Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Peserey Handicraft karabela and saifProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jun, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Review: Peserey Handicraft karabela and saif         Reply with quote

I recently received two new swords from Hamit at Peserey Handicraft. These are my third and fourth swords from him. This time I ordered a karabela with two fullers, and at the last minute I added a saif he had available in stock. I also requested to buy two brass guards as parts. Hamit was very friendly as usual and always promptly answered my questions and status requests. This order did take longer than usual to fulfill (over a year) because he had several medical issues which prevented him from working. I don't mind, life happens and he was always very good at keeping me updated. Additionally, he added some embellishment on the guard of the karabela and sent the brass guards I requested for free.

Both swords are very well-handling, as I have come to expect. They really convey that the maker understands how swords should feel in the hand and in motion. Hamit's swords always feel extremely functional.

The stats of the sword are as follows:

Karabela:
Distal Taper: 5mm, 4.5mm, 3mm
OAL: 87cm
Blade: 74.5cm
POB: 19cm
Mass: 674g

Saif:
Distal Taper: 5mm, 4mm, 2mm
OAL: 91cm
Blade: 78.5cm
POB: 24.5cm
Mass: 630g

The karabela in particular cuts extremely well right out of the box. I feel the saif will as well, but unfortunately there is a sharpening issue at the last quarter of the blade. It actually cuts very well in the mid section. I will have to touch it up myself, no big deal on the belt sander.

Once again, I am very happy with Hamit's work and I am glad we have someone to provide good quality near eastern swords, at a good price and without being completely custom. At the time I bought the swords, I believe the karabela was $450-480, the saif was $600.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Peserey Handicraft karabela and saifProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic