Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Galgano Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow someone did try to remove the sword, and broke it? That's probably why it is now under a locked dome.
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah apparently so. I just wish there was more information on the St. Galgano sword.
My curiosity is killing me! I wonder if the book mentioned in the e-mail has any info.
Any one read the book??? Big Grin

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
Yeah apparently so. I just wish there was more information on the St. Galgano sword.
My curiosity is killing me! I wonder if the book mentioned in the e-mail has any info.
Any one read the book??? Big Grin

Heh. I think it's a fairly safe bet to say that a book titled "Saint Galgano and the Sword in the Stone" would have more info on the subject. Happy

Unfortunately I couldn't find any mention of an English translation, although the Italian original is all over the Net and apparently readily available.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

See article below

Last edited by Helen Miller on Sun 01 May, 2005 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Damiano Andreini could be correct, I found this:

From Archaeology Magazine
A News Brief by Roberto Bartoloni
Volume 55 Number 1, January/February 2002

"For centuries skeptics have questioned the legend of the "Italian Excalibur," a sword allegedly plunged into a stone by Galgano Guidotti, a twelfth-century knight who gave up warmongering to become a hermit and, after his death, was made a saint. A University of Pavia team recently decided to investigate the legend, and confirmed that the style and composition of the sword, still displayed in its rock in a small chapel in Tuscany, is consistent with Guidotti's time. A ground-penetrating radar survey of the chapel revealed an underground cavity near the stone that may be Guidotti's tomb, while two mummified hands displayed in the chapel, allegedly from someone who attempted to remove the sword, have been carbon-dated to the twelfth century. Further research into Guidotti's sword is expected, but readers should be informed that the sword was easily removable from the stone until 1924, when the crevice was filled with lead."
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, very interesting even if it sort of negates the idea of a sword unremovable from the stone due to some " Magic ".

So no great mystery if a hole was made in a stone and the sword slipped into it: The whole thing of it being a miracle is sort of not supported by facts.

But more research about this sword should be interesting.

Well pouring lead into the hole in 1924 seems to me today as a stupid thing to do if it makes getting the sword out difficult without doing damage to the sword.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the moment my pet theory is that there was a narrow hole in the rock, probably filled with loose earth, and signore Guidotti just happened to hit that insted of solid stone when he sought to demonstrate his argument to the Lord. Whether the sword actually clove through stone is relatively immaterial next to the realization that driving it into bedrock was NOT, in fact, impossible; and hitting such a narrow window by chance is in itself a miracle as big as any; so whether the good knight actually noticed what happened, or thought he'd thrust his sword into the rock itself, either way it was clearly brought about by divine interference and the power of God, and the implications plain enough. Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko;

Interesting theory, and I was not aware of the details of the story, history or legend.

But improbable things happen all the time, just a personal example:

Years ago I was playing with cards were you compete at trowing them as close to a wall as possible and one card hit the wall 5 feet off the floor and " Miraculously " didn't fall to the ground Eek!

The little kid and I who were playing ( I was babysitting. ) went up to the wall and found that the card had wedged itself in a tiny crack ( And I mean hairline crack Surprised ) in an otherwise smooth wall.

The odds of that happening I don't even want to imagine: I could probably have tried repeating this for the last 30 years 18 hours a day nonstop with a predictable success rate of ZERO. ( Probably could spend a couple of million years trying to duplicate this. )

Now that something like this happened exactly when Sir Guidotti was making an important point is doubly spooky and also the fact that this event probably changed the direction of the rest of his life.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Galgano
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: