myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion Poll: Are we weird? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you guys all think you're weird for having an interest like this, imagine having the interest and running a Web site catering to it to boot. That's a whole other level.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
If you guys all think you're weird for having an interest like this, imagine having the interest and running a Web site catering to it to boot. That's a whole other level.

Hmmmmm. Sounds like "obsession" Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Compared to what I run into out on the road every day, collecting swords doesn't even remotely approach "weird". Laughing Out Loud
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Not weird, but out of the bounds of "normal"         Reply with quote

Well, I've found this hobby to be a "conversation killer" among the other playground moms. Actual conversation:

Other Mom: What did your boys do for you for Mother's Day?

Me: (very excited) They gave me a beautiful sword and scabbard and encouraged me to spend an extra hour at the fencing school!

Long, painful silence.

Other Mom: Oh, that's nice.

End of conversation.

Since I got into this hobby via learning and practicing swordsmanship in the Liechtanauer tradition, I've had to explain to my doctor that my extraordinary number of bruises were not from my husband, but from men in masks that I meet in an industrial office park on the weekends. Hmm, that didn't sound any better, did it? Worried

That's why I hang out here, at least you gentlemen understand. Cool

Postscript: I've also learned how to talk NASCAR in order to communicate better with my teenage son.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Not weird, but out of the bounds of "normal"         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Other Mom: What did your boys do for you for Mother's Day?

Me: (very excited) They gave me a beautiful sword and scabbard and encouraged me to spend an extra hour at the fencing school!

Heh, yeah. I'll bet that "discussion" was a wonderful one. From here on out, when you mention "Flowers" and a "Wonderful Vase", we'll know exactly what you mean. Wink

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hmm, that didn't sound any better, did it? Worried

Ok, so now that I've finally got all the coffee out of my nose from laughing...

Yeah, Pamela... we've got your back.

Pamela 'Supermom' Muir wrote:
Postscript: I've also learned how to talk NASCAR in order to communicate better with my teenage son.

Woah! You mean they actually communicate?

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not weird, but out of the bounds of "normal"         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

Since I got into this hobby via learning and practicing swordsmanship in the Liechtanauer tradition, I've had to explain to my doctor that my extraordinary number of bruises were not from my husband, but from men in masks that I meet in an industrial office park on the weekends. Hmm, that didn't sound any better, did it? Worried

It's all part of our evil plan.
We make sure that any women drawn to our crowd has enough bruices to make them think twice about going out with other men™.... Big Grin

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Why do you care what other people think?"-Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel Laureate

So, we should all be out paying hundreds or thousands of dollars each year for the privilege of chasing a little white ball around a park? Catching mercury-tainted fish vastly more expensive than we could get at the local market?Sitting in a tree and shooting animals? Weird is as wierd does. I study history and martial technology, and that seems pretty harmless and upstanding to me. And, when all is said and done, I'll have my collection forever if I want to keep it, and I can pass it along to children or nephews and nieces. Try that with a catfish....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I don't think we ARE actually " weird " only that the Dull Normals might think so: Not important unless the Dull Normal is in a position to make your life miserable. Wives, parents, kids, co-workers you unfortunately talked to about your hobby.
Anybody else you can just ignore !

Any passion will get the same reaction: Ask a Trekky, Sci. Fi. , weigth training, target shooting or computer games geek. ( I'm a bit of all of these to a small degree. Laughing Out Loud )

Oh, maturity is often defined by the joyless as having NO passions and only being concerned by " important things "
Razz Razz Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Dull Normals

Jean,

While I appreciate the levity, let's leave off on the derogatory names.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lance K.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was at a friends house the other day and his mom has these figurines behind glass that she paid $1000 for, each. She actually has quite a few she paid $1000 for, let alone the 100 or so lesser priced figures in the cabinet. They're just ceramic characters, you can't use them or play with them, you can't get joy out of handling them, they just look pretty. This lady is not rich, only makes $40,000 or so, yet she feels to drop thousands and thousands of dollars into ceramic, and there seems to be no problem with that. So there certainly can't be a problem with spending that kind of money on a different type of collectable, one that can be used and appreciated to greater extent even. Other people can easily spend $10,000 suping up thier car, or building a water garden in the back yard, or on a fishing boat, or in airplan rentals to they can use thier pilots license that cost $6,000 to get. The list goes on. Money is made to be spent.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion Poll: Are we weird?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: