Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dresden Cutting from Horseback Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Dresden Cutting from Horseback         Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while, but I finally got around to doing some decent cutting with my A&A Dresden from Horseback.

To begin with, it's a big sword, and well suited to horseback use against an armoured opponent: even if you don't cut or pierce, you definitely give a good whallop when you contact!

Our targets were "Turk's Heads", i.e. Cabbages on grape-stakes. Since the ground had hardened to the point where it wasn't easy to poke the stakes into the ground, we weaved them into the arena fence, and then placed the "heads" into the ends of the stakes. This put them at a good level: just about head/shoulder level to me while on horseback!

There were five of us running at the heads with various swords (including my wife, who was using my Erickson/Trim Lowland Baskethilt). The slicing action was fairly simple, and most of us hit at least a few of the heads. The Dresden, needless to say, chopped them nicely in half (exept the first one, which I hit low, about neck level. It simply cut the stake off! Heads rolled...) Hard to say which cut better, the Dresden or the Lowland, but both were very efficient.

Then we tried the point. Two of my fellows (one with a fairly inexpensive, narrow bladed rapier, the other with what looked like a MRL Towton, but I'm not sure, I didn't inspect it) handily pierced their "man", and came off with the "head" on their sword. Wife managed to miss both of her tries, while I simply left a HUGE gouge in the side of the cabbage. I hit squarely, but the width and sharpness of the blade seems to have simply allowed the blade to slide through, leaving the "head" to stay on the stake, but with a cleft going 3/4 of the way through it. Interesting! I'll have to try that one again sometime...

Anyway, there it is. Had a great time at the event (the swordsmanship was a very minor part of the whole weekend: we also did firearms desensitizing for the horses, ran at the quintain with lances, got the horses used to infantry Pikes and Musket-fire, and general drill with the horses too), and if there is interest I'll post some pics. I haven't gotten the pics yet from our Cabbage-Fest yet though: I'll post those as soon as they arrive. Here's a couple of me wearing the Dresden though... (BTW, the white fabric is from my sash, not my shirt, LOL!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Attachment: 33.73 KB
RittmasterFrye&Woody.jpg

Attachment: 39.9 KB
RittmasterFrye&Woody3.jpg

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking quite galant there Gordon. Sounds like you had a blast and yes, more pics as you get them.

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill! For a BUNCH of them, check this site out:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=17j15grb....;y=-qmc057

It might be a bit overwhelming, but pick and choose... not much sword stuff, but lots of pikes and muskets.

And some horses, too... Here's a shot of my Harquebusier "amusing" the Foote, and a pikeman's eye view of Horse:

Cheers,

Gordon

Attachment: 35.44 KB
Horsebattleline2.jpg

Attachment: 48.73 KB
lowcountriesdel.jpg

William Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great Gordon, thanks. I always welcome any stuff on the 17th c. Nothing here in my neck of the woods, so I have to take what I can get!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Great Gordon, thanks. I always welcome any stuff on the 17th c. Nothing here in my neck of the woods, so I have to take what I can get!

Bill

Happy to oblige as best I can! I hope that we can do this again next year, so start saving for a plane ticket, LOL!

Here's another to wet your whistle. Note the cool combination wheellock/matchlock at the front! As I recall, they were shooting at me at the time, too...

Cheers,

Gordon

Attachment: 36.57 KB
SA&Patience.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

Thank you for sharing.

The pictures are fun to look at and the tales are nice to read.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Kevin S. McCarley

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and the descriptions Gordon!

Looks like it was a great event, hope to see more in the future if you're willing.

I'm also a fan of 16th & 17th century so all the weapons, gear, clothing, tactics, etc. is great to see and hear about for me!

Thx,

Kevin
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

on that horse.....your one sexy looking man......uh, well....... anyway you guys look great in the pictures. Looks like fun. I haven't been a fan of the big 17th, but all the pictures sure get me interested.

Could you next time get some shots of more horse action, because well, that is next inline to historical accuracy!

edit: I recently surmised horses are vastly more important.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Threads like this help put horses high on my "must have" list of things. Of course, that requires property and money, which requires a job, which requires a degree.

Seriously though, having read a lot of medieval source documents (and a few from later) I've found that knowing horses is very important to understanding these people. It is every bit as important as understanding the farming, religion, and weaponry.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words! Indeed, for most of the period which we discuss here on this forum, the Horse was an indispensible partner to Warfare. Of course because they were enormously expensive in the day (and remain rather expensive as well!) they were seldom used in huge numbers, but nevertheless were a necessary part of every army.

It was enormously fun to be able to train the horses AND Infantrymen at the same time about these things... it's funny how for the most part in a 16th/17th Century reenactment scenario most of the pikemen feel like a fifth wheel. The musketeers get to go shoot up a storm, etc. but the pikemen get to stand there. By having just a few horses present (and doing a couple of speed demonstrations, LOL!) the pikemen got a serious sense of reality, while the musketeers got one of those "Gee, I'm pretty exposed out here, aren't I?" moments. It's great when you see the lights go on with folks, and they begin to really understand the why's and wherefores of the past.

Here's a few more shots for you to enjoy of the training of horses and infantrymen at the same time...

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 32.89 KB
Pike&Horse2.jpg

Attachment: 28.75 KB
Pike&Horse3.jpg

Attachment: 25.81 KB
Training_Horse&Foote.jpg

Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What does feel like looking down all those pikes from horseback? I can't imagine seeing a complete pike square.......
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
What does feel like looking down all those pikes from horseback? I can't imagine seeing a complete pike square.......

Shot from between the ears of my wooly-mastadon horse, Taxi... We're sneaking up behind them, of course.

Big Grin

Gordon

Attachment: 26.26 KB
Cav-eye View.jpg

Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any other mastadons or are you and Taxi taking on the lot of them yourselves? Cool

thanks for the pic
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
Any other mastadons or are you and Taxi taking on the lot of them yourselves? Cool

thanks for the pic

Lucky for me there were six of us... and actually my wife took that photo.

Cheers,

Gordon

William Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool pics Gordon! Man, really wish I had something like this type of time period & fun close to me.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill;

Hey, like I told fellow poster here Mike Frain, start saving for your plane ticket! Since everyone involved wants to do it again next year, we'll find a tent and some blankets for you, and if you fly into Sacramento Airport, I'll even pick you up! Here's more fun stuff... Pike Square in Training!

Cheers,

Gordon

Attachment: 42.99 KB
Pikesquare.jpg

Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Bill;

Hey, like I told fellow poster here Mike Frain, start saving for your plane ticket! Since everyone involved wants to do it again next year, we'll find a tent and some blankets for you, and if you fly into Sacramento Airport, I'll even pick you up! Here's more fun stuff... Pike Square in Training!

Cheers,

Gordon

So this is an annual party you guys throw? Man If I had the funds and a horse that would deal with the trip I'd sure as hell show up.

oh, and nice pike square by the way. Cool
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
[So this is an annual party you guys throw? Man If I had the funds and a horse that would deal with the trip I'd sure as hell show up.

oh, and nice pike square by the way. Cool

Ryan;

Thanks! And actually this was our first one. But we had such a successful time with it, that we plan on doing it again next year, and if that goes well, keeping it going until we get tired of it. So please, do plan on attending next Spring.

Heck, I've trailered horses from here to East of you, so it can be done... but it takes a while, and it ain't cheap, LOL! But you would be more than welcome if you did manage to drag the pony out here! What is sad is that I had 20 Horse signed up for this and still planning on attending only a few months ago, but this that and the other thing caused a lot of falling by the way-side. But now that they're feeling silly for not being there, I ought to have a better attendence of Horse next year. THAT will be grand!

Cheers!

Gordon

David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Thank you for the kind words! Indeed, for most of the period which we discuss here on this forum, the Horse was an indispensible partner to Warfare. Of course because they were enormously expensive in the day (and remain rather expensive as well!) they were seldom used in huge numbers, but nevertheless were a necessary part of every army.

It was enormously fun to be able to train the horses AND Infantrymen at the same time about these things... it's funny how for the most part in a 16th/17th Century reenactment scenario most of the pikemen feel like a fifth wheel. The musketeers get to go shoot up a storm, etc. but the pikemen get to stand there. By having just a few horses present (and doing a couple of speed demonstrations, LOL!) the pikemen got a serious sense of reality, while the musketeers got one of those "Gee, I'm pretty exposed out here, aren't I?" moments. It's great when you see the lights go on with folks, and they begin to really understand the why's and wherefores of the past.

Gordon

I'd beg to differ on the numers point there Gordon. Just from my period of deep interest, the English Civil War, I'd say that huge numbers of horse were used on the battlefield. Marston Moor in 1644 outside York saw slightly more than 40,000 troops fighting of whom some 18,000 were Horse. But then again these are mostly Cavalry horses, not war horses.

Cost wise. For the 1640's Troop commanders were paying from a £1 to £5 at most. It's almost impossible to value 17th Century prices but one crude method is the pint of beer mode. A penny in the mid 17th Century would buy 4 pints of beer. therefore £1 (480 pence) would buy 480 pints. Beer costs about £1 without taxes in the UK now....( no taxes on beer in 1640!) so From roughly £480 to £2,400. But that's very crude....

Civil War Musketeers were right little thugs......A matchlock musket has a wicked clubbing end attached to it....And not all musketeers run........ James , Duke of York, later Jame II, was very nearly killed by New Model musketeers at the Battle of the Dunes who fell onto His Horse and laid into the troopers with clubbed musket.
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Then we tried the point. Two of my fellows (one with a fairly inexpensive, narrow bladed rapier, the other with what looked like a MRL Towton, but I'm not sure, I didn't inspect it) handily pierced their "man", and came off with the "head" on their sword. Wife managed to miss both of her tries, while I simply left a HUGE gouge in the side of the cabbage. I hit squarely, but the width and sharpness of the blade seems to have simply allowed the blade to slide through, leaving the "head" to stay on the stake, but with a cleft going 3/4 of the way through it. Interesting! I'll have to try that one again sometime...

Sounds like the Dresden did the best job with the point (obviously, the circumstances don't allow me to gauge the Lowland really well). I would much rather have my sword take a big chunk out of some fellow and then get clear, rather than embedding itself in some inconvenient skull. It looks cool to display the cabbage on you sword after a thrust, I don't think it would be the most effective thing on the battlefield. Sounds to me like you have a winner.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dresden Cutting from Horseback
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: