Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Agincourt XVa Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Grant Gomm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Albion Agincourt XVa         Reply with quote

I am interested in buying the Albion Agincourt XVa, and wanted to check on a few things from people who are more familliar with this type of sword. I want to have a sword that could have been used between 1320 and 1370 roughly, and my search lead me to this particular one. Even though Albion has it listed as the "Agincourt", which was fought well after the time period I'm interested in, I noticed that this sword is very simmilar to the XVa.1 (1350-1370), the XVa.2 (1320-1340), and the XVa.6 (the "Black Prince" sword, c.1370) in Ewart Oakeshott's book "Records of the Medieval Sword".

I have never actually held nor seen IRL any of the above swords, including Albion's "Agincourt". Does anyone know of any details relating to these swords which would keep the "Agincourt" out of the 1320-1370 time bracket (other than when it was made Razz)?

Also, I want to have a custom scabbard made for this sword which would be true to this same time period, but I'm not too sure where to look for info on scabbards from this time period. It seems as though most scabbards from before 1320 were pretty much integrated into the belt, scabbards between 1370 and 1400 used the hook configuration (as found on illustration 13(a) from Oakeshott's book "The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armor from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry"), and Scabbards circa the 15th century used a varitey of straps and buckles. But what happened during this perid of transition? What would a typical scabbard of an XVa sword have looked like? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey, i did some brief research , and combined it with what you gave stated. Agincourt as i am sure you know, was part of the hundred years war, which according to my research was between 1337 an 1453. http://www.algonet.se/%7Eenda/oakeshott_eng.htm says: Type XV characteristics: This is a very straightforward type. Tapering, straight edges, diamond cross section and pointy - made for thrusting. Oakeshott traces the origins of this type to the end of the 13th century, but it became more widely used in the 14th and 15th centuries, falling out of use in the beginning of the 16th century. that would mean that swords of this time were probably used during the war. in the "The Knight and His Weapons" Oakestott says something about swords being used for many centuries after their making, he gives the example of medieval swords being used in the english civil war. so it is possible that a sword based on designs from earlier centuries could have been used at Agincourt.
did this help you at all?

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Robert Grant Gomm

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, I'm actually asking if there are any characteristics of this sword which would keep it from being in use before the battle of Agincourt (effective edge, pob, etc...). Remember that Armor and weapons evolved greatly during the hundred years war, and it is very possible that while one sword may appear like another, 50 years of sword evolution and battles may have a great effect on the actual design and performance of the specific weapon.

I guess I'm wondering if this particular sword could have been used at Crécy or Poitiers - 59 years before Agincourt.

And what means would have been used to suspend the scabbard from the belt (plaque belt?)?
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i really don't have any idea about there scabbards etc.
I do know however that swords were used for long periods of time, it could be made in one century and still be in use well in to the next. As such it is my personal and admitidly uneducated opinion that this sword could have been used during the Poiteirs and Crecy. Like i said, my opionion is rather uneducated. I still have a lot more to learn, so i could be very wrong.
I welcome any contradictions any one might have.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Agincourt XVa
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic