them). That was probably back in April or June. Historic Enterprises was in touch with me and I gave them my thoughts--basically, I said it was good stuff but would be even better with smaller rings. So consider me happy! As long as it comes in a properly shaped Roman lorica hamata, that will be great. Good ring style for Late Roman and Early Medieval, too. Man, wish I had some money to spare...

Valete,

Matthew
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
I got a sample of mail from the same place with rather larger rings, from Nate Bell (trimmed off the bottom of the shirt he got from them). That was probably back in April or June. Historic Enterprises was in touch with me and I gave them my thoughts--basically, I said it was good stuff but would be even better with smaller rings. So consider me happy! As long as it comes in a properly shaped Roman lorica hamata, that will be great. Good ring style for Late Roman and Early Medieval, too. Man, wish I had some money to spare...

Valete,

Matthew

Happy and sad---now I need to try and offload my slightly larger rings and upgrade to the better size...if only R&D had worked a little faster, grrrr.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New items from GDFB         Reply with quote

[Yeah, that's a dime in that picture. Eek! I'm already pretty crazy, but doing this would push me over the edge.] Quote from Aaron.

Sorry, I messed up the quote feature in this post.

Laughing Out Loud God knows I am right at the edge, my wife has said for the last 15 years that she is not even sure that I am human and instead might be an alien. WTF?! Laughing Out Loud

Regardless Aaron crazy or not I sure do greatly admire your passion and knowledge of weaponry and armor and your collection is nothing short of awesome and it is inspirational to me!

Actually, where I now need to concentrate is on mail and period attire, I can't afford plate armor other than maybe a couple of pieces. I have been thinking about the idea of making my own hauberk but I am afraid I would mess it up, hell it's all I can do to sew a button on a shirt. Laughing Out Loud But I have been in the trades for many years and God knows I have the trait of obsessive compulsive behavior, though on the other hand I do not have any brain cells left that I can afford to lose. Worried

Happy New Year Aaron, and may it be a rewarding year of adding lots of pieces to a most beautiful collection!

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to Everyone!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New items from GDFB
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic