Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fantastic Book! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Fantastic Book!         Reply with quote

I just got my copy of George Neumann's "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" and am amazed by the range, depth and detail of this reference. Many of you already know this, but those who don't really must get a copy of this work. I had no idea it was so comprehensive--including basket hilt swords back as far as 1600, for example. It offers basic stats and a detailed paragraph on each weapon and many dozens of examples in any given category (the long section on hangers alone is worth the price of the book). It even provides closeup photos of scabbard details! Categories include hangers, cutlasses, sabres, axes, polearms, belt knives, bayonets and anything else with an edge that was still in use by the 1770s.
I found a shelf-worn, ex libris cloth edition for $24, but the title is available new in paper for about the same price. Barnes and Noble does not carry the title, but Amazon does (I found my used copy through Amazon). Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...p;n=507846

On a humorous note: My copy was once in the library of a private school and bears several stamps proclaiming that such-and-such Christian Academy "Does Not Necessarily Agree with the Contents of This Book". I can understand that they wouldn't want to get tangled up in the whole cut v. thrust controversy.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Leif Hansen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree it's an awesome and fascinating book. I got a new copy of it when visiting Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. It's a preservation/re-creation of a colonial village. The library section of their gift shop was HUGE and exhaustive. Therein I also purchased the books "Swords from Public Collections in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" (mostly Civil War presentation swords) and "Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World." Had I had more spending money and more room in my travel bags I would have gone nuts.
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,
I got my first copy of Neumann's book back when it first came out (1972??) and wore it out with all the browsing/reading I was doing. I sold that copy to a friend for a few bucks, and purchased another one.

Besides the info on the swords, I like the beginning sections of the book, where construction, scabbards, suspension methods, etc.. gets discussed. I would think that reenactors would find this a very useful book- I wonder how many of them are aware of it?

--ElJay
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colonial "American" swords don't seem to get much attention outside of collector's circles, even among reenactors.

For that matter, the colonial period and AWI don't seem to get much glory period.

A couple of years ago, I went to see the reenactment of The Battle of White Plains. I was told by several of the participants that this was the largest AWI event they'd seen, but it was quite small by Civil War reenactment standards. Very well done, though. Neumann narrated the battle. He's a terrific public speaker. This was the month after 9/11, and he brought the message clearly home.

I tend to think of him as the Oakeshott of American arms. Though I guess Peterson has a part of that as well.

One of these days I have to pick up some of his other books. After all, man cannot live by swords alone.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised to hear that Neumann is still around. How much richer our appreciation for colonial edged weapons would be if Peterson also had lived to a ripe old age! And what fantastic personal collections both men have/had! By the way, folks, Dover has republished Peterson's Arms and Armor in Colonial America--another classic.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fantastic Book!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic