Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and a question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Hello and a question         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I want to introduce myself...I've been reading, learning, and enjoying this site for a while now. My thanks to all who run this site, contribute to it, and make it such a great place to expand knowledge. I'm a relative newbie, and have been just soaking in all the info I can. I recently purchased my first sword over the internet from the fine folks at Albion Armorers. I purchased a Regent thru their payment plan and I just received today. What a beautiful sword! All the reviews and comments of it really hit the mark. Here's my question though, and any help will be greatly appreciated...I opened it up and was admiring the great work they did on it. As I made my way down the blade to the tip, I noticed the very tip was flat, like it got ground down or snapped or something. Not a lot of it...just the last 1/8 inch or so of the blade. Has anyone heard of this? It was packaged really well, and the box was intact and all...Well I e-mailed Mike from Albion, but I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I don't think it would hurt functionality in the thrust or anything (but then again I'm just a beginner! Laughing Out Loud I'd probably snap the tip when I use it anyway!) Thanks in advance!

Jeremy
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and a question         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
Hi everyone, I want to introduce myself...I've been reading, learning, and enjoying this site for a while now. My thanks to all who run this site, contribute to it, and make it such a great place to expand knowledge. I'm a relative newbie, and have been just soaking in all the info I can. I recently purchased my first sword over the internet from the fine folks at Albion Armorers. I purchased a Regent thru their payment plan and I just received today. What a beautiful sword! All the reviews and comments of it really hit the mark. Here's my question though, and any help will be greatly appreciated...I opened it up and was admiring the great work they did on it. As I made my way down the blade to the tip, I noticed the very tip was flat, like it got ground down or snapped or something. Not a lot of it...just the last 1/8 inch or so of the blade. Has anyone heard of this? It was packaged really well, and the box was intact and all...Well I e-mailed Mike from Albion, but I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I don't think it would hurt functionality in the thrust or anything (but then again I'm just a beginner! Laughing Out Loud I'd probably snap the tip when I use it anyway!) Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I got mine Regent today and the tip was needle sharp. It had a protective cork stopper:)

The guys at Albion will likely fix it for you

Alexi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like you're describing the secondary bevel on the edges of the tip. The regent has a secondary bevel on its edges (read our review for more information on this feature).

Is it the quite differnet on both faces or do they match?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Alexi...I had a cork, too, but it was not on the sword when I opened it up... Worried It was underneath some of the newspaper towards where the tip was.

Hi Nathan...I don't think it would be the bevel...the tip is squared off just at the end...not needle sharp I guess you could say. I can only compare it to pictures on Albion's site and on this site, but the last 1/8 inch or so seems to be gone...It's kinda like looking at a pyramid and a flat-topped pyramid...if that makes any sense (not quite like a sword but its the first thing I thought of)
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well....upon further inspection of the box...I found the tip! It had poked thru and curled a bit before snapping off, getting stuck inside the outside wall of the end...I think UPS may have opened it because the cork was off at the other end...The tip was in the end that the handle was on! I'm gonna shoot Mike another e-mail to let him know. Thanks a lot guys! This is such a beautiful sword, and even with this very slight damage it's very striking, at least to me!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
Well....upon further inspection of the box...I found the tip! It had poked thru and curled a bit before snapping off, getting stuck inside the outside wall of the end...I think UPS may have opened it because the cork was off at the other end...The tip was in the end that the handle was on! I'm gonna shoot Mike another e-mail to let him know. Thanks a lot guys! This is such a beautiful sword, and even with this very slight damage it's very striking, at least to me!

That would be terrible if UPS actually removed the sword from the box Worried

Thank God this hasn't happened to me after so many sword purchases.

I bet Mike will help you get things straightened out. Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was exactly what happened to my Regent, but the culprit was FedEx. Just get back with Mike and Albion can fix it as good as new.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys! I know shipping has its hazards...I worked for UPS for over 4 years Eek! Thanks Steve...well actually sorry to hear that, but at least I am not alone. I e-mailed Mike last nite when I got the box, so I'll hopefully hear from him after the weekend. It's gonna stink to hafta send it back, but I do want it in one piece. Even with the broken tip it's still quite beautiful. Once I get some more cash, Albion's got a new repeat buyer!
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
I e-mailed Mike last nite when I got the box,

Hey Jeremy~

I just popped on from home and saw this. I am sorry to hear about the tip. We will take care of this for you.

I did not get an email from you today. Worried So can you resend it? I will get in touch with you on Monday about where we go from here.

Again --- I really am sorry to hear about the tip but we will make it right.

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike...Sure thing...I wasn't sure if you got the e-mail or not...I'll send you another. You guys did a great job with the sword, but shipping didn't handle it too well. I didn't know if anyone else had this happen. I'm sure its not very common, but things happen. Thanks Mike, hope you have a great weekend!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy;

Well my Gaddhjalt I got a year ago had a very small burr at the tip that I fixed myself, although Mike offered to take care of it.

Since this sword has a rounded parabolic tip fixing the burr was easy and the damage limited, also the look of the sword was not altered.

Now a needle like point just doesn't look right even if it is missing only 1/16". ( If it does loose it's extreme pointyness, it should be through normal use and recharpening and it should just become slightly more rounded. )

No proof but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened through excessively rough handling or some "politically correct" anti weapon Zealot enjoys snapping these points off in the mistaken belief that he/she is making some moral point. (Excuse the pun. ) ( Or maybe I'm just being paranoid? )

Although rare these suspicious looking damages have been discussed here before as a topic.

Oh, my Sovereign arrived intact and still has a "perfect" needle point!

I' m sure that Mike will make this right for you, but these things are always upsetting. Let us know when you get it back so that we can also "sigh" in relief with you.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean
Yeah, I imagine it's probably not too bad to take a small burr out of a more rounded tip. I know what you're saying though that with a sword like the Regent or Sovereign, it just doesn't look right. The sword looked great, but when I saw the tip, I knew something was missing. WTF?! Later, when searching the box was when I found the puncture holes and the tip curled up in the outside end. I think I know what happened ( I know UPS's procedures, even after 5 years!) I think someone handled it too rough; thats how the cork came off and the tip poked through. Then it more than likely got caught on a conveyor belt, where the rubbing curled the tip in and then caused enough force to snap it off (leaving it in the wall of the box where it originally poked through). I don't think anyone tampered with it, because the tape seemed intact, but the rewrap section can work wonders on damaged goods Wink . Oh well, you never know. I'm glad to hear most everyone's shipping was good. I will definitely let you know how it turns out. I'm glad that Albion is so helpful, and Mikes customer service has been second to none. I think they'll fix it nicely, I just hope that UPS handles it nicely!
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Excellent sword-excellent service         Reply with quote

Hello everyone...I had posted here mid-late Feb with a question on shipping...I purchased a Regent from Albion and due to rough handling in transit the protective cork came off and the tip poked through the box resulting in some damage. I know that UPS ships millions of packages, and they usually handle them well, just not that one. Let me just say (and I'm sure most people already know!) that Mike at Albion was extremely helpful and he got my sword turned around very quickly. He kept me informed and answered all my e-mails promptly. The crew at Albion did a fantastic job on the Regent, and the tip is good as new. It all arrived safe and sound this afternoon, and I am very pleased to be adding this to my, well starting my collection (I only have one other sword!) Laughing Out Loud All in all, I guess good things come to those who wait...now I've got to wait for spring to arrive! Stupid New England weather...it's 50 degrees one day, then 20 and snowing the next WTF?! Well, now I've got another question...what should I get next...maybe I can gather a small arsenal by the time the snow melts Cool
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent sword-excellent service         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
Well, now I've got another question...what should I get next...maybe I can gather a small arsenal by the time the snow melts Cool

Jeremy-

I have the same problem... Albion's only got about 40 Eek! models out now that I really MUST have... My opinion is that the Regent is one of the sweetest - mine's in the queue to be made at this very moment. Best advice I can offer is to define what type of collection you wish to build. Are you partial to a particular blade style? Primarily thrusting, cutting, combo? Find the ones that fit... remember, too... there's the Collector's club - buy 6 in 12 months, get the average price towards a 7th - Mike'll be glad to get you hooked up, I'm sure. I'm personally leaning toward those new longswords... but that's me.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoops...thanks for moving this to my original post...I was so excited to get my sword back that I just threw on the new post to let people know that shipping was good...this will make it clearer for people who didn't see my first post Happy
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent sword-excellent service         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
Stupid New England weather...it's 50 degrees one day, then 20 and snowing the next WTF?!

Tell me about it Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Happy

Alexi
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey we get the same weather problems here in Wisconsin as you have out in MA. And i have to agree, it is definitely a drag. Especially for a motorcycle, Sword and Bull Whip enthusiast like my self. My whip has be just hanging in my closet untouched since late October. To wet to play....

One benefit that I have in wisconsin though is that Albion is Right here as well.... Laughing Out Loud Which means when i finally decide on what model i am going to purchase first (which keeps changing every time I visit Albion, cuz they keep handing me new and different swords to fall in love with), i can just go and get it my self. UPS or FedEx wont get my tip.

And that makes it all worth while.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I could deal with this cold and snow better too if I were near Albion Wink ...But what I really hate is for about 2 or 3 days we'll be in the mid 40's to 50's and all the snow will start to melt...then suddenly it's 25 with 6 inches of snow on the way! I don't know if you have this saying in WI, but in new england we say "if you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two...it'll change" Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
I don't know if you have this saying in WI, but in new england we say "if you don't like the weather, just wait a day or two...it'll change" Laughing Out Loud

We have that saying down here in Louisiana, too. Difference is, rather than shovel snow, we cut the grass 10 to 11 months a year. Eek!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Complain, complain about cold: We are having a cold and very windy day here today, with the wind chill it"s supposed to feel like -30 degrees celsius.

We had a warm end to February were the temperature rose to the freezing point of water Zero celsius or 32 farenheith.
( Practically tropical weather here, people passing out because of the heat ...... LOL. )

The sidewalk were nice and dry and were looking forward to St Patrick's day ( Usually the time when springtime like weather starts here. )

So we get a foot of snow and -30 c weather instead: I WANT SPRING NOW Eek!

Jeremy: Get armour next! Oh, and glad you got your sword back in the shape it should have been.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello and a question
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: