Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > George R.R. Martin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know when the first three books will be rereleased in hardcover with the new cover? I want to hold off buying them in hardcover, since AFFC will have a different style cover. Any help would be great.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
Don't worry Russ, according to George the next book is about half written so there shouldn't be as much of a delay. The problem that arose with this one is that George had to completely restructure his narrative from what he had planned to do because it wasn't working. I trust the guy if for the simple fact that he's said he doesn't want to be Jordan.

I thought the presentation of a complete story switching between different viewpoints in linear time progression was pretty innovative, myself. In fact, trying to read other fantasy novels has become a bit of a chore, as I continually expect the words "Bran" or "Daenarys" or "John" to appear at the top of the chapter page. Telling a story from a singular third-person narrative has really lost its impact with me.

I'm not saying that Martin is a total innovator or anything like that, but he was the first author to introduce me to this narration style, and I believe he has made it work astonishingly-well in his first 3 books...

Just my $0.02

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Gabriel Stevens wrote:
Don't worry Russ, according to George the next book is about half written so there shouldn't be as much of a delay. The problem that arose with this one is that George had to completely restructure his narrative from what he had planned to do because it wasn't working. I trust the guy if for the simple fact that he's said he doesn't want to be Jordan.

I thought the presentation of a complete story switching between different viewpoints in linear time progression was pretty innovative, myself. In fact, trying to read other fantasy novels has become a bit of a chore, as I continually expect the words "Bran" or "Daenarys" or "John" to appear at the top of the chapter page. Telling a story from a singular third-person narrative has really lost its impact with me.

I'm not saying that Martin is a total innovator or anything like that, but he was the first author to introduce me to this narration style, and I believe he has made it work astonishingly-well in his first 3 books...

Just my $0.02

Clancy and Bond do that as well and as you say it's a VERY effective style. Keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Advanced Reader         Reply with quote

I just received my Advanced Reader copy of Feast for Crows and while I'm enjoying it (I'm only a couple chapters into it), I think some people are going to be initially a little disappointed (I know I was). . . at least until they start reading it. Most of the female characters get their time in the book and If you're a Cersei fan, then this book is for you. However just finguring through the chapters there are no almost no Stark men (Snow shows up briefly), no Tyrion, Stannis, Dany or Davos. Jaime however gets some time which makes me happy because he's become one of the more interesting characters. Also the book is only 684 pages.

Remember Nov 8th release date.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Very trepidatious about this whole thing. I REALLY don't want it to turn into another Jordanesque fiasco...
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: longclaw.............................         Reply with quote

http://www.barrettcustomknives.com/contemp_1

Here it is completed for those of you that are interested.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Reader         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
If you're a Cersei fan, then this book is for you.

Are there any Cersei fans? I'd only enjoy reading about her if she was suffering some kind of torment.

Unfortunately my favorite characters include Jon Snow and Tyrion, so this installment will be frustrating. I'm more interested in what's happening north of the wall, than goings on around Cersei.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Reader         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

Are there any Cersei fans? I'd only enjoy reading about her if she was suffering some kind of torment.

Unfortunately my favorite characters include Jon Snow and Tyrion, so this installment will be frustrating. I'm more interested in what's happening north of the wall, than goings on around Cersei.

Good point. I'd be a big fan of her falling from a really high place without a net...

Ryan C.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've already read the UK version of the book. It's very, very good, but is going to upset fans expecting to see Jon, Dany, and Tyrion. I already knew they wouldn't be involved 6 months ago, so I was prepared. The book is traditional Martin with excellent characterization.

If you didn't think Cersei was a stark-raving-mad-superb!tch before FEAST, this book will certainly change your opinion. She. Is. IN-sane.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No spoilers pleeezzzzzzzz
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan C. wrote:
I've already read the UK version of the book. It's very, very good, but is going to upset fans expecting to see Jon, Dany, and Tyrion. I already knew they wouldn't be involved 6 months ago, so I was prepared. The book is traditional Martin with excellent characterization.

If you didn't think Cersei was a stark-raving-mad-superb!tch before FEAST, this book will certainly change your opinion. She. Is. IN-sane.

One would expect the sudden and unlamented demise of that benighted eldest son of hers would probably have a lot to do with that... I'm still betting it was his bride's family... Happy ... the grandmother to be precise.

Ryan C.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not telling Happy

But I will say, if you ARE a fan, read CARE-FUL-LY. There are a LOT of hidden gems to be found that may not be seen until the 2nd, 3rd, 4th read (if you are so inclined). My personal favorite character actually gets a lot of attention in this book and I didn't realize it was going on until near the end.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
One would expect the sudden and unlamented demise of that benighted eldest son of hers would probably have a lot to do with that... I'm still betting it was his bride's family... Happy ... the grandmother to be precise.

You must not have read pg. 935 of Storm of Swords closely enough. Baelish confirms that.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about the Hound? Does he get any face-time?

How about Bronn? Any news about him?

(You can tell I like the fighters)
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Caleb Hallgren wrote:
What about the Hound? Does he get any face-time?

Probably. He's in the riverlands. Brienne is a viewpoint character and is probably going to be in the riverlands looking for Sansa. The Hound also has something of a reason to look for Sansa, and might very well do that after he gets himself patched up. Odds are they'll run into each other and join forces.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

You must not have read pg. 935 of Storm of Swords closely enough. Baelish confirms that.

Or may have read it and forgot it... to be honest I need to reread them, I remember a lot of the general plot elements but some of the finer details are beginning to get hazy. That's the problem with waiting a couple of years between books you tend to forget some of the subtleties. I think I read the first books of the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series 4 or 5 times for examples just so I would be up to date before I started the newest book in the series.

Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or you may have read it, but suspect that particular character as being prone to lies and half-truths designed to implicate factions other than his own.
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*SLIGHT SPOILERS*

We do get a fun little tidbit about Bronn. Although "offscreen," he still manages to create Bronn-like havoc.

We also get word from The Hound... in a few ways. This is one of those things you have to read VERY CAREFULLY. I shall say no more. Wink
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael R. Black wrote:
Or you may have read it, but suspect that particular character as being prone to lies and half-truths designed to implicate factions other than his own.

Happy Thanks Michael, you make it look like I was being clever.... Happy

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Reader         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

Jon Snow is the man! I also enjoy reading about Tyrion and Daenerys, too.

Yeah, I was seriously hoping Cersei were to follow her messed-up spawn to the grave...

In the first book, I absolutely despised Jaime Lannister (I identified with Eddard Stark almost from page 1), but after the next two books, I'm pretty neutral on him...

I'd also like to see Walder Frey bite the dust, too...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > George R.R. Martin
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: