Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mace modification and repair Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Mace modification and repair         Reply with quote

Hi again

I have a gothic mace from A&A and I was wondering if there is anyway to fill the holes on the flanges, as in making the pierced flanges solid. I understand one way is through filling and wleding but I lack the tools and experience.

Also I was testing the mace on a metal pole(probably shouldn't have) and I just noticed the head is a little bent, but only noticable at a certain angle, how can I straighten the head?

Thanks
Arne G.

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mace modification and repair         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
Hi again

I have a gothic mace from A&A and I was wondering if there is anyway to fill the holes on the flanges, as in making the pierced flanges solid. I understand one way is through filling and wleding but I lack the tools and experience.

Also I was testing the mace on a metal pole(probably shouldn't have) and I just noticed the head is a little bent, but only noticable at a certain angle, how can I straighten the head?

Thanks

You are correct that the only way to fill the holes would be by means of welding and then grinding/filing flush. I don't recommend it since the original that the replica is based on has the holes.

And, no, banging on the pole was perhaps not a good idea :-) However, if you can get access to an anvil and a reasonably heavy hammer (perhaps 2-3 lbs or so) you should be able to straighten it out.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, do I use a non metal mallet or a steel hammer?

Thanks
Arne G.

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
Thank you for the reply, do I use a non metal mallet or a steel hammer?

Thanks

Ideally you want to avoid anything that would mar the metal, so either non-metal or at least a softer metal. However, that presents a challenge since you also need enough concentrated mass to move the steel haft of the mace. Admittedly even a 2 lbs hammer might or might not be quite enough, though 3+ lbs will definitely work.

In my shop I have a carpenter's mallet that has a steel socket with rawhide inserts that weighs about 4 lbs IIRC, which is what I would (and indeed have) used for this very situation (I have a very old version of the A&A mace you describe, that came to me with a slight bend that I fixed using this tool).

Not knowing what you have access to for tools, it's hard for me give much more advice than that. If you have to use a steel hammer and anvil, and can't protect the haft with perhaps thin rubber or some leather wrapped around it while you pound on it, then expect to have to do some additional finishing work to correct any surface damage you do.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ended up fixing it as you suggested and used a 24 oz mallet, I don't know whats inside but the shell is rubber. I don't have access to an anvil so a wooden chair was destroyed in the repair process :/. So alls well now thank you for the help!
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
I ended up fixing it as you suggested and used a 24 oz mallet, I don't know whats inside but the shell is rubber. I don't have access to an anvil so a wooden chair was destroyed in the repair process :/. So alls well now thank you for the help!

Glad it worked out - sorry about the poor chair, though!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mace modification and repair
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic