Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Got Seax? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Don Halter
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Got Seax?         Reply with quote

I finally got around to finishing up a couple blades I've had sitting around for ages. The first is a 1084 steel blade with a solid mastadon ivory handle with rosewood and black fiber spacers and wrought iron fittings. I left some of the grain in the iron gaurd. I can't decide if I want to etch the remainder of the wrought or not. I was going to, but I kinda like the polished finish now that I see it. The sheath isn't finished yet. It's padouk and will have some twisted-iron loops added to the leather for hanging on a belt.

The blade is differentially hardened. It has a 400 grit satin finish and I purposely rubbed out the "hamon". It just didn't look right on a Saxon blade!

The second one here has a pattern welded section down the upper center section...a double/opposing twist. I ground deep into the design, so it results in the opposite lines of "stars". The main blade steel is 1095, with the pattern being 1095/1018. The handle is stag with ebony front and rear caps. Ebony isn't exactly the proper wood...but I love working with it and looks really nice next to the white of the axis stag.

Next up for August is another seax with a "proper" chevron pattern down the spine. I also have some short, hanger and hunting swords started. Hopefully I'll get the time to finish them up this Fall. The new job eats into the playtime, but glad I made the change from the university!

You'll have to excuse the ferric chloride spills on the sketches! Nothing is safe from splatter in my shop!Happy

Don "Krag" Halter
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice eye-candy, Don! Beautiful work!

Call me a freak, but I'm highly addicted to seax. Razz No, really! Of all the variations of the utility/small fighting blades throughout history, the seax (in it's many forms) is really my favorite. The blades here look really nicely done, and the cutlery work is fantastic!

Looks like some other sweet pieces in the works, too...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Don Halter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. They're by far one of my favorite types of blades. I have a collection of small originals as well. Eventually, I'd like to make a reproduction of each one and display them all.

Did I post this in this forum, or did it get moved here?

Don "Krag" Halter
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don Halter wrote:
Did I post this in this forum, or did it get moved here?

You got moved... it's that "Industry Professional" thing...

I'd actually like to see some pics of the originals, too, if you have the time and inclination. Sounds like a neat goal - love to see results like this, too.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Got Seax?         Reply with quote

Don Halter wrote:
I finally got around to finishing up a couple blades I've had sitting around for ages. The first is a 1084 steel blade with a solid mastadon ivory handle with rosewood and black fiber spacers and wrought iron fittings. I left some of the grain in the iron gaurd. I can't decide if I want to etch the remainder of the wrought or not. I was going to, but I kinda like the polished finish now that I see it. The sheath isn't finished yet. It's padouk and will have some twisted-iron loops added to the leather for hanging on a belt.

Nope, I can honestly say I haven't had Seax THAT good in a loooong time!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Don Halter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started to put it in this forum, then put it in the other. I thought I was losing my mind!

I started scanning in the originals with dimentions and such, but never finished. I have several large axe heads as well. I'll be sure and forward all the files to Nathan when I finish.

The best thing is...you can have multiple seax...all in the same day! Laughing Out Loud

Don "Krag" Halter
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Don!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Got Seax?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic