Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New early XIVth century sword by Maciej KopciuchProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: New early XIVth century sword by Maciej Kopciuch         Reply with quote

Yesterday was my birthday and I received a nice surprise, a text containing the magic words "Your sword is ready." You all know what those words can do to a supposedly grown man. I also retired on the 1st of December and this is my present to myself for making it out alive.

http://artofswordmaking.com/gallery/musee-de-...rd-ca-1300

It should be on it's way from Poland shortly, more when it arrives.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on retirement, thank you for your service, and happy birthday Patrick!

I saw when Maciej posted this on FB and just love the whole look of the sword and dimensions. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Maciej K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New early XIVth century sword by Maciej Kopciuch         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Yesterday was my birthday and I received a nice surprise, a text containing the magic words "Your sword is ready." You all know what those words can do to a supposedly grown man. I also retired on the 1st of December and this is my present to myself for making it out alive.

Thank you Patrick for posting this information here Happy I will; send the package Monday hopefully and let you know Happy
and here is the sword, based on original from Musee de l`Armee in Paris:

and original one in museum:

Medieval Swords - www.artofswordmaking.com
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Congratulations on retirement, thank you for your service, and happy birthday Patrick!

I saw when Maciej posted this on FB and just love the whole look of the sword and dimensions. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Thanks Scott. I have a part time job lined up with the feds, but that won't start for another month or two, so I'll have a little vacation. I'm excited about this one as I think it turned out beautifully.

Preben B

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning piece, and what a coincidence for it to finish on your birthday, congrats on your retirement!
William Knight

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks awesome. Based on my own sword from Maciej, everything else I've seen and these photos you're in for a treat!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New early XIVth century sword by Maciej Kopciuch         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

The sword looks great and impressive, also welcome to the retired clan ...... Wink Razz Big Grin Cool

Well, semi-retired so I assume tasks and responsibilities you actually want to do with the Feds: Best wishes and best of luck with the part time job and the " Part Time retirement " ..... Big Grin

Is the pommel hollow or solid ? I'm assuming hollow otherwise the pommel might be too heavy ?

The scabbard leather work also looks first class.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Maciej K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: New early XIVth century sword by Maciej Kopciuch         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Is the pommel hollow or solid ? I'm assuming hollow otherwise the pommel might be too heavy ?

The scabbard leather work also looks first class.

Thank you Jean for your opinion. you may read description on my website to find more about that pommel:
On close-up photos of that sword from museum that pommel seems to be solid (small and tight holes, no delaminations or cracks on surface), however we know many examples of hollow pommels made with copper alloy, so we can claim it was partially hollow inside to reduce mass. Notice it is quite small pommel, even if it looks massive, because of the shape. So, the only tip would be the final, total weight of the sword, which is actually heavier than original. It feels well in hand, but one of my previous versions of that blade was too thin and then it was too flexible. So, I decided to make it finally more stiff in central line, as it should be for such short sword. I am satisfied with final result Happy

Medieval Swords - www.artofswordmaking.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maciej, thanks for the reply, I think my assuming that the pommel might be hollow is that in the pic of the original sword the tang is naked and it may in contrast make the pommel look bigger in the photograph than it actually is ?

Also I was influenced in asking the question by a video on hollow pommels on a Scolagladiatoria video discussing hollow pommels by Matt Easton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OpqOT0WY4

It's also difficult at times judging size and mass from a photograph ?

Weight is also reduced by the scalloping of the surface that probably takes away as much mass as would a small amount of hollowing of the pommel ?

But, the best way to judge the sword you made is in the handling and the solid pommel is not overweight on the blade you made: In other words I'm very much assuming that you made a very good handling sword based on the best measurements of the original you had access to.

I do like the very robust looking tang of the original sword.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick on your retirement, your birthday, and most importantly another terrific sword. I was eying the first version of that one as well.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Congratulations Patrick on your retirement, your birthday, and most importantly another terrific sword. I was eying the first version of that one as well.

Thanks J.D., so was I. I regretted having to pass on the first one. The pommel is what really caught my eye. I was looking for something to mark the occasion of my retirement, which is a rather big moment for me. I made a couple of attempts to solicite a commision from a couple of other makers with varying degrees of success. Let's just say, it reminded me why I no longer seek out commsions on a regular basis and leave it at that. Fortunately, I happened to spot this one before someone else snapped it up. I think the overall package of sword and scabbard is quite striking.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Thanks Scott. I have a part time job lined up with the feds, but that won't start for another month or two, so I'll have a little vacation. I'm excited about this one as I think it turned out beautifully.

You are welcome and good luck with the part time job Patrick. Hopefully it keeps you busy without being in the line of fire still.

I have admired this sword from the first time that Maciej made it. There is just something about it that speaks to me, I like the slimmer swords, there is just something about these wide ones that lights a fire in my eye and makes me want to try to split shields for some reason!

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you receive it!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
You are welcome and good luck with the part time job Patrick. Hopefully it keeps you busy without being in the line of fire still.

Thanks. I'll be working as a security officer in the federal court system. The starting pay is just below what I was making with the state when I retired and it's part time, to start. No nights, weekends, holidays, snow storms, tornados or general public silliness to deal with. It will be a good supplement to my retirement and will allow me more time to devote to other pursuits. I had intended to stay on the job a bit longer, but they came looking for me with a deal that was too good to pass up. The timing was perfect. I just turned 53 and for the last couple of years my body's been telling me it was time to be done, so it didn't take much arm twisting.

Quote:
I have admired this sword from the first time that Maciej made it. There is just something about it that speaks to me, I like the slimmer swords, there is just something about these wide ones that lights a fire in my eye and makes me want to try to split shields for some reason!

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you receive it!

I really perked up when I first saw version one and was disappointed I couldn't grab it. Fortunately, Maciej decided a second try was in order and the timing was perfect. I've always liked big, bold swords. But,over the last few years I've developed an interest in these wide bladed designs that feature a more acute point. I've also developed quite a fondness for bronze pommels, something that I find a bit surprising. The unique fluted design of this one really speaks to me. Given my experience with Mateusz Sulowski and what has the appearance of being a very positive outcome with Maciej, these Polish sword smiths are also speaking to me. Happy

When I was a boy reading about the adventures of King Arthur and his knights, this is what I envisioned Excalibur looking like.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword, Patrick! I love unique examples like this one. It'll be a nice addition to your (very nice) collection. Happy

Congrats on the retirement!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy belated birthday, and congratulations on your new opportunity. It sounds like you’ll now have more time to devote to important things like swords.

You MUST post your impressions of how your new piece feels and handles, and some in-hand photos for scale would not be amid. I too eyes both the first and second rounds of this sword-seeing it always makes me feel like I have an itch I can’t scratch without a wide blade and a beautiful bronze globe...

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Beautiful sword, Patrick! I love unique examples like this one. It'll be a nice addition to your (very nice) collection. Happy

Congrats on the retirement!

Thanks Chad. I remember when I hated the look of a bronze pommel. now it's one of my favorite things.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
Happy belated birthday, and congratulations on your new opportunity. It sounds like you’ll now have more time to devote to important things like swords.

You MUST post your impressions of how your new piece feels and handles, and some in-hand photos for scale would not be amid. I too eyes both the first and second rounds of this sword-seeing it always makes me feel like I have an itch I can’t scratch without a wide blade and a beautiful bronze globe...

Rest assured, impressions will be forth coming along with a photo.

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always admired your taste in swords Patrick and I'm always envious of new swords you get. This is another "wow" sword for me due to its proportions and components. They just come together perfectly. Congratulations on this and everything else you've noted in your posts.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
I've always admired your taste in swords Patrick and I'm always envious of new swords you get. This is another "wow" sword for me due to its proportions and components. They just come together perfectly. Congratulations on this and everything else you've noted in your posts.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this one seems to have dropped off into a black hole. Tracking shows the sword leaving Warsaw on the 27th and nothing thereafter. Somewhat of a delay was expected due to the holidays, but we're passed any reasonable expectation on that now. Whether this is due to incompetence, theft or the government shutdown effecting customs is unknown. At this point the best case scenario seems to be that it's sitting on a loading dock somewhere waiting for inspection. Worst case, it's gone.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New early XIVth century sword by Maciej KopciuchProduct Review
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: