Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I was ripped off on the SFI classifieds... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: I was ripped off on the SFI classifieds...         Reply with quote

Mad

I haven't had internet access for almost three weeks and I really wished that my first day back on myArmoury was a good one. However, I would like to bring to your attention the fact that SFI forumite Aaron Justice and I have both paid for swords advertised for sale by Steven Swann on the SFI classifieds and been ripped off. I sent almost $300 dollars to Steven for the Albion Gaddhjalt sword he was selling. That was almost a month ago. He was very responsive with his e-mails to me until he got the money, then nothing. I have sent him numerous e-mails asking for the sword to be sent or at least an update, and have been completely ignored. Aaron Justice was told that his sword had been sent over two weeks ago but has gotten nothing and not heard from Steven either. Steven claimed that he was selling his swords to get money from his upcoming wedding. Apparently, this was all just a scheme to cheat fellow forumites out of their hard earned cash. I'm pissed off beyond my ability to communicate here. I thought that the members of SFI were a trustworthy group. Now I have lost faith in that image. I really hope Steven has a good time with Aaron's and my money because he'll be smoking a turd in hell in due time. Sorry to post this on myArmoury.com but I figured that a thief on the SFI classifieds warranted a warning here. I hope this does not ever happen to anyone else. Unfortunately for me and Aaron we learned the hard way that the SFI classifieds contain snakes.

Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's terrible Jay, I'm sorry to hear about that.

As a longtime seller on the various classifieds (NetSword, SFI, etc.) I really hate to see such a valuable resource compromised.

One thing I should point out though, this really isn't an issue specific to SFI. The same people who sell there also sell on the other classified forums. That this happened on SFI isn't indicative of that organization as a whole, and it could have happened anywhere.

I sincerely hope that the situation gets resolved somehow.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want my post to point an accusing finger at SFI. I know that it could have happened on any forum classified section. I have bought probably ten swords on SFI classifieds and all of them have arrived without a hitch. I also have realized that something terrible could have happened to Steven that has kept him from communicating. I hope this is resolved.
Constant and true.
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: I was ripped off on the SFI classifieds...         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Mad

I haven't had internet access for almost three weeks and I really wished that my first day back on myArmoury was a good one. However, I would like to bring to your attention the fact that SFI forumite Aaron Justice and I have both paid for swords advertised for sale by Steven Swann on the SFI classifieds and been ripped off. I sent almost $300 dollars to Steven for the Albion Gaddhjalt sword he was selling. That was almost a month ago. He was very responsive with his e-mails to me until he got the money, then nothing. I have sent him numerous e-mails asking for the sword to be sent or at least an update, and have been completely ignored. Aaron Justice was told that his sword had been sent over two weeks ago but has gotten nothing and not heard from Steven either. Steven claimed that he was selling his swords to get money from his upcoming wedding. Apparently, this was all just a scheme to cheat fellow forumites out of their hard earned cash. I'm pissed off beyond my ability to communicate here. I thought that the members of SFI were a trustworthy group. Now I have lost faith in that image. I really hope Steven has a good time with Aaron's and my money because he'll be smoking a turd in hell in due time. Sorry to post this on myArmoury.com but I figured that a thief on the SFI classifieds warranted a warning here. I hope this does not ever happen to anyone else. Unfortunately for me and Aaron we learned the hard way that the SFI classifieds contain snakes.

Sorry to hear that Jay - leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

I still reference SFI, for a number of reasons, but have noticed recently that replies to posts just get totally out of hand.

One post recently (from memory started on polishing and finished on handguns) - what sort of monitoring processes are in place ?

I really hope that Nathan and cohorts are extra vigilant and nip this sort of thing in the bud before it gets out of control on this site.

I believe in freedom of speech and all that sort of thing but sometimes you've got to be just a bit ruthless.

All the best in getting your $$$$'s back.

R. McCarthy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ross,

Above all else, the one thing we're striving for is quality of content. We're not worried about the number of posts or the number of hits the site recieves. Let's talk swords, swords, swords. Even here on the Off-Topic Forum things won't be allowed to get too far out into left field.
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hi Ross,

Above all else, the one thing we're striving for is quality of content. We're not worried about the number of posts or the number of hits the site recieves. Let's talk swords, swords, swords. Even here on the Off-Topic Forum things won't be allowed to get too far out into left field.

Big Grin Great Patrick - with an attitude like that, the forums can only go from strength to strength !!

R. McCarthy
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like I'll be starting the process of charging Steven Swann with mail fraud. Whether I'll ever see any of my stolen money again is doubtful. Oh well, live and learn.
Constant and true.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
It looks like I'll be starting the process of charging Steven Swann with mail fraud. Whether I'll ever see any of my stolen money again is doubtful. Oh well, live and learn.

Seems so much of modern business is like taking a leap of faith, to me. Makes you appreciate the proven vendors who've earned trust. Can't always do business with a known quantity, though... Always leaves the chance of something going wrong, as it appears to have here. Best of luck to you Jay... Hope you get some satisfaction in the end. Money or sword, or at least some justice. I'd been hoping to see this come to a more pleasant conclusion for you... Hoped it was a mistake on the sellers end that would be corrected or at least faced up to, but at this point from all you've said, it appears that isn't the case... And as such it is a really disgusting situation. As someone who lives exceedingly close to being destitute at times, I realize the value of a couple hundred dollars. It doesn't seem like much to some folks, but it is a fortune when you really need it...

So, good luck and keep us posted of the situation...
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
As someone who lives exceedingly close to being destitute at times, I realize the value of a couple hundred dollars. It doesn't seem like much to some folks, but it is a fortune when you really need it...

Amen to that Scott. It's funny, a year or two ago losing this amount of money would have made me angry, but wouldn't have been so much of a bite as now. Being a poor student again has really made me remember the value of a dollar. I will be much more vigilant with my purchases in the future. I'll also let you know how this turns out.

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted this thread on SFI as well so if you have seen it there it's nothing new...

Apparently I am now the owner of an Albion Mark Gaddhjalt sword. And (again apparently) the individual that sent me the afformentioned Gaddhjalt sword is none other than the now infamous Steven Swann. That's right folks. Steven has finally sent me a Gaddhjalt sword. You'll notice I did not say the Gaddhjalt sword. That's because it isn't the sword I originally bought from him. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start this tale where we last left off...

This Friday I drove from Maine (where I'm currently attending boatbuilding school) to my parents home in western Massachusetts. My wife, Nicole, drove from upstate New York to meet me so we could spend the weekend together. Tonight she had to return home because she has to go to work in the morning. Anyway, about an hour ago I got a call from her letting me know that she made it home safely. Okay here's where it gets weird. Waiting for her at home was a large box from Georgia addressed to me. Lo and behold when she opened the box up she found a sword and a two page note from Steven Swann. The note contained an apology from Steven and an explanation as to why he is just now sending me a sword for which I paid him last August. So as not to make Steven's personal life completely public I'll just say that he had family trouble which (according to him) superceded any and all of his business ventures. Further, he sent me a Gaddhjalt sword that is a bit different from the one he described on his calssified ad that I purchased. He also told me to relay the message to Aaron Justice that he will do all he can to put their sword deal right as well.

At this point I'm completely dumbfounded and don't really know what to make of all this. I really don't know much more that what I am writing on this thread. One thing I do know is that I need to announce to the entire forum that Steven Swann has made ammends for this whole mess and that he is not a thief. Given the circumstances that I'm sure all of you know well by now, I guess I should be chowing down on a big bucket of crow. However, this is the first time that I have heard from Steven since I sent him the money order in August, and all of my experiences since then have led me to conclude nothing else than Aaron and I were ripped off. I want to publically appologize to Steven for what has happened and publically acknowledge that he has appologized to me and to Aaron. I have a Gaddhjalt sword from Steven and Aaron should be getting some form of restitution as well. Now I have to get in touch with Albion and let them know that their is no need to send me the replacement sword which they offered to me a few weeks ago. So, I guess all has been resolved. However, if that is the case, why do I feel so crappy right now? It could be that I spent the last two and a half months feeling like I and another forumite were taken to the cleaners. It could be that I am feeling tremendously guilty for having wrongly slandered (and even threatened) Steven Swann on Sword Froum on several occasions. It could be that I am feeling bad for Steven in his current situation of having to deal with family issues as well as a tarnished reputation and possible legal troubles. It could also be that I am feeling humiliated for having lashed out at those of you on the forum that tried to defend Steven while I accused him. And then there is my shame for allowing this event to so quickly taint my view of society. Howard Waddell's amazing and generous gesture to put things right immediately cured me of that cynical attitude. (Thank you, Howard, I will forever be grateful.) All of these thoughts are swimming around my brain right now. Maybe I'm being far too dramatic about this whole thing. I don't know. And that, I think, is the biggest conclusion I have drawn from this whole damned experience...that everything I learn shows me just how much I don't know about how it's supposed to be. In any case, I'm sorry Steven for whatever befell you that caused you to lapse in your normally fair dealings. I'm sorry to Aaron for the stress you've gone through. Most of all I'm sorry to you all for dragging everyone into all this mess. I think we should all get back to talking about swords now. That's why we're here after all.

Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Maybe I'm being far too dramatic about this whole thing."

Maybe a little, but that's okay. Big Grin

It seems that swords tend to bring out the drama queen in all of us.

I won't attempt to analyze the whole situation, but, I will offer one piece of advice to everyone reading this.

This whole situation could have been avoided by the simple act of sending you an e-mail. I truly hope that Steven gets his personal life back on track, and this isn't a personal judgement of him. But the facts are these, taking a few minutes to communicate with you could have avoided a lot of added stress for all parties involved.

Communication folks, communication.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

This whole situation could have been avoided by the simple act of sending you an e-mail...taking a few minutes to communicate with you could have avoided a lot of added stress for all parties involved.

Amen to that, Patrick.

Constant and true.
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good it worked out but please do noot apolgise for anything. You have delt with this like a true gentelman and IMHO the excuse makes it worse. You are contactable by mail, e-mail, pm, phone, online on sevaral forums. One second to drop you a one line message would have saved tons and tons of hassle. No man...Appearing like this he has wronged you way worse and to me id be less pissed if I had actually be ripped off.

Anyway glad you have your sword....even if You never weild it and put this episode behind you (what I'd do).

C

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay , you said whats arrived at your house isn't quite as desribed . Maybe you could check with the folks at Albion and
see when the last time Steve placed an order was .

You went into the transaction in good faith and held up your end with promt payment . No need to beat youself up .

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I was ripped off on the SFI classifieds...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic