Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > DIY Rondel DaggerDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: DIY Rondel Dagger         Reply with quote

Rondel daggers have great appeal for me. There's tremendous variety, and that design lattitude is helpful to anyone wishing to make one. The one I finished this week has no particular historical reference. It's a little too broad and large to have an exact match, though if I had to guess I'd say it's closest to some German double-edged types of the early 16th c. I've taken notes from different periods, cultures and forms to create a modern design.

The blade is the $15 USD Atlanta Cutlery Arkansas Toothpick I've used in several projects. https://www.atlantacutlery.com/arkansas-toothpick-blade-12
It's a great blade. I wish Windlass would triple the length and give us a full-size Type XVIII bare sword blade for $50!

My project, with trimmed tang, is 16" overall and 1.75" wide at the base of the blade. The grip is of rounded quadrangular section with leather wrap. As far as I know, that wrap is an unusual treatment for a dagger grip. Historically, rondel dagger grips show enormous variety of materials, shaping and decoration, but I haven't seen many that were wrapped like this. I think it's likely that some were, because it proved practical for swords. This dagger is fit to my hand, so when I grip it the edges of my fist are tight against the rondels.

The rondels are shaped from mild-steel flat stock. I decided to leave the evidence of the hot work on these--hammer and file marks, high and low spots, discoloration, etc.--because I like the contrast of those rough bits with the overall modern look of the piece. I made the lower rondel oval to cover the width of the blade without extending far out over the flats. A truly round rondel wouldn't look terrible, but it would be huge and would have to be cut from stock I don't have on hand.

I'm undecided on a sheath--whether or not to make one and what to make if I proceed. The rondel dagger sheath shown in the image at bottom below is a good candidate. Note the two by-knives and contrasting suspension lace. Something with a bit of flash would work well with the austere design of the dagger.

Attachment: 374.21 KB
rondel1.jpg

Attachment: 253.54 KB
rondel2.jpg

Attachment: 210.6 KB
rondel3.jpg

Attachment: 621.57 KB
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.44.42 AM.png

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice one! I like the simple look - and with that scabbard, itīd look great.
Just out of curiosity - how did you do the handle? Did you drill a hole through a block of wood, or is it a sandwich construction? With the wrap & leather cover, a sandwich construction would be OK, and itīs easier to make it tight around the flat part of the tang.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made the grip core like a sword grip--two slabs of wood, each with the profile of the tang and half the depth of the tang chiseled out of it. As you say, it's a tight fit that can't work loose over time and turn on the tang. I've never tried the bored-through or burned-through methods, but this method is simple and effective.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice DIY work as you usually do. Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > DIY Rondel DaggerDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic