Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Over-Armor Textiles: Late 14th century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff Cierniak

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Over-Armor Textiles: Late 14th century         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've been looking at some Italian sources as I begin planning my harness instead of Polish. My martial practice works mostly from Italian sources, after all. In some of these images, it seems that there is a textile tight over their coat of plates, because we don't see any rivets, buckles, etc.

Because of the pattern, would this be embroidered? Is there a name for the cloth that goes over part of their great helms? Also, do we think the material of their bracers and greaves are some copper alloy, or perhaps leather or something? The lacing on the greaves on the guy on the right makes me think not metal, but I could certainly be wrong, and probably am.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4365/16777/

I like the look of these fellas as well with the patterned textile. Are these helmets supposed to be dog-faced bascinets, or flat faced do we think?

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4317/17239/

Thanks all!
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the look of these fellas as well with the patterned textile. Are these helmets supposed to be dog-faced bascinets, or flat faced do we think?

The two on the right are dog/pig faced types, I think. The ones with the shorter, narrower snout. The one on the left probably the same, though a flatter type might be intended.

Anthony Clipsom
Jeff Cierniak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, after some research it kind of looks like an early form of the dog-faced, a much smaller, shorter "snout." To complicate things, the helmet of the guy standing on the right sort of looks like a clap-visor rather than side hinge points. Interesting.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Over-Armor Textiles: Late 14th century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic