Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...My immediate thoughts exactly. I had a rush of visions or feelings of how that sword could be used the instant I saw the sketch. I actually considered cancelling my Svante for it. Then I came to my senses... and just ordered one also....

Wow. I guess the Munich REALLY spoke to you Exclamation

To steal lyrics from Queensryche - it hit me like a two ton heavy thing.

This particular topic could probably be both a separate thread and my ticket to the looney bin, but there have been a couple of pieces that really caught me on multiple levels. This, obviously, was one. The Knight, Brescia, and Svante were the others that really immediately evoked something deep within me. That's not to say that I don't have a good bond with my other pieces, but I have a much deeper connection with these particular ones.

But to get back to the point, yes. When Mike put the Svante into my hands, I can't imagine what my face revealed, but seeing Mike's reaction to my reaction was pretty interesting. I hated to put it down. Leaving it's aesthetic elements out of it, the feel of it was insane. The point of rotation was literally within a whisper of the tip. For such a massive piece, it was incredibly responsive. For any weapon to shake that foundation, that bond, is pretty spooky, actually. Yet, that's where I found myself... and I hadn't seen anything but Peter's line drawing. Yes, I had seen pics of the original, and those flashed through my head. If I were in the position where it was an either-or, I'd be in a bit of a pickle. If the Munich were in production now, I'm not sure which I would want first. As it stands now, it's all good. I'll just stay happily broke for a while.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
For some reason, I'd like to antique this sword more than any other, especially if I could first tool the wrap and get some gold leaf to adhere to the fittings. I guess part of the attraction is that the threshold is a bit lower for an authentic looking antique job since the original is in such fantastic condition. If folks start antiquing Albion swords, I hope they'll start with this one. I'd love to see a meticulous job that would match the original as closely as possible. Beautiful recreation!

Hi Sean...

I have often thought of taking a NexGen sword and making it look in it's prime. However with the Munich Sword that would be a strange proposition. It is one of the most well preserved swords I have ever seen. So... a new-for-old treatment would actually make it look older than the pristine condition of the original. I mean the pictures of the sword that I have seen you would think that it had been made yesterday and yet it is four centuries old!

ks

Attachment: 97.67 KB
MunichSwordMatrix.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Joachim Nilsson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Somehow, this just doesn't surprise me. That piece just scares the hell out of me. It's on my list, just not at the top. It'll climb a couple of slots when it is actually in production, though, I'll bet.

*big grin*

Quote:
My immediate thoughts exactly. I had a rush of visions or feelings of how that sword could be used the instant I saw the sketch. I actually considered cancelling my Svante for it. Then I came to my senses... and just ordered one also.

Very fortunate that you came to your senses. The Svante is not to be denied! But not to digress to much: The blade of the Munich lends itself to a variety of "hands-on" techniques. It's also well suited for easily moving your hands about on the blade (without drawing them of course). The cross-section of the blade help to "fill out" your fist too. That is provided you don't have hands like pizza plates. Happy

Quote:
Dude, don't ever make the mistake of calling me sane again! Razz

Sir yes Sir! Duly noted. Razz

Quote:
Seriously, I count myself very, very fortunate. Broke, but fortunate. I love each and every piece in my collection - it hasn't really diminished as pieces get added. Each and every one has it's own bit of magic for me. All that aside, though, the Svante knocked me for the biggest loop. I mean, holy crap, what point control! What lethal mass! That's a war sword, to be certain. Again, though, I almost canceled my order for it to bring the Munich home, and I haven't handled it yet. It spoke that loudly to me.

Yep. The Svante is one of the most amazing swords I've ever had the pleasure of handling. But still a different beast than the Munich. They both look very vicious though.

Quote:
... and I'm going to leave your torrid moments with the Svante alone, but only because there isn't a smiley that has mussed hair and is smoking a cigarette. Wink A proverb comes to mind here... something about people who live in glass houses... Razz

ROTFLMAO Razz
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

I have often thought of taking a NexGen sword and making it look in it's prime. However with the Munich Sword that would be a strange proposition. It is one of the most well preserved swords I have ever seen. So... a new-for-old treatment would actually make it look older than the pristine condition of the original. I mean the pictures of the sword that I have seen you would think that it had been made yesterday and yet it is four centuries old!

ks

That is actually one of the things that amazes me the most with the Munich: its pristine condition. Almost uncanny. Found a sword at Hermann Historica once that was (I think) roughly 50 years the Munich's junior, but in almost as good condition. But just almost...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Hi Sean...

ks

Thanks for posting those pictures Kirk! Some of the better ones I've seen...Where did you get them?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wish there was an ETA on the museum line version of the sword. Sigh... the problems I have... Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

ks

I agree with this - that's actually part of the concept I had - a very sublte effect just to give it that "wait... you mean this thing is HOW OLD?!" feel. The original is absolutely amazing.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting pics, Kirk, wow. I've never seen close-up color pics of this one. The selective gilding is very interesting; I also didn't realize the inscription was around the outside of the pommel. Any more pics?

What a fascinating sword.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I just wish there was an ETA on the museum line version of the sword. Sigh... the problems I have... Happy

I don't recall an ETA on the St. Maurice piece yet, either, but it's cool. Given the philosophy behind the Museum Line pieces, I'd much prefer them to be correct rather than rushed. I'm extremely impressed by all of the other ML pieces. This one should prove to be quite amazing.

Besides, if it comes out too soon, I'll just continue to writhe in financial hell as I scrap to pool the funds. Going through that with the Svante is bad enough.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Going through that with the Svante is bad enough.

Suuuuure it is. Quit rubbing our noses in it, will ya?! Razz Big Grin Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, one other thought on antiquing one of these - I would be much more apt to do this with a Next Gen than I would with the Museum Line piece. I'm sure there were others similar to this, and the Munich won't be an exacting representation. As such, I wouldn't feel so attached to keeping it as close as possible to the original.
-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Interesting pics, Kirk, wow. I've never seen close-up color pics of this one. The selective gilding is very interesting; I also didn't realize the inscription was around the outside of the pommel. Any more pics?

What a fascinating sword.

Those photos appear in this topic, too, along with some others.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Hi Sean...

ks

Thanks for posting those pictures Kirk! Some of the better ones I've seen...Where did you get them?

Hi Russ et al...

I had no source info on those pictures... So that means they were either from a time when I first began the photo archive and was not recording source data or they were taken off the internet where source was not given. (It appears the close-up of the pommel may have come from Kenneth's post that Nathan linked.)

[About five years ago I began a photo archive for design purposes. I did not even know about forums then... so I never thought I would need source info. I now realize how important it is and will include it if I have it. I now have about 8000 images and archeological drawings in the archive. After a year of recording source info and backtracking I have sources on about 90% of the material. However I did not have anything on these photos. If anyone runs across the pics, It would be great if you could PM the source to me and I will update the credit info.]

Thanks

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

ks

But that's the challenge--to make it look like the impossibly well-preserved original! I certainly wouldn't want to see the piece look like somebody just fished it out of the Rhine. But to gild the furniture and then create the subtle wear patterns/patina of the original, that would be something.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like this one too.

And I will eventually probably have to break down and buy one. But its going to have to wait for a bit.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I don't recall an ETA on the St. Maurice piece yet, either, but it's cool. Given the philosophy behind the Museum Line pieces, I'd much prefer them to be correct rather than rushed. I'm extremely impressed by all of the other ML pieces. This one should prove to be quite amazing.

Besides, if it comes out too soon, I'll just continue to writhe in financial hell as I scrap to pool the funds. Going through that with the Svante is bad enough.

A couple of very good points there. I'd much rather them get it right then get it quick. This will give me time to put the pennies together to actually afford it when it comes out.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
I had no source info on those pictures... So that means they were either from a time when I first began the photo archive and was not recording source data or they were taken off the internet where source was not given. (It appears the close-up of the pommel may have come from Kenneth's post that Nathan linked.)

[About five years ago I began a photo archive for design purposes. I did not even know about forums then... so I never thought I would need source info. I now realize how important it is and will include it if I have it. I now have about 8000 images and archeological drawings in the archive. After a year of recording source info and backtracking I have sources on about 90% of the material. However I did not have anything on these photos. If anyone runs across the pics, It would be great if you could PM the source to me and I will update the credit info.]

Thanks

ks

WOW! Now that's very interesting...

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Kirk!

I believe those are from the set of photos Peter took of the sword during his documentation.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Howy... I was thinking that the cross shot looked like his work.

I'll PM Peter

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
About the future Museum Line version...

Gilding: The original has steel furniture (not bronze as Oakeshott writes) that has bevels and details fire gilded.

Peter,
I have a question about the fittings and gilding in general. Oakeshott calls the fittings "bronze-gilt" (rather than "gilded bronze") when your pictures clearly show steel (or iron?) accented with a yellow metal. Oakeshott also refers to swords having silver-gilt hilts in his books. Obviously that wouldn't mean gold over silver fittings, since silver would be too soft to make components out of; those swords also appear silver, which would make that the top color, not gold.

Some people use the term gilding to mean applying any metal (most often gold but not always) over another. Could Oakeshott have meant that this sword's fittings had accents of bronze, applied via "gilding" techniques?

"Gilded bronze" would certainly mean gold over bronze fittings. Could "bronze-gilt" and "silver-gilt" mean putting bronze or silver over the base metal?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword...
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: