Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Smallsword Identification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Strickling

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Smallsword Identification         Reply with quote

A friend of mine just acquired a sword (pictures attached) which is a bit outside of my period of interest. Can anyone help with identification? He's pretty much looking for manufacturer, country of origin, dates, any historical info on who might have used it -- that kind of thing. Thanks!

Attachment: 37.16 KB
20230328_223639.jpg

Attachment: 21.24 KB
Screenshot_20230322_084249_Firefox.jpg

Attachment: 16.53 KB
Screenshot_20230322_084242_Firefox.jpg

Attachment: 12.82 KB
Screenshot_20230322_084313_Firefox.jpg

Attachment: 50.54 KB
20230328_221546.jpg

Attachment: 29.36 KB
Screenshot_20230322_084258_Firefox.jpg

Ben Strickling
Parker D.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Friend,
Could be wrong, but that looks like a french m1887 artillery or grenadiers short sword. Kinda looks like average shape, if "average" was ever a thing in condition.

cheers
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Ben Strickling,

I fear that the previous reply is not quite correct. The sword is a French model 1887 infantry non-commissioned officer's sword (épée de sous-officier d’infanterie rengagé, modèle 1887). According to the inscription, it was made in the government arms factory at Châtellerault in September 1888. Despite the grenade symbol on the guard, it's not from a grenadier regiment because the French army has not included grenadiers since 1870. But the grenade badge continued in use by the Foreign Legion, the Gendarmerie nationale (a national police force which is part of the military but also has civilian duties), and the customs service, which was part of the French military until 1940. The French government at the time the sword was made was the Third Republic, which lasted from 1870 (replacing the Second Empire after its defeat in the Franco-Prussian War) until 1940 (replaced by the Vichy government after France's fall to Germany).

I hope this proves helpful.

Best,

Mark Millman
Parker D.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not necessarily true, its true of what some of what he said, true, but armies have been reissuing gear since time before man. It is as he said its already stamped for it literally as to what I believe it was implying. Its like I said though I believe its roughly that. Just as a modern example, they were using (and still in the few are last time I checked, could have been replaced but) were using M14's in desert storm and into the mid 2010's that rifle was fielded for like three years in the seventies in nam and were talking late 1800's... And its funny because every army (almost) was reissuing notoriously and many were killed for it, for some up until like what, 1910-20-30 realistically in whole? Especially the french I believe if memory serves me correctly, but that was with most European countries honestly. Every culture re stamps their gear for reissue literally every one of them that I can think of. Just because its re stamped twenty years later, or sometimes being an arsenal reissue, doesn't mean its not what it is. But I can't be 100% but its in that area. As an extreme example, I believe could be wrong, but it was the turks during WWII too, that were using like Maxim guns for reissue, that like fifty years out of service. Its never black and white as to an army or force will only use gear in the decade it was made, just doesn't happen, its always reissued to some capacity. Not saying he's saying it is, just clarifying. But his insight was definitely useful and knowledgeable.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Smallsword Identification
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic