Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim swords, opinions from users? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicklas P.S.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Angus Trim swords, opinions from users?         Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am an ardent student of the sword, trying my best to learn the art the ARMA way. I also perform showfighting on occasion as part of various medieval markets around Europe. My old DelTin 5155 is now 5 seasons old, and showing it rather badly in spite of my best efforts at flat parrying and loving care.

The time for replacing it is fast approaching, since the only real way to fix it up again seems to be sharpening it, which is a bad idea for a full-contact sparring sword.

My question is on the selection of Angus Trim, also known as the 'Dirty Dawg' swords for some reason. I have my eyes on the AT1520, but would like to hear from anyone out there with combat experience on these swords. I realize that his swords ship sharpened, and have enquired about having them shipped blunt.

I am especially interested of course in the resistance to wear and tear due to violent blade on blade and armor contact.

Best regards,

Nicklas.

Per perturbatio , ego convalesco. Per vires , ego lucrum vox. Per vox , ego lucrum victoria. Per victoria , ego lucrum licentia.
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would hesitate to take a sharp AT and blunt it for stage/sparring work. The sharp AT's just aren't designed for such. There is an AT model made for sparring - you can see it over at http://www.christianfletcher.com/.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Jay wrote:
I would hesitate to take a sharp AT and blunt it for stage/sparring work. The sharp AT's just aren't designed for such. There is an AT model made for sparring - you can see it over at http://www.christianfletcher.com/.

Ken's right, a sharp AT is not a good idea for heavy sparring. I am releasing a sparring line, much more suited to heavy sparring than a sword like the AT1520 which is a cut and thrust design, with a decided bent towards cutting......

swords are fun
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nicklas,

The best thing to do is to coordinate your buying with your ARMA study group, so blades from different makers don't get nicked up due to diferent hardnesses and such. If you are looking for something in about the same price range as your DT, try Lutel in the Czech Republic (www.lutel.cz). Their swords are solid, well made and attractive and come blunt for fencing. They work out to about $395 plus $55 shipping.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So you were using the DT5155, the Gothic hand-and-a-half? I remember when that model was on everyone's lips, but now it has kind of faded from view. I bet hilt loosening was a problem with that sword.

Using an ATrim over a Del Tin will be like working with a different species as far as lightness, control, and maneuverablity are concerned. The hilt is also a hundred times easier to retighten than a DT.

For a theatrical production, I used an ATrim type XIIa from the days when Gus sold his stuff through Albion. I had Albion blunt the edge for me. The sword held up very well, with some minor nicks resulting from the dreaded edge parry. However, I agee with others here that it is best to use one of the new Atrim sparring swords for this work. There is another one over at ATrim Direct, the SB1451. Neither the 1450 or 1451 are the prettiest Atrims around, but you could get Christian Fletcher do dress one up very nicely.

An alternitive: the Albion Maestro line, which unfortunately has not yet been released.

Attachment: 38.94 KB
sb1451.jpg
SB1451
Nicklas P.S.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the input over the weekend, I will consider everything that has been said here, and take a careful look at the recommended swords.

Quote:
I bet hilt loosening was a problem with that sword.

Indeed the grip is coming apart, and the original leather wrapping is no more on the old sword. I have rewrapped it with some success, and thus it is still serviceable, but I have my doubts as to how long. It has been a fantastic weapon however, standing up to two-handed axes, heavy theatrical blunts and lots of real "sparring with speed and intent" Wink over the years.

The chzech swordmaker sounds attractive too, since shipping inside Europe is rather cheap - however I must admit to a great deal of personal hesitance at buying chzech-made swords. They tend to be rather crude from what I have seen so far, although many of them do seem well-made.

What attracted me about ATrim was the excellent reputation and rigorous methods of construction, since the sword will be so heavily used.

Well then, I am off to check the markets some more, all of your advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Nicklas.

Per perturbatio , ego convalesco. Per vires , ego lucrum vox. Per vox , ego lucrum victoria. Per victoria , ego lucrum licentia.
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Others to consider for the same use would be Pavel Moc and Radek Lobko. Their sites are the following:

http://www.swords.cz/
http://www.swordcutler.com/

Their price range is the same as Lutel or a little below and IMO they are prettier and yet as solid as Lutel. Here's my sword from Lobko:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2180

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim swords, opinions from users?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic