Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2019? -and what did you get in 2018? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: What's On Your List For 2019? -and what did you get in 2018?         Reply with quote

What weapon or piece of armor or clothing is on you list for 2019? Or anything else that might be associated with historical arms and armor? And what items did you get for yourself in 2018?

As for me - I plan to get Gus Trim's new version of AT2103, his old bastard leaf sword. Perhaps something by Maciej Kopciuch or Damian Sulowski. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

I didn't buy any big ticket items this year - just a few relatively inexpensive things. A Del Tin DT7167 16th century sabre, gussied up by Jimbo Curry, a Windlass Coustille, and a rondel dagger from Tod Cutler

What about you?

Attachment: 98.99 KB
DT7167t.jpg
DT7167

Attachment: 100.02 KB
Coustille5.jpg
Windlass Coustille

Attachment: 98.52 KB
Rondel Tod9.jpg
Tod Cutler Rondel Dagger
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Albion Agincourt and matching scabbard from Tod coming in in about 2 months! The wait has been horrible, haha

For this year, I plan on getting some more arrows for my English Warbow and making a few more bows.
I doubt I'll be getting any swords, however I'm leaning commission a Dane Ax from James Austin.
Finally, if all works out, I want to finally take the plunge and put down my first down payment for a plate harness from Piotr Feret. I've been in contact with him for a while, and I'll be really excited to finally working on getting my own kit.

So ya, my interests over the next year are pretty scattered around!

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a commission in the works for a 12th century sword with Eric McHugh. Other than that, nothing planned. I may have another sword or two made next year...we'll see.
William Knight

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to be getting a brigandine, but other than that now begins the process of saving for a full armour. It's going to be a while. Oh, and I'm eagerly awaiting my baltimore Cutlass from Nielo swords! Another reenactment piece for a different period (War of 1812 American navy, as opposed to Wars of the Roses English)

But I also got a helmet from Roman Tereschenko of the too-little-reproduced 'onion dome' style. Let me see if I can find a good photo...

Also I got a glaive from White Well Arms - a gorgeous piece based on a few surviving English originals. You can tell how excited I am about it.

But the biggest arrival was my sword from Maciej AKA Swordmaker. I posted a review here: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=37157 but I suppose it's my face that really speaks for it.

Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to replace the akinakes I've been using for Persian reenactment with one that has a more historical blade shape and size, and an iron hilt. That's assuming I can find a blacksmith who's willing to make one, or least make the hilt for an off-the-shelf blade. Once that's done, I need a new scabbard, which is a whole other project that's been in development for some time.

Also I'm planning to assemble a set of items around my Highland targe: a new, more accurate blade for the whinger (which will require a new sheath), a by-knife and fork, and I want to sell off my Hanwei side-sword and replace it with something that matches the Scottish stuff.
Baard H

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This year I got Pavel Moc to make a sword based on an Oakeshott type X from Norway. Due to my own Christmas vacation the sword will get to me early next year and I'll probably post it here in all its glory then.

I'm not sure if I'll buy anything new next year, but if I do it's probably going to be maille (a so-called "soft package" Wink ).

Attachment: 29.65 KB
unnamed.jpg

At kveldi skal dag leyfa,
konu, er brennd er,
mæki, er reyndr er,
mey, er gefin er,
ís, er yfir kemr,
öl, er drukkit er.
-Hávamál, vísa 81
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't get anything in 2018 and will be selling a lot in 2019.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Well Nathan, if you feel like selling that Phoenix Metal Creations Pappenheimer, I’m your man haha.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This year I was stretching a bit before and after the crusader era that has been my focus for the past 10 years. I acquired a second-hand Michael Pikula Anglosaxon sword, and a customized Arms & Armor French Medieval Sword (see below).

I currently have commissions in place with Maciej Kopciuch for a Polish Type Y Viking era sword, with Eric McHugh for a steel/iron version of his St. Annen sword, and Rob Miller for a large Scottish Basket Hilt (that one might take until 2020).

The original sword inspirations are shown below.

Attachment: 115.11 KB
Hemi pommel 2.jpg

Attachment: 122.58 KB
ssIMG_20181117_1241104.jpg

Attachment: 62.37 KB
Type Y Polish.jpg

Attachment: 33.1 KB
full length.jpg

Attachment: 21.99 KB
MVC-001S_edcd6d77-cfbe-494c-88b4-28de315f1233_large.JPG

J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Knight wrote:
But the biggest arrival was my sword from Maciej AKA Swordmaker. I posted a review here: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=37157 but I suppose it's my face that really speaks for it.

I love that picture. Reminds me of how I felt when I got my first sword. Still chasing that feeling. Happy
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought I had quit but couldn't resist a few pieces. Haudegen, cartoonish huge ceremonial/decorative dha, US militia sword. Hrisoulas dagger and another old Gilbreath folder. A couple of books.

I note Vince Evans has a handful of knives listed and the koa handled small hunter just about perfect but close to what I was about to commission from someone else but with a less delicate grind.

Books of course for 2019.

Cheers
GC
Preben B

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William, that picture perfectly displays how it feels to get a new sword, love it..And the sword is a beauty, of course!

My collection grew quite a lot this year, at the beginning of the year my Albion Yeoman and Maximilian finally arrived after a one year wait, both with scabbards from Tod, it was like Christmas but even better!

Then later through the year I managed to add a second hand Albion Mercenary and a second hand Maciej (Swordmaker) Brescia, both things that were high on my list of wants, then a few months ago I splurged on a Gaddhjalt that Maciej had in stock and had him make a scabbard for it as well.

As for 2019..It will be a scabbard year for me, My Mercenary and Crecy both need scabbards, probably from Tod..And then the Brescia from Maciej needs to go back to him when I have money and he has time for a touchup, sharpening and a scabbard.

Hope i can squeeze a new blade in there somewhere but it very much depends on how the year goes.

And here are a few pictures of what came in this year, minus the Brescia..No pictures before it gets it's scabbard!
Merry swordsmas to everyone, and may there be many long packages in our futures.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Buckley wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Well Nathan, if you feel like selling that Phoenix Metal Creations Pappenheimer, I’m your man haha.

Message me in February and you'll likely get it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Martin Buckley wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Message me in February and you'll likely get it.

Obligatory iPhone alert set for February, wow!
Will Phillips

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll post some photos of my aquisitions from 2018 later, but my big kit goal for the upcoming year is an officer's cabbaset and gorget in late sixteenth century style.

Probably will be looking to take my chances with a Ukranian, Polish, or other eastern European armorer, as I've not had much better luck with folks States-side.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got a Castle Keep second hand of another member here:

https://www.facebook.com/castlekeepskye/posts/for-sale-blackwraith-swordhollow-ground-hand-forged-33-blade-in-en-45-spring-ste/1232654853508299/

Its named Blackwraith and its real nice! Also bought some Windlass bits to hang on the wall. Shield. Buckler. Arma Bohemia rondel dagger. Falchion (which is decent) but the Caslte Keep is the single exciting thing I have.

Have a Lockwood coming. Perhaps in January. Considering a budget breastplate, bardiche, and a helmet.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Charles Gawain

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: O Katana         Reply with quote

I want a backup sword if my kriegsmesser ever goes out of commission during a real battle and need a sword that's somewhat familiar and comfortable. I do like katanas because I practice Japanese Swordsmanship, but they are too short for me, normally 27" to 29" long blades--however, I would like to acquire a Daimyo Tamahagane O-Katana Hi 32" Silver Wheel
to be a companion next to my War-Knife.

Attachment: 11.89 KB
okatana.jpg
O Katana
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If everything aligns well and depending on his availability I will be getting a single handed, very wide bladed, Castillion inspired, type XVIII from Peter Johnsson. I have seen preliminary design work on this and some sources he has referred to as inspiration and I am very excited. It's going to be a sword of what I consider outstanding design and proportions. I am intentionally having no input as he is the expert, not me. It has to be based on what he knows, not what I expect.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There were some nice pieces obtained this year by those who have posted. I also am really enjoying some of the pieces that are planned for 2019!

2018 was a slow year for me having received only 3 new pieces. These include a Gallowglass axe from Josh Davis and two scabbards from Brian at DBK for my Castle Keep sword and my Jody Samson bladed dagger.

Here are links to Brian's site for the two scabbards:
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/custscabbs/SKCastleKeepSword.html
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/custscabbs/SKJodySamson.html

For 2019 I am going to be receiving the two swords from Iron Wolf Forge by Ken Nelson that I mentioned last year. I am also hoping to get a XIIa.4 sword from the new Angus Trim/Longship Armoury partnership that just started. Other than that I have some ideas of what I would like to get, it is just a matter of how things work out with getting on some smith's lists.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: O Katana         Reply with quote

Charles Gawain wrote:
I want a backup sword if my kriegsmesser ever goes out of commission during a real battle and need a sword that's somewhat familiar and comfortable. I do like katanas because I practice Japanese Swordsmanship, but they are too short for me, normally 27" to 29" long blades--however, I would like to acquire a Daimyo Tamahagane O-Katana Hi 32" Silver Wheel
to be a companion next to my War-Knife.

Charles,

Why not go with a langes messer? It seems strange to have a Japanese katana as a companion to a German kriegsmesser. Something like Albion's Soldat would be a fine back-up sword, and benefits from having greater stylistic homogeneity. I know that langes messers are probably shorter than you want, but since you were thinking of a backup sword, it makes sense that it would be shorter than your primary weapon.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2019? -and what did you get in 2018?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: