Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2023?& What did you get in 2022? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: What's On Your List for 2023?& What did you get in 2022?         Reply with quote

Due to popular demand, here is that annual thread. I only got one notable sword in 2022 - a custom Wakefield sword from A&A. As for 2023, maybe a Vision Tauber. How about you?
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's On Your List for 2023?& What did you get in 2         Reply with quote

Here's how I answered that last year:

Sam Barris wrote:
Possibly an Albion Warwick, though I might wait to see what other hilts they have coming. Regardless, one of those is eventually coming to live with me. This might also be the year I make a complete package out of a custom A&A rapier I have; namely, a nice matching dagger, hanger, and scabbards. This is at least the third year I've said as much, so we'll see if I manage it.

I'll also probably be putting an Albion Dane, A&A Town Guard, pattern-welded Pikula sword, and a different custom A&A rapier up for sale. Partly to fund the above, partly because they should really be in homes where they'd spend less time in their boxes.

Happy new year, everyone!

This is all still pretty much valid. I had no bandwidth to deal with any of it in the last year. Hoping 2023 is a little bit less harrowing. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2023 2:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In 2022 I finished the new bowcase and arrows for the mini-bow I got in 2020, as well as the vampire-slaying dagger and fancy sax (which I've already posted here). Also made a scabbard for my all-steel akinakes, but it's not very interesting-looking, and a sheath for the Jagdnicker I posted in the last thread. Got further work done on my German hunting trousse and spare parts project.

Edit: I also made some Persian spears (two sharp and two blunt) to take to the reenactment at Plataea... and wound up giving them away after the event because they were so expensive and difficult to get through the airport. Kind of regretting that now but oh well.

This year I hope to finish the hunting trousse (although I'm expanding the scope of that project, so I'll only be finishing the parts that I originally planned) and the spare parts project, make a matching belt and possibly a companion knife for the sax, and assemble a 17th-century pillow sword (which is going to require a custom blade, so the progress I can make on it is partly up to whichever bladesmith I order from). If I have time after that, also do a 17th-century cutlass.

Last edited by Dan D'Silva on Mon 09 Jan, 2023 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It isn't the holiday season without Roger's post. Happy As mentioned in last year's thread, 2022 saw these:

My redone Albion Regent and new scabbard from Bill Grandy/Historical Handcrafts:

Davis Reproductions Mainz gladius.

Plus a number of books for my library.

For 2023, I have a Wallace Collection rondel on order from Tod's Workshop (not the Tod Cutler version, but a custom one). After Tod's 3-video series that including making one, comparing to the original with Toby Capwell, and testing it with Matt Easton, I had to get one. Happy

I'll likely pick up another book or two and maybe another smaller item or two.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Roger!

Here's what I got in 2022.

Top: Windlass / Royal Armory XVI with type W pommel. One can quibble about the scabbard, grip, and multiple logos, but overall the historical accuracy, weight, balance and finish are pretty frickin' awesome for the price, at least on the one I got it. It compares to some much higher end pieces I won't mention. Question is whether they will maintain that level of quality control.

Bottom: Del Tin Late Viking Sword from KoH, loosely based on the Cawood sword. We've seen this one around for years in various forms, but I took a shine to the Xa blade and grip on this one. It's typical Del Tin: heavy and rough in spots, but has a much better mass distribution than the ones I owned years ago. It's fine for my purpose (for swingin' around the house).

Unlikely I will buy much more this year, at least higher end, until I pay off the bills from our recent move.

Regards, J.D.

Attachment: 63.08 KB
20230111_153546.jpg

Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved to exclusively collecting antiques.. so more and more of the Napoleonic Wars. Highlight from 2022 was the purchase of a well provenanced Type N from ~1100 that I have just put on a 3 year loan to the Royal Armouries at Leeds.

On a separate note, for 2023, I think we need to do more to keep this forum alive. So much of what I have always come here for for nearly 20 years has moved to facebook.

Historia magistra vitae est
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2023 3:37 am    Post subject: This year...         Reply with quote

Next month I expect a custom scabbard and suspension for custom A&A longsword from A&A (the scabbard is the new bit).

In March, a Todd's stuff scabbard and suspension for my Albion Crecy.

Official last thing sometime this year, maybe, I really want a wedge riveted bishops mantle but they have been impossible to find since the pandemic started for some reason. Can find round rivet and can find butted mail and titanium and even welded mail from time to time, but can't find wedge riveted at all.

The "if I get crazy" last thing, maybe a helmet, a brigandine, or something pokey from Todd's Stuff.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
I have moved to exclusively collecting antiques.. so more and more of the Napoleonic Wars. Highlight from 2022 was the purchase of a well provenanced Type N from ~1100 that I have just put on a 3 year loan to the Royal Armouries at Leeds.

On a separate note, for 2023, I think we need to do more to keep this forum alive. So much of what I have always come here for for nearly 20 years has moved to facebook.

Can we see the type N? Good on 'ya for lending it to Leeds.

I think that social media is destroying our attention spans. This used to be the place for scholarly discussions about weapons, but since I started using Twitter for professional reasons, I find I don't have energy for long, thoughtful posts.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Can we see the type N? Good on 'ya for lending it to Leeds.

Certainly! For the past 20+ years it has been on display in Hungary at the Royal Palace of Godollo. Previously it was on display elsewhere as part of a private collection of Dr Andras Grad, and previously Jozsef Baksa. The object provenance goes back to before the Second World War.

I’m having difficulty uploading more photos from my mobile.

The sword dates from around AD 1100-1150, with an Oakeshott Type N pommel, a type XII blade, and has a lovely SOS inscription: O S O S O in a latten material. Oakeshott suggested SOS inscriptions to be, perhaps, 'Santa o (maria) Sancta'. There is also a running theory that SOS stands for 'Salvator Omnipotens Salvator' and part of the invocation: 'Cum quo ei Dominus S. O. S.
(Salvator Omnipotens Salvator) auxilietur adversus partes amen'.

It would appear to fit within this category.

There are some other ‘unique’ tells which would preclude this from being ‘fake’, though I am a bit loathe to disclose them given that I can only see this as aiding forgers in the future. Forgery is a big problem at the minute in the collecting world.

All the best!

Attachment: 108.53 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 108.53 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 177.86 KB
[ Download ]

Historia magistra vitae est
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Todd's Stuff stuff         Reply with quote

My stuff from Todd's Stuff will apparently be here in about four days meaning that it is only somewhere between 45 and 60 days ahead of schedule based on the quote at the time of my order submission. Its something I don't think I can ever recall saying about any vendor involved with this hobby before. So, just let me repeat that so it can sink in. My Todd's Stuff stuff, is going to arrive ahead of schedule!

Waaaaayyyy! Aheaaaaadddd! Oooooffffff! Scheduuuuulllleeeee!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2023?& What did you get in 2022?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic