Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sneak peek: a silver-inlaid hilt from EB Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Sneak peek: a silver-inlaid hilt from EB Erickson         Reply with quote

Many years ago I first laid my eyes on the 16th century hand-and-a-half sword shown below. I fell in love with the silver-inlaid hilt with its design motifs that borrow from nature. There's just something about the German aesthetic of design in that period that really calls to me.

I've only seen this one single photo of the original and I must admit, I have always found it difficult to render the two-dimension photo's shape into what I imagined it would look like in three-dimensions. The pommel, in particular, confused me. It's such a unique shape and the bottom part of it, the end, was just a super confusing thing for my mind's eye to fully understand. This, and the striking details of the silver and black hilt treatment, really made me want to get my hands on it!

I had not seen a quality reproduction of this sword and so commissioned ElJay Erickson to create one for me. It took ElJay several years to complete because of the difficulty of the hilt, particularly with the inlaying of all that silver. His many years of hands-on experience with antique arms really helped him nail this one. He had no problems translating the photo into real life!

I snapped a few quick photos just to show the world. It's just a hilt with a tang-plug in it so is attached with a small nut rather than a peen as would be found on the final, completed sword.

I hope to have a Type XVII blade with some shallow hollow-ground edges created sometime in the future, but that will have to wait for now. In the meantime, have a look at this unique hilt made of blackened steel with high-grade silver inlaid details:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Dayton

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing work. Can't wait to see it mounted on a blade. Thanks for sharing.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks fantastic. This is not the first time you have had a hilt made before the blade. It's a clever process because these are beautiful enough to display on their own while you wait for the blade or rebuild funds.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's great Nathan. I've always liked the hilt and ElJay really nailed it. Your collection gets better and better. Please post again when you have the blade and scabbard made. This is a real treat! Congrats on a helluva piece.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabulous and unique - that will one day be an amazing sword -

Really crisp detail and beautifully executed.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Masterful - always floored by EBE's work...whatever the style of hilts but especially those few would tackle for being too complex - like this one!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sneak peek: a silver-inlaid hilt from EB Erickson
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic