Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making Scale Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Making Scale Armour         Reply with quote

Ok...I want to make a set of scale armour. I plan on using it in SCA combat and it's got to look good besides.

Has anyone here got any pointers on construction?

I know I can cut out scales and rivet/sew them to leather backing with some padding and call it good. That's pretty historical but it involves me cutting out, deburring, dishing, and sewing each scale. Given that I want small scales (on the order of 1.5-2"), that's a pretty daunting proposition.

My other option is to purchase scales from Ringlord, weave them together and wear them over some padding and possibly some reinforcing plates of boiled leather or (hold the rotten produce) plastic.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...cat=Scales

The thing is, I really like the look of the Ringlord scales, they are leaf shaped and about the right size (slightly smaller than I might like but close enough). The downside to them is that they don't go together like a period suit of scale and they may not be much protection against blunt trauma.

If I make my own, they will probably be larger scales and may not look quite as nice. So, I'd probably save some money, it wouldn't look quite as cool, and it would take me a lot longer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://theringlord.com/images/products/scales/contractionback.jpg

http://theringlord.com/images/products/scales/scaleedge.jpg

looks like lots of time. it be the same way you do chain mail, only instead of the 1 ring in 4 u have a scale in 4 rings.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
http://theringlord.com/images/products/scales/contractionback.jpg

http://theringlord.com/images/products/scales/scaleedge.jpg

looks like lots of time. it be the same way you do chain mail, only instead of the 1 ring in 4 u have a scale in 4 rings.

Isn't this the type of scale armour that was hypothetically worn by Imperial Roman Officers?
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From my research, Roman officers and cavalry wore scale (lorica squamata) more than the infrantry. However, the stuff from Ringlord only looks like squamata, the construction is entirely different.

Roman scale consisted of a bunch of plates sewn in overlapping rows onto a leather or linen backing. The scales were typically of iron but brass and steel were also known.

The reason I settled on squamata was that it looks good, is flexible (the armor I'm in now restricts my movement and doesn't fit properly), and is historically plausible for 6th C. Britain. Samples of Squamata have been found near Hadrian's Wall, which is north of my persona's locale (Wales) but that's close enough for SCA-work to justify reasonability.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: I'm making lamellar too.         Reply with quote

Hello Shawn.

The Ring Lord's scales are actually connected to each other with rings, to create a type of armour known as "Lamellar". Lamellar is different from scale in that it it has no backing sewn to it. If you're looking to do "Scale" armour, with a backing, the easiest way would probably either to make the scales from leather, or buy some fishing "spinners" of appropriate size/shape, and drill holes in them yourself. Failing that, you could try and see if a local metal company can cut the scales for you out of metal. Dishing is nice, but not completely necasary.

If however you want to make lamellar, The Ring Lord is a good way to start. I myself am making lamellar from leather; my scales look like upside down U's, 2" wide at the base, and 3 3/8" tall.

If you want further information, feel free to email me.

Regards,
M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made a scale skirt off of a germna 14th effigy. GO with 18 gauge or 20 if you make your own.... my 16 gauge one is very very solid but weighs more than I'd like it two. Also if they are larger scales make a center ridge down them will help them hold up. File the edges good!

RPM
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I know the "scale" from Ringlord is more like lamellar but it's a concession towards my not having to fiddle around with making a bunch of my own scales.

I've ordered a couple of samples from Ringlord so I can check out the size, shape, color, etc.

I'll probably cheat and go with the heat coloured aluminum/stainless steel scales. A hauberk should end up weighing about 15 lbs, which isn't too bad.

The fishing spinners are an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how much those cost?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought a whole bunch of these. I strongly recommend you get the larger size scales. It took me inordinately long to put together around 2" square of the stuff. Granted it looks pretty cool, but you need be careful with the rings. Even if you get them attached the right way if they're not laying right the scale will be off.

Oh and BTW, they rust...but I guess I should have assumed that.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm definitely going for the larger scales...I'm hoping it doesn't take that long to put them together. The other aspect is that weaving scales together is something I can do while I'm watching my two year old...grinding/cutting/hammering...not so much. So, given my limited time in my shop these days, something I can make while watching Disney movies is a great boon!
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I intend to try out making scale armour with the Ringlord scales i.e. sewing them to a backing. It looks to me that it should work just fine and be easier and cheaper than linking the scales with rings (which I assume ringlord suggests because they also sell the rings Big Grin)
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Ring Lord         Reply with quote

If you're set on The Ring Lord's rather attractive scales, then I suggest you pick up some riveted maille links to hold them together. Whole Sale Armour sells them by the 10,000 for about 75USD.

Regards,
M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally tried out split rings, but the riveted maille links would probably be less time-consuming and probably just as strong.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
I intend to try out making scale armour with the Ringlord scales i.e. sewing them to a backing. It looks to me that it should work just fine and be easier and cheaper than linking the scales with rings (which I assume ringlord suggests because they also sell the rings Big Grin)

Ahh, now that sounds interesting. What are your thoughts on thread and backing material for making scale to withstand SCA combat? I really don't relish the idea of a torn backing or scales flying off every time I get whalloped (not that it ever happens, of course Big Grin )
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For SCA you could use heavy canvas. There are plenty of Canvas Coat of Plates I have seen.
You may want to think about a few layers as well as good penny washers behind the rivets for good anchers.
You also could make the scale with leather backing with the same washers.
I have used both in the past. Don't forget to really file the edges! They cut through the material if you do not.

RPM
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any suggestions on the weight of leather that I should use?

I'm thinking-heavyweight (12 oz) leather around the kidneys, chest and maybe something lighter for the rest of it. I guess that would require sewing the various pieces of leather together but it doesn't sound too bad.

I wanted a little bit more rigid protection in those areas anyway.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: 9-oz and above.         Reply with quote

I'm using 9 oz for the individual lames on my project; I'm not an SCA member but I'm guessing they want extra kidney protection (as a bruised kidney is ... bad.) so I would either go with thicker leather, or with extra padding there, or with a shock plate (football players wear them, they are made of plastic) under both.

Regards,
M.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This standard was just finished. Took about 40 hours to create. It has a padded linen backing and a steel trauma plate. I intend to make a shirt next.

Attachment: 112.34 KB
Me.jpg

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making Scale Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic