Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16th-century tournament sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Albert Collins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: 16th-century tournament sword         Reply with quote

I am looking for original or good contemporary artwork on foot-tournament swords. In Swedish sources the had a kind of foot tournament with multiple opponents, fighting each other with swords, trying to break the sword on the opponent. the broken sword was placed in a barrel and the fighter grabbed a new sword. when the mele was over the broken swords in the barrelös where counted, and the one with most broken swords was the winner. 1564 the Swedish king Erik XIV ordered 60 swords for the yearly Christmas tournament in Stockholm. It is this kind of sword I am trying to find references to. I imagine them to be quite simple in design and poor in construction, so the easy brake. hope anyone has some information. we would like to make a reconstruction on such a sword to the upcoming exhibition about the masterpiece armour that will be held in Royal armouries in Stockholm starting at the 22nd October this year. Thank you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16th-century tournament sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic