Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan K. Kramer

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration         Reply with quote

Anyone recognize the manufacturer of this Repro Spatha Lombard Migration Sword? I'll post more photos as threads. I purchased it thinking it was a CAS Iberia or Philippine piece due to the hardwood slab handles, the brass pines and what appeared to be cast brass pommel and handle and a high polish (chrome?) oval grind with a center runnel with some tarnish and surface patina rust.

Well the package arrives and the sword up close appears to be hollow ground, with stacked brass plates making up the pommel and the collars on either side of the handle. The brass is very highly finished and there aren't any cast marks or air bubbles evident. The tang runs the width of the handle. The blade is a bit blade heavy, but seems to work well for slashing or from horseback. The more I look at it, the more confused it get, as whoever made it - made it for business! If it is an overseas import it is the finest one I've ever seen. There are no makers or manufacturers marks or stamps.

Any help, leads or ideas would be appreciated. I'll post as many photos as I can in threads. Whatever it is, it sure is a beauty up close! Thanks!

Attachment: 65.51 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 87.74 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 62.48 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 66.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 66.67 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 87.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 62.98 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 169.94 KB
[ Download ]
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bryan,
Welcome,
Could be wrong but aside from CASI, who have made a few gems over the years,
Glenn Parrell Viking metal works popped into my head,
along with Kirby Wise,
at least worth a look at their back catalogue, but Kirby usually marked his work from memory
what are the measures please,
looks a nice piece,
Bryan K. Kramer

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration Sword         Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

Sent you a lengthy PM. Thanks for the input! I've attached a photo with measurements for this thread. You've got more detailed measurements in your inbox,

Regards,

Bryan Happy

Attachment: 38.94 KB
[ Download ]
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a Kris Cutlery
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agree with Ben, this is definitely a Kris Cutlery piece, likely early to mid 1990's production. Their more recent production has iron fittings and a bit more historically correct appearance. I've accurized one of these in the past. Good steel but a bit on the heavy side.
Bryan K. Kramer

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on Kris Cutlery. As you've said, it doesn't look like their current production, but something from the 1990's fits in the time frame of a backstory I got from the seller. Also, if you've worked on one, you've got to know from experience. Was it the same model that you upgraded? You're exactly right on about it being good steel but a bit on the heavy side.

I've send photos to Kris Cutlery - who knows, they might recognize it. If they can confirm it, it sure would be a great example of the resourcefulness, knowledge and helpfulness of this community. Thanks again all, and will keep you posted. Happy
Arne G.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration         Reply with quote

Bryan K. Kramer wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on Kris Cutlery. As you've said, it doesn't look like their current production, but something from the 1990's fits in the time frame of a backstory I got from the seller. Also, if you've worked on one, you've got to know from experience. Was it the same model that you upgraded? You're exactly right on about it being good steel but a bit on the heavy side.

I've send photos to Kris Cutlery - who knows, they might recognize it. If they can confirm it, it sure would be a great example of the resourcefulness, knowledge and helpfulness of this community. Thanks again all, and will keep you posted. Happy

Not identical, but very similar. I purchased mine in 1992, and it was the same in general outline but differed in detail. I can probably narrow down the date a little more closely but I'd have to dig out my old KC catalogs and look at the offerings.
Bryan K. Kramer

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration         Reply with quote

Thanks Arne! (And Ben too, for the initial assessment) Sent you a PM. Happy
Arne G.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are before and after pix of the sword in question. Quality of the "before" pix is not great, unfortunately - I was never much of a photographer...

Attachment: 96.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.89 KB
[ Download ]
Bryan K. Kramer

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne,

Sent you a length PM - just want to say publicly that the upgrade work you did on that KC was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that with me and also all of the details you're sharing with me (and everyone else who is sharing with me their knowledge and insight.).

Regards,

Bryan

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help to Identify Repro Spatha Lombard Migration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic