Go to page 1, 2  Next

All I want...
Reproductions of these two pieces. Then I'm done. ;) The sword need not have the extensive engraving of this one. See? I'm really easy to please!

Attachment: 110.84 KB
cutlass.jpg

Attachment: 50.25 KB
pic_engswords04.jpg

I like both those choices, but I'm going to tell you from experience that you won't be done even after acquiring them.

I absolutely love the wide multi-fullered blade on the second example!
That is what i keep telling my self before each purchase: that is it and then i am done............Let me give you a hint: it is never enough :eek: this is an addiction, the more you feed it the more you want.......and the more expensive stuff you want :D

It is a vicious circle......:D :lol: And somehow I do not want out of it :cool:

Alexi
Quote:
...you won't be done even after acquiring them...

You think? Well, now that you mention it, there are some lovely and very tempting German horseman's swords that fit my chronological focus. I guess I need one of those, too. But then I'm done. Really. Although....
If had nickel for ever time those words came out of my mouth....

That's why I'm in the process of selling off all my U-C LOTR collection.
One to help pay the bills & two to help fund a special ElJay project.

The tumor never stops growing :D

Bill
Sean, check out the sword as it might look simplified.

Attachment: 26.35 KB
english_sword.jpg

LOL! You beat me to it! So, I'll just blue the hilt instead. Now we're getting a nice, practical field sword (that I might actually be able to afford). It's tough to tell if this weapon actually did have a blued hilt, but I notice that the description mentions gold damascene decoration, so I'm guessing it did have a dark blue/black finish. I like this finish, but I might want to go bright to fit the rest of my collection. Decisions...decisions....

Attachment: 70.98 KB
english_sword.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:
Quote:
...you won't be done even after acquiring them...

You think? Well, now that you mention it, there are some lovely and very tempting German horseman's swords that fit my chronological focus. I guess I need one of those, too. But then I'm done. Really. Although....

Just out of curiousity, do you have a photo of the full blade, of the second sword?

The hilt could be done by a guy named Erik Stevenson or another guy named Eljay. Never know, might be a blade maker could do the blade too........
Unfortunately, I don't have full view of the weapon. However, it's discussed briefly under "Broadswords" here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_engswords.html

Since the caption lists the museum collection, I'm sure this could be tracked down. However, the text indicates that the blade is much altered from its original form. The weapon is thought to be ca. 1600, so perhaps the blade is significantly earlier? German? Judging from the description, I'm guessing the blade tapers only a little.

Eljay seems to like this sword, too, and if I save the dough I'll certainly approach him first for the complete weapon.

If I save lots of dough and want a custom, tempered blade, then you'll be my first call, Gus. I've been very pleased with my other Eljay/Atrim combo! That would probably be my ideal for this weapon, too.
Maybe something like this, only four inches longer. And straight. And almost flat for the last 1/3. And professional. And attractive. :lol:

Attachment: 37.22 KB
blade.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:
Maybe something like this, only four inches longer. And straight. And almost flat for the last 1/3. And professional. And attractive. :lol:

Hi Sean

It was just a thought......*g*

That is something I could do, would love to do in conjunction with Eljay, but still just a thought. A couple of months ago, I acquired some new software that would supposedly speed the "programming" of the blades...... and last nite I finally figured it out........

So one off or short run blades are now a definite possibility.......
Sean - how about this one? Looks like it sort of fits your theme?

Attachment: 13.93 KB
bastardsword8.jpg

That is a very pretty piece, but I was thinking more along the lines of the one Alexi documented at the Higgins:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3199&start=0

A single page of the Imperial Austria book shows three such weapons, all with blackened hilts. That's a sight to see, brother! I wish I had the book close to hand so I could share the love.

I can see I'm going to have to go after some freelance work....
Unless I die and collect some insurance money, I'm not likely to be going the custom blade route, however much I'd like to do so. What do y'all think of this option? I can get this blade new for under $200. I sold one of these, used, for $100 last year, so might be able to find another used one for that price. Whoooaaa...I'm gettin' the fever now, folks!

Attachment: 37.98 KB
newblade.jpg

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 18 Mar, 2005 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
What about the Mad Piper's Del Tin blade?

[ Linked Image ]
Oof! Yeah, that's even better. I certainly prefer the DT cross-section. Do you happen to know what he's charging for those? I couldn't find a price on his site. It's probably a budget-buster, but who knows?

Hey, y'all have done a lot to refine my thinking on this piece and move me towards a purchase. I appreciate that!
Sean Flynt wrote:
Oof! Yeah, that's even better. I certainly prefer the DT cross-section. Do you happen to know what he's charging for those? I couldn't find a price on his site. It's probably a budget-buster, but who knows?

Hey, y'all have done a lot to refine my thinking on this piece and move me towards a purchase. I appreciate that!

I'm not sure of price. I'd check with Donnie Shearer. Nathan also bought one of these (or more) from Donnie. He may know what they went for back when he bought them.
The bare blade was less than $200
That's not bad at all. Hmmmm....I have much to ponder.
Sean,

If you're thinking on the DT blade, remember that you'll still need to get the hilt done by somebody. My point is that if you convince yourself to run in this ballpark price wise, I would highly suggest doing a little more talking with Gus before your mind is made up. He was very reasonable and good to me when it came to making a blade "outside the box". . . and that was before he had the shiny new software to make a quicker/easier job of it.

Don't sell the old Dawg short for a couple of coppers - I've always been happier saving a little longer and (especially on a custom or one-off piece) getting exactly what I want. It reminds me of a saying on a poster at the training facility I was at in Chicago a week ago, "Excellence is remembered long after price is forgotten." Do something right once or spend forever second-guessing it later (this hobby more than any other has taught me this nugget o' wisdom).

My $.02 (from a guy who understands too well what it's like barely having $.02 to rub together. . . :) )
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: