Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review of Wulflund Re-enactment Viking Sword (blunt)Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Cooper

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Review of Wulflund Re-enactment Viking Sword (blunt)         Reply with quote

This is a short review of a Viking style sword purchased from Wulflund ( www.wulflund.com )
Disclaimer: I am not employed by nor have I received any inducements from Wulflund to prepare this review. I write solely as a paying customer.

Introduction
I have recently joined a Viking Re-enactment Society (https://www.vikingsonline.org.uk) and purchased this sword as part of my kit. I chose Wulflund as I already have experience of their products. (http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=35613&highlight=wulflund )

The Sword
VIKING SWORD, Geibig Typology, Type V. Blunt for re-enactment. Gently tapered double-edged blade with a central fuller running from 1 inch from tip up and under the cross guard. Wulflund Item No VSW26 which now appears to be discontinued and replaced by VSW34. Described as High Carbon spring steel, hardness 50-52 HRC. Stitched leather grip with top and bottom risers. Top guard and cocked-hat pommel riveted, tang peened through top guard. Scabbard and belt/baldrick cost more than the sword and includes a metal slider, with belt/baldric including Viking style buckle and strap ends in brass.

My stats:
Weight, sword: 2lb 8oz (1.13kg)
Length overall: 33.5'' (85cm) Blade: 27.5'' (70cm).
POB: 5.5'' (14cm) from cross-guard.
Profile taper: 1.93'' (49.1 mm) at ricasso, 1.59'' (40.5mm) at mid blade, 1.14'' (29.1mm) 2 inches from tip.
Distal taper 0.17'' (4.5 mm) at ricasso and no discernable taper for the rest of the blade.
Edge 1.12'' (3 mm)
Grip 4'' (10 cm)

General Fit and Finish
Traditional construction. Slight rattle in the cocked hat pommel but the blade seems solidly peened through the top guard with absolutely no movement in the blad, grip or top and bottom guards. The grip is covered in smooth leather cross-stitched along one edge with risers top and bottom. Scabbard nicely made with leather chape and throat and with a metal belt slide. Scabbard actually cost slightly more than the sword.

Handling
Handles well but because of the lack of distal taper could perhaps be a little lighter. Balanced for solid hits rather than fancy swordplay. With having to maintain a safe blunt edge from guard to tip it is difficult to see how any appreciable distal taper could be incorporated into a sword of this geometry without making it far too wide and heavy in the forte. The blade has stood up to light sparring, metal on metal, very well.

Historical Accuracy
I would say very good, the riveted two-part construction of top guard and pommel are a definite plus in my book. The grip length does not seem excessive compared to some reproductions I have seen and seems reasonable for modern hands. The blade is obviously modern mono-steel rather than pattern welded or piled construction but is not anachronistic.

Conclusion
Very pleased with the sword. Well built, in an authentic style. The scabbard is all leather rather than leather over wood but well constructed with nice restrained detailing.. The metal slide is a nice feature and the overall appearance is very good and seems in period.

Attachment: 412.21 KB
small4.jpg

Attachment: 410.27 KB
small3.jpg

Attachment: 60.33 KB
small2.jpg

Attachment: 40.59 KB
small1.jpg

The journey not the destination

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review of Wulflund Re-enactment Viking Sword (blunt)Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic