Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom langes messer reproduction by Landsknecht EmporiumProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Custom langes messer reproduction by Landsknecht Emporium         Reply with quote

I recently received a reproduction of an original messer/saber sold by Fricker Historische Waffen some years ago. The sword has a saber style blade, and messer constructed grip with with the guard slid over and pinned through the blade, no nagel and curved quillons. Thankfully, the Zornhau historical martial arts group were able to examine the sword and produced two very thorough (though sometimes conflicting) data sheets. While no other examples quite like this sword are known today, its construction appears very authentic and similar types can be seen in period art.

The original:

A similar sword as depicted by Hieronymus Bosch:

I first brought the idea up to the gentlemen at LE in September. We agreed to the project, and then I promptly forgot about it before Christmas. Around April I got back in touch and found it was underway, making good progress despite some difficulties with materials and equipment. Three months later and the sword was finished and at my door along with some other goodies.

Landsknecht Emporium have really outdone themselves this time. The general dimensions match the original very closely. It's just 2.5g grams heavier than the average recorded weights of the original at 984g, and perhaps a centimeter or two shorter in the blade (102cm vs ~105cm, 18cm grip on both). Width and thickness down the length of the blade are almost spot on.

The blade is light, but still perfectly stiff, and arrived paper slicing sharp. The sword is a true hand-and-a-half; there is just enough room for 3/4 of a second hand, and the pommel shape facilitates this grip. However, it is absolutely comfortable enough to use in one hand with no issues at all. The sword feels very light in the hand, but has a forward presence when swung. It wants to cut when moving, but is not heavy in the blade. The point of balance is about 13.5cm from the guard vs ~15cm on the original.

Fit and finish is good and completely appropriate. Utilitarian and functional, just like the original. The gentlemen at LE were great to deal with as usual; communication is easy, they are very accommodating, and went out of their way to keep me informed and up to date on the progress of the project. Can't wait to cut with this one.

Here are the Zornhau datasheets for those interested:

https://www.zornhau.de/download/2910/

https://www.zornhau.de/source/schwertexkursion/DatenblattZEF10.pdf

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe this is the only example of a no-nagel messer I've seen. Very nice piece - it's always great to see the more unique examples reproduced. Congratulations!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
I believe this is the only example of a no-nagel messer I've seen. Very nice piece - it's always great to see the more unique examples reproduced. Congratulations!

Thanks, over the past few years my collection has been focussed on messers, to the point that I've sold on most of my other styles.

There are so many great examples that I want recreated, especially this beautiful saber:

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:

I agree with all of that. Thanks Ian for sharing.

Specifically re no nagel, this is also the nicest looking messer I've ever seen.
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
It's just 30 grams heavier than the original at 984g

Or, looking at it from the other way, 2.5 grams heavier than the average based on the two published weights (1008g in one, and 955g in the other). Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out Big Grin

Also re: Nagel-less Messer and such, let me see if I can upload something Sumersperger-themed real fast...

Attachment: 251.41 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 131.79 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 102.82 KB
[ Download ]
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Bodorics wrote:
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
It's just 30 grams heavier than the original at 984g

Or, looking at it from the other way, 2.5 grams heavier than the average based on the two published weights (1008g in one, and 955g in the other). Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing that out Big Grin

Also re: Nagel-less Messer and such, let me see if I can upload something Sumersperger-themed real fast...

Very good point! I somehow missed that. It really is a great sword. My Moc messer might be my fanciest, but this is definitely my favorite handling along with the landsknecht sabel, and matches the original much more closely in looks/stats.

And now I want an inscribed pommel...

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an update:

I finally had an opportunity for a good cutting session with this sword and some of my other LE pieces. Not surprisingly it performed fantastically. Very easy and forgiving edge alignment, blade tracks well and sails through light targets (jugs, two liters, noodles). Despite the narrow and rounded grip (which was the biggest concern among the users), there wasn't much desire to twist in the hand, especially when using the off hand on the pommel to further guide the blade.

Completely satisfied in all regards now. Just wish I had a scabbard for it!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom langes messer reproduction by Landsknecht EmporiumProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic