Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generation 2 swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Generation 2 swords?         Reply with quote

After a few unfruitful searches, I figured I'd just come out and ask: what's the scoop on Generation 2 swords (as offered on By the Sword's website)? Who makes 'em? Are they any good? Does anybody here have one? Thanks. Happy

Here are two that have caught my eye:

12th C. Medieval Sword and Excaliber (from the movie).
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have handeled them (sort of) at the scottish games in here in tulsa, they reminded me alot of the Valiant Armory sword i have. asie from that i don't recal thinking too unhighly of them. maybe someone else can give you a better more accurate impression.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Tai Tam

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the link to the gen 2 stuff

http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/merchant.mv?..._Code=ICIB
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel and Tai,

Thanks for the input. I have the impression that Gen 2 swords are probably pretty close to Windlass or Chen swords as far as quality, though it sounds like they may be made a bit more "heavy duty."
That link was cool. I was able to find some other stuff as a result. These swords look to be pretty hefty, my only concern is that they are made for steel-to-steel "stage" combat, and as such may be made fairly soft to avoid chipping and/or breaking when struck together. I'd love to know the Rockwell numbers on these blades..... Happy
Tai Tam

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not e-mail them to find out about the hardness. They might be able to tell you.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tai Tam wrote:
Why not e-mail them to find out about the hardness. They might be able to tell you.

D'oh! Laughing Out Loud I'll do that, and let you know what results I get. Actually, I believe most Windlass blades are in the high 40's range (47-48?), and they seem to hold up pretty well for most cutting. Question

Will report. Happy
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not positive that it is the same sword, but the 12th cen. one looks like something that Lloyd Clark has a couple of. They have both been used heavily for stage combat and are rather chewed up (we started calling them the saws instead of swords.)

My impression of it was not very good, it seemed very hilt heavy and kind of "dead in the hand. And it also seemed to have just more overall weight than even some of the Starfire blades that we use for stage combat. Overall i wasn't impressed with it at all, but that is just my humble opinion.

Like i said above, I am not even sure if it is the same sword or manufacturer. Lloyd or even Jon Janusz might be able to clear it up for me/you.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
I am not positive that it is the same sword, but the 12th cen. one looks like something that Lloyd Clark has a couple of. They have both been used heavily for stage combat and are rather chewed up (we started calling them the saws instead of swords.)

My impression of it was not very good, it seemed very hilt heavy and kind of "dead in the hand. And it also seemed to have just more overall weight than even some of the Starfire blades that we use for stage combat. Overall i wasn't impressed with it at all, but that is just my humble opinion.

Like i said above, I am not even sure if it is the same sword or manufacturer. Lloyd or even Jon Janusz might be able to clear it up for me/you.

I would imagine that any sword specifically designed for the rigors of steel-to-steel combat (as we all know, not necessarily an historical practice Laughing Out Loud ) would by necessity be somewhat "overbuilt" and, as a result, quite heavy and clunky in the hand. Since I am primarily interested in a heavy duty "chopper" that I can use for serious cutting, I am not too concerned about the weight/feel issue. The 12th C. sword is listed at 3.5 lbs., so it is quite a bit heavier that many similarly-sized swords, but not prohibitively so.
I too would love to hear from either of the guys you mentioned, if they have any further input. Happy

Thanks,

Scott
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Through some circuitous searching, I found that Generation 2 swords are made/imported by a company called Imperial Co., Inc. I emailed them and received a prompt response that their blades are RC 50-55. That sounds just about ideal for a European style sword. Happy

http://www.imperialcoinc.com/
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: gen 2...........................         Reply with quote

hey there. I own a Gen 2 Excalibur , and for the price, it's very nice. it is quite the cutter. a little heavy for my taste though. the fit and finish are quite good considering I paid $215 for it new. it does not handle at all well when moving through guards so if you want to use it to study German long sword, forget it! you would be much better served by an Albion squire line great sword. if you really like it, go for it, but imho, saving up the extra cash for an Albion, atrim, or an a&a would be a better bet.....and do not get the wood scabbard. it's terrible. if you want to wear this one I would get a scabbard made by Russ Ellis. hope this helps
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike! No worries about handling. As I said above, I'm looking for something that's cheap, but still a beast of a cutter. Laughing Out Loud Something that can take a fair amount of abuse. My Windlass Drac fits this description pretty well, but you know how it is, you gotta have a few different styles of swords to avoid getting bored (variety being the spice of life and all Cool ). I was looking at the Windlass Archer's short sword, but decided it was too similar to the Drac. The only other sword in the Windlass collection I like is the Towton, but I ultimately decided against it as well, figuring that it might not be an ideal cutter because of the skinny-tipped blade. I finally found the Gen 2 stuff, and liked the looks of the two I pictured above. I just wanted to hear from a couple of people who already own them, before I buy. I get the feeling that Gen 2's are probably in the same basic class as Windlass (roughly the same price range), though according to the weight figures and blade hardness numbers given, perphaps a bit sturdier. I appreciate your input. Thanks again. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generation 2 swords?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic