Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL - Kingdom of Heaven Replica Garb Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, thanks for the heads up on the clothing websites. I will look into these as well as some books on amazon. Thanks.

Ben

"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Nathan,

not to hijack this thread too long, but something I've wondered for quite some time. is this elizabethan court costume (link follows) done based on the painting of Sir Walter Religh and his son by Lynn McMasters yours?

http://pweb.jps.net/~mcmasters/elizman.html

yours or not, it is an outfit i have admired for quite some time

Yep. That's mine. I've got a lot of clothing, ranging class, origin, and time period. Lynn's one of the best costumers out there. Both in knowledge and technique. It's difficult to find that combination.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:
Nathan, thanks for the heads up on the clothing websites. I will look into these as well as some books on amazon. Thanks.

The topic of historical clothing is awesome, in my opinion. It's absolutely fascinating to study fashion and function of clothing through the ages.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody have any idea who actually manufactures the KoH Replica Garb?

I contacted several webshops but those were unable or unwilling to tell me, nor would they sell me a 'stripped'(ha ha) version of the Hospitaller Tunic. Mad
Bob Uhl

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
...in fact, I recently picked up 5 bags of Flax Tow...

Please tell me that this was intentional:-)

For those not in the know, 'five pounds of flax' is a Discordian thing. I'm not a Discordian, but if I didn't believe what I do then I would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob Uhl

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I'd probably order it anyway if I got real drunk. (Which is one of the reasons I don't drink.)

So speaketh a wise man. I think that if there's one lesson for us in this hobby, it's Don't Browse the Web Drunk. In the space of a few minutes, you can alienate everyone you know and end up with a bunch of sub-par ahistorical kit which'll be highly difficult to shift. Not that I let this stop me *grin*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the new MRL catalog cover, Orlando is wearing a full-sleeve hauberk under his surcoat (tunic?). Does anyone know a good source for such an item? Most of the hauberks I see for sale only seem to have 2/3 length sleeves. Mad Thanks. Happy
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
On the new MRL catalog cover, Orlando is wearing a full-sleeve hauberk under his surcoat (tunic?). Does anyone know a good source for such an item? Most of the hauberks I see for sale only seem to have 2/3 length sleeves. Mad Thanks. Happy

Extremely common in the 12th -13th centuries. Usually they had attached mittens as well. The 3/4 sleeve look is a much older design more common to the Viking period than the high middle ages.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:

Extremely common in the 12th -13th centuries. Usually they had attached mittens as well. The 3/4 sleeve look is a much older design more common to the Viking period than the high middle ages.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: when I asked for a source, I meant someplace where I can purchase a full-sleeve hauberk, not an historical source confirming their existence. I apologize for the confusion. Sad I have no doubt about the authenticity of full-sleeve mail; It is shown in many Medieval and Ren paintings. Happy

BTW: When you say "attached mittens," do you mean mail mittens, or some other material? Sorry, I'm still an armour "newbie." Laughing Out Loud

Thanks. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G.;

Check out Valentine Armouries. ( It's amoung the links at the top of this forum home page. )

Mine has full length sleeves, galvanysed and riveted maille. Oh, I think they have maille mittens that would be very early " Crusades ".

They have a chart were you can choose sleeve lenght, extra wide and extra long etc .....

They have butted maille at a lower price. ( Canadian co., prices in American dollars. ) ( I got good and fasts service from them ! )

Good stuff if you are not a fanatic for " absolute 100% " historical accuracy.

Mine did pop one link under the armpit when I first tried it on and pulled HARD on the sleeve: Must have been a defective link as NO other links have popped since then.

Oh, and get a good Gambison as the riveted maille has a rougher texture than a butted maille shirt: My butted maille I can wear comfortably over a light cotton teeshirt, in comparison the Riveted maille can feel like 40,000 small rat teeth nibbling on your carcass Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, and get a good Gambison as the riveted maille has a rougher texture than a butted maille shirt: My butted maille I can wear comfortably over a light cotton teeshirt, in comparison the Riveted maille can feel like 40,000 small rat teeth nibbling on your carcass Eek! Laughing Out Loud
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Merci, Jean. I'll give Valentine a try. I had to laugh, as I have pet rats, and I know exactly what it feels like to have them nibbling on my carcass. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud They actually never bite hard, but they definitely nibble, and it sounds like an appropriate description of the feeling of mail rivets against the skin. Laughing Out Loud Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL - Kingdom of Heaven Replica Garb
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: