Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Qeunching Oil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Qeunching Oil         Reply with quote

What type of oil should you use to quench. I heard you can use regular motor oil, if so what kind.

Thanks

John
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on the steel type quenched a lot of different oils will work. Both petroleum based and organic like vegetable oils. Some steels need a faster than oil quench, so that is where the steel type comes into play. Some folks frown on the motor oil quench and I understand it but the point is that it *will* work alright. Just stinks and can flare up into flame and gives off some noxious fumes... I've used a mixture of 30 weight motor oil, a couple gallons of diesel fuel, and a cup or 2 of dish soap in there and it works pretty well. Not the best smelling, but it will do the job on things that won't fit into my salt tube...

If you want some very good quality oil made to do the job, do some research into the commercial quenchants. There are a variety out there and some are pretty expensive, but they also are designed specifically for quenching, which is not something motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc. is made for...
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Qeunching Oil         Reply with quote

John Schaefer wrote:
What type of oil should you use to quench. I heard you can use regular motor oil, if so what kind.

Thanks

John

Hey John,

Like Scott said, you can use motor oil, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. The stuff smells bad, and will likely make a large mess of your shop, plus if you are tempering in your home oven, it will make the entire kitchen smell like a garage.

Regular old vegetable oil works rather well, and it fairly cheap, especially is you are just starting out and are on a budget. Peanut oil also works well, if you can get ahold of a large quantity. If you take a long time between projects, you might have to change out the oil, as organics can and will occasionally go rancid.

On the more expensive side of things, there are a few companies out there that specialize in heat-treating and quenching oils specifically for doing bladework. Another step above these is to set up a molten salt rig, but that is a much more expensive route to go.

What type of steel you are using will dictate the type of heat-treating routine you will want incorporate.

Hope this helps.

Jason Dingledine
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Qeunching Oil         Reply with quote

Where can I get alot of vegetable oil.

Thanls

John
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Qeunching Oil         Reply with quote

John Schaefer wrote:
Where can I get alot of vegetable oil.

You can find it at the grocery store all day long... ask someone where the biggest jug is. Another option might be a warehouse store like Sam's Club. Also, a restaraunt supply store might be able to help you out - check your local yellow pages...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use peanut oil. It works pretty good and smells like doughnuts.........

Mmmmmmmmmm....... Doughnuts.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Qeunching Oil
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic