Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Alla Tedesca harnesses in art. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Alla Tedesca harnesses in art.         Reply with quote

I came accross this epic (and interesting) rant about bevors:

https://harringtoncompanye.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/bevors-how-not-to-wear-them/

... which I mostly agree with. Bevors aren't reenactor necklaces, they are meant to be firmly strapped down to protect your throat and lower face.

Having said that, there is this image in that article which interested me since it is (a) supposedly Italian and (b) the detailed representation of what looks like an Italian made Alla Tedesca export harness (or something very similar to it) being worn by the guy in the middle. Does anybody know where exactly this relief can be found? ... and what the date is? I'm guessing 1460-1480 but I'd like to know for sure.

Just for comparison, below is the effigy of Ulrich Busch zu Vilsheim who is wearing a similar kit, but slightly more fluted:

Attachment: 164.2 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 321.53 KB
[ Download ]
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The relief is from the Castel Nuovo in Naples.

It was made between 1453 and 1466 by Francesco Laurana, a Venetian artist.

It doesn't represent alla tedesca armour, just regular suits from Italy.

Bevors are quite rare in Italian art, but they can be found sometimes, and they are definitely mentioned multiple times in inventories.

Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Augusto Boer Bront wrote:
The relief is from the Castel Nuovo in Naples.

It was made between 1453 and 1466 by Francesco Laurana, a Venetian artist.

It doesn't represent alla tedesca armour, just regular suits from Italy.

Bevors are quite rare in Italian art, but they can be found sometimes, and they are definitely mentioned multiple times in inventories.

Thanks for that. Buuut one nitpick ... I did say:

Quote:
... Alla Tedesca export harness (or something very similar to it)

The distinction between 'Alla Tedesca' and Italian harnesses is pretty fuzzy as far as I can tell. The export harness Ulrich Busch zu Vilsheim is wearing is basically identical to the one in that relief except that they've added some fluting. I've been collecting German effigies where the subject is wearing 'Alla Tedesca' as research for a harness of that sort which I've been building and this relief interests me because a lot of the time creating an 'Alla Tedesca' harness seems to have consisted of converting an off-the-shelf Italian harnesses by adding some fluting, a bevor and replacing the armet with a German style sallet and shipping it off to the customer across the Alps. Thus that relief is useful for my study of features also seen in 'Alla Tedesca' harnesses. Sometimes it's also hard to tell the difference between essentially similar German made harnesses and genuine Italian 'Alla Tedesca'. What usually gives away the German made 'Alla Tedesca-esque' harnesses is the German style folding lance rest and the heavier fluting.

Like this for example, lots of Italian features, articulated elbows, re-enforced Italian style shoulders, asymmetric elbows but also fairly heavy fluting and a German style folding lance rest. It's hard to tell if this is a 'Alla Tedesca-esque', say perhaps a Landhut style harness or a genuine 'Alla Tedesca' import from Italy. Or maybe it's a genuine Italian 'Alla Tedesca' import upgraded with German decorations and components? ... The German helmet on the Schwäbisch Gmünd Italian made 'Alla Tedesca' harness has been speculated to be a replacement/upgrade procured by the original wearer.

Attachment: 113.56 KB
Ritter Hanns von Holnstain (+1483). [ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Alla Tedesca harnesses in art.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic