Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Farbauti" by Jake Powning Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantisies         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Interesting how different people take different associations with the same word. One thing I learned today that fantasy can mean "a coin usually not intended for circulation as currency and often issued by a dubious authority " according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. LOL I never knew that one. Wink

Joel
D'oh! I just took $20 worth of those in change yesterday at the grocery store! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Seriously though, I think many of us confuse fantasy with display. A purely display piece would be one of those 420 stainless LotR-type pieces designed purely for wallhanging; wheres, a fantasy sword can be a fully-functional sword that just isn't an exact copy of an historical example, like the one shown in this thread. I still can't get over that pattern-welded blade! Absolutely gorgeous! Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about this: let's all decide not to engage in the tired old semantic argument of what "fantasy" means and concentrate on the focus of the original post, the sword.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Patrick "The Hammer"         Reply with quote

LOL I think I am gonna tag Patrick "The Hammer" for his bluntness Wink But The Hammer is correct, the beautiful steel is the object here. Ever since I first saw Jake's work I have been impressed by his wood carving. I mean the man has first-class talent in the carving department. I do wonder though how comfortable the grip is Thomas. Please give us a full, if not formal, report on the sword when it arrives. Hehe and remember to include stats so we can all whistle and catcall at this beauty.

Joel
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
How about this: let's all decide not to engage in the tired old semantic argument of what "fantasy" means and concentrate on the focus of the original post, the sword.

Agreed.

I'm not a real fan of viking saga stuff (I like stories with happy endings Razz ) but I do like this sword. Quite a piece of work. a couple questions about it; is the grip different on each side? It looks like it from the pics. Were the hilt pieces cast or forged? They have a ruggedness about them that I like.

As for the historicalness (is that a word? WTF?! ), I would call this a Wheeler type VI extended Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud .

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hammer time! (no, I'm not going to wear genie pants)

The one thing I don't like about this piece is the grip length. To my eye it would look much better as a single-handed sword. That's just a personal preference though. I've always loved the organic appearance of Jake's work. By that I mean his use of natural materials like wood and bone combined with non-ferrous metals like bronze. I love the warm natural look to his stuff.

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I think it's great that this sword is making people rethink their definition of "Fantasy". Not many blades have the ability to get people to redefine their views. I think it's a real testament to the power of Jake's art.

A few other notes.

The Eye of Odin on on one side of the guard is an inlay of 400 layer pattern welded damascus that Jake calls "Valkyrie's Hair". This represents the eye that Odin sacrificed for knowledge.

The eye socket on the other side is empty, representing the scar that Odin bears.

The pommel is of traditional 2-piece construction.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the Hilt is different on both sides.

As for the Hilt length, the proportions of the blade came from the descriptions of some of the swords from the sagas. Most notably the sword Beowulf used to slay Grendel's mother, ie as if "made by giants".

The Hilt also represents Yggdrasil, and it wouldn't really have the same visual effect with the typical 3-4 inch length. The world tree would Yggbonzai instead. =)

This was one of my requests, and I'm sure Jake would make a more historical hilt if asked.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:

As for the historicalness (is that a word? WTF?! ), I would call this a Wheeler type VI extended Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud .

I asked for a Wheeler type VI guard and pommel with a Geibig Type 5 Blade.

And that's pretty much what I got.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Hence my reason for including the modifier "that I think of." It was never intended as more than an opinion.

As for the sword, two questions:

One, what kind of wood are the grip and scabbard made of? Just curious.

Two, is there a particular reason that you chose to have the guard that short? I think it looks just fine, but I don't know that I would have thought to go with those proportions.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ash, it could be no other.

As for the guard size, you'd have to ask Jake that.

I love the lines that it makes for the overall size and doesn't seem to be that much smaller than a period guard.

Could even be an optical illusion.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic looking sword thomas, yet more fine work by jake,
i cant add any comment to the historical or not opinions as i'm yet to really look through viking types,although here and elswhere is beginning to make me sit up and pay more attention, Cool
i do know i've liked all of jake's work so far though no matter which banner they fall into, Happy
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My two cents: Damn historical accuracy. I like to see it 'done the old way' as much as anyone, but this is WAY COOL. If I lived in Viking times, I'd want one just like it. Yeah. Mmmm-hmmmm.......shweet. mcm.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...I've always loved the organic appearance of Jake's work. By that I mean his use of natural materials like wood and bone combined with non-ferrous metals like bronze. I love the warm natural look to his stuff.

I also really like the organic nature of Mr. Powning's work, and also the way he applies a consistent theme of the wood working through both scabbard and hilt. He also makes very nice blades.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A thread on another forum alterted me to some evidence to support that this may in fact be more historical than previously thought.

See page 5:
http://viking.hgo.se/Newsletter/NEWS1.pdf
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Thomas! That's a very interesting read.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very looooooong handle on a real Viking sword: So much for the argument that a very long handled Viking sword is pure fantasy.

I wonder if there is a picture of this one showing the whole thing were we would see if the blade was also longer than usual.
( Edited: Just had another look and OOPS the rest of the blade seems to be " GONE ". )

This would be worth bringing to the attention of Peter Johnsson if he is not already aware of it's existence.

Just goes to show that what we know about history depends on what has survived and that although we can't used the " no proof against it " argument to say that something is historically correct. We shouldn't rush to dismiss something as 100% not historical either.

Our certainties can be shaken by the next shovel full of dirt at an archaeological site. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
A thread on another forum alterted me to some evidence to support that this may in fact be more historical than previously thought....

How about that? Thanks, Thomas, this was very enlightening.
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Alex Oster wrote:
no one will give you carp about that masterpiece Big Grin awesome!

No, but they may give you halibut or salmon..... Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Someone strike this man with a fish....

More importantly how does the sword balance?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas,

I was looking at Mr. Powning's website a few months ago and that particular sword really caught my attention. congratulations on a very very beautiful sword.

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
The Eye of Odin on on one side of the guard is an inlay of 400 layer pattern welded damascus that Jake calls "Valkyrie's Hair". This represents the eye that Odin sacrificed for knowledge.

The eye socket on the other side is empty, representing the scar that Odin bears.

Unless I'm mistaken, the runes just below the crossguard spell "GRIMNIR", which is old Norse for "The Masked One". This was one of the names that Odin went by when he traveled Midgard.

I don't understand the runes on the other side. They appear to spell "THROR". The only reference I have found thus far for this is from Lord of the Rings. Perhaps someone else could enlighten us on this.

<edit> I found a reference for THROR: It was another name for Odin, meaning "Burgeoning" or "Inciter to Strife". Talk about an appropriate name for your sword!

That's beautiful sword you have there. Congrats on a fine purchase!

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Farbauti" by Jake Powning
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: