Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identify this Rondel Dagger? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff Larson

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Identify this Rondel Dagger?         Reply with quote

Can you identify this particular Rondel Dagger? There are photos of it at several places on the net, most of them stock photos. The caption reads:

"A rare decorated rondel dagger, Italian/South German, 1st quarter of the 16th century Double-edged blade of hollowed diamond sec"

For some reason, I have it in my mind that this piece is in the Musée de l'Armée in Paris, but I can't find a citation for that. Has anyone here seen it? Thanks.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That photo was one that I created. It was snagged from the myArmoury.com Facebook Page. You can find the specific photo In the Rondel Daggers Album.

Whoever decided to download the image and upload it to whatever site you found it doesn't give a crap about copyrights or about education. Here is the caption I included:

Quote:
A Rare Decorated Rondel Dagger, Italian/South German, 1st quarter of the 16th century

Double-edged blade of hollowed diamond section with a pronounced ricasso. Helically cut iron grip and bronze grip ferrules retaining some of their gilding. Slightly different sized discs on both ends with corded and gilt bronze borders. Engraved and gilded, decorative floral bronze openwork overlays riveted on the top and bottom. Iron surfaces somewhat pitted.

Overall length: 36.5 cm (14.37")

Copyright © Hermann Historica Auction House

As you can see, the dagger was in an auction from Hermann Historica.

I don't have any specific info to back this up, but there's a very good chance that is in the style of the 16th century and not authentic to that time.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeff Larson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, so sorry to see that you're the victim of such a ripoff.

On the flip side, I need to go peruse that album.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larson wrote:
Wow, so sorry to see that you're the victim of such a ripoff.

On the flip side, I need to go peruse that album.

Happens all the time. Happy

I've basically stopped making original content because it's taken and used all over for other peoples' purposes.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeff Larson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, so looking more closely, most of the stock photos are single shots at different angles, not your composite of those same shots. Perhaps the stock photos are by a company who took them for Hermann Historica. <shrug>

The composite you created pops up most often on Pinterest, which to me is a showplace for "cool stuff I found on the web". Still, they should have credited you.

And all that aside, I'm curious as to why you think that may be of the style of the 16th Century but not authentic to the 16th Century. Is there anything specific that screams out, "this doesn't look right for this time period"?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larson wrote:
And all that aside, I'm curious as to why you think that may be of the style of the 16th Century but not authentic to the 16th Century. Is there anything specific that screams out, "this doesn't look right for this time period"?

Because one has to use critical thinking when assessing objects from Hermann Historica, or really any auction house.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Identify this Rondel Dagger?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic