Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My first day review of Brescia Spadona! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leonardo Daneluz wrote:
Mi first post here...

In my experience iron fittings (specially guards) are better in soft iron. If the guard is hard it would loose easier. Also the kind of guard in the Brescia (thick near the hole and much thinner towards the ends) is an efficient way to adress the vibration problem.
Modern forged iron (say sae 1010) would be very very soft compared to any kind of heat treated steel. Hand forged medium carbon steel (say sae1045) may have a hardness of 20- 30 Rc. In both cases it is soft and will be damaged very similarly (there is a huge diference in strenght between 30 rc and the numbers we see in blades, just it doesnt appear like a linear function).
A sword with a full hardened guard and pommel would be very unpleasant for hitting anything. I have made only one in that way and it was the last one, many years ago. It was awful.

You know, I hate to pull this thread further from its original topic, but I need to correct this. I've in the past made guards and pommels from 1144, at 35rc. And there was no difference between them and the softer guards and pommels made of 1018 and or 303 stainless, as far as vibration, or handling. Guards and pommels have nothing to do with vibration problems one way or the other, that's almost all taken care of by proper balancing {see various threads and articles on "harmonic balance"}.

The only reason I use 1018 now instead of the 1144 I tried some three years ago for guards is cost. 1018 is cheaper to start with, easier and thus cheaper to machine and grind. And 1018 makes more than acceptable guards....

Has nothing whatsoever to do with vibration dampening........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Lance

Can't help you much on this, but the stainless used on the pommel on that time, is 303 stainless, which is about the same hardness as the 1018 used on the guards of both AT's and Tinkers at that time........

Thanks for ur information. If that's the case, the damage on the tinker sword pommel received from the accident was relatively insignificant, which is shown below:

I suspect that besides hardness, it was also related to the geometrical problem. A circular surface would always receive the impact better than the corners of the Brescia pommel, which the latter were flattened and split 1mm apart by the tiles on the floor during the impact.

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
By measuring pivot point, I let the sword tip point upward and hold the sword by putting 2 fingers on the guard, then try to balance it.

I've never seen anybody measure the pivot point with the tip pointing upwards and wanted to make sure you didn't type this as a typo. While I have no doubt that a point-up orientation would work, doing it point-down is just as effective: perhaps it's even easier and less prone to accidents?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:
By measuring pivot point, I let the sword tip point upward and hold the sword by putting 2 fingers on the guard, then try to balance it.

I've never seen anybody measure the pivot point with the tip pointing upwards and wanted to make sure you didn't type this as a typo. While I have no doubt that a point-up orientation would work, doing it point-down is just as effective: perhaps it's even easier and less prone to accidents?

Hhehehe learned it from the debatable ARMA article by George Turner.

With the point downward it seems to yield different result... I've to test again to confirm.

Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leonardo Daneluz wrote:
I forgot a question for mr Chan

When you refer to the pivot point...From where did you measure it?

For your interest, this is the point downward method provided by Albion armorers. Will be safer for point upward method for sure.
---
Pivot Point: When holding a sword at the top of the grip (where the grip meets the guard), point downward, between thunb and forefinger, move the sword back and forth with gentle movements of the hand. The sword will naturally pivot between your fingers and there should be a spot either along the blade or at the point where the blade seems to remain stationary. This is referred to as the pivot point -- the proper location of the pivot point will vary depending on the purpose of the sword -- a thrusting sword should have a pivot point located at the very tip of the blade point, a cutting sword may have a pivot point close to or corresponding to the CoP.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:

With the point downward it seems to yield different result... I've to test again to confirm.

Thanks, Lance. I had forgotten that detail of that article.. so much to digest reading that piece. I'm afraid were I to test swords with the point upwards like that, I'd end up hurting myself or stabbing a couch or something. Worried

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tested it with the Albion instruction. The pivot point tested with the point downward test indeed show a pivot point at 1/3 of the blade length from the tip, much closer to the COP than the point upward test.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:

Thanks, Lance. I had forgotten that detail of that article.. so much to digest reading that piece. I'm afraid were I to test swords with the point upwards like that, I'd end up hurting myself or stabbing a couch or something. Worried

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance,

You seem to have some serious issues with your new sword. Have you considered contacting the maker for a refund? You can then put that money towards a sword from another maker that will meet your needs.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've thought of it honestly. However, I've used the sword on test cutting and it had marks of characters on the blade and on the fittings. I'm not sure how the refund works in USA but in Hong Kong, for local sales, once something is "used" you may hardly get it to the shop for a refund. So an alternative way I came up with was to put it on sales on the classified later.

Maybe I should shoot Mike an email anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Lance,

You seem to have some serious issues with your new sword. Have you considered contacting the maker for a refund? You can then put that money towards a sword from another maker that will meet your needs.

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IMO the pics don't show any damage worth speaking of. In many of them I can't see anything. I guess we'll see a real bargain in the classifieds soon, or what do you say?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Truthfully, this is the only time I can remember reading somebody commenting about small dents and dings after hitting metal against metal. A group of my swords are all piled up right now in a corner because I recently took them to a photoshoot as props. I'm sure they're dinged up a bit here and there, but I don't care because I don't look at them with macro photography and find concern with the tiny issues that arise.

In the case of swords used for sparring, these things are meant to be beat on things, so I certainly don't worry about a ding or nick here or there. I understand your point about the comparative response between swords, so we need not reiterate that. I get it. I am thinking that you're just posing these questions and trying to determine what your specific needs are.

Authentic swords have fittings of varying degrees of hardness and of varying materials. You can trust me when I tell you that many were of buttery-soft iron (slight exaggeration there) that would be, and repeatedly have been, affected by hitting other metal objects. Others are gilt iron, and are perhaps just as subject to such changes because of this. And others are steel and are much less hard than any mainstream modern maker. I wouldn't call any of these "fragile" but they certainly are not difficult to ding or scratch.

You may need to chalk this up to experience. Perhaps you've found that your needs as a collector and martial artist require hilt fittings harder than those found on many authentic examples from the historical record. Maybe your needs are more in line with some of the modern-made "performance" reproductions available with harder fittings, more robust shapes with more blended grinding and less "crispness" of detail that can be altered, or a more durable finish of some kind.

The Brescia has details that are very "crisp", having edges and bevels of fine detail. I'd expect this to be quite easily affected with contact on other hard metal objects. Your Tinker sword has much more blended shapes with more rounding on its edges and flat surfaces that are likely not to be affected as much. Combine the fact that the Tinker's fittings are likely harder and this starts to make some sense.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan's made a good post and I echo his comments.

Given the way that the sword has been handled, I see nothing unreasonable about the wear it exhibits. However, you obviously do. Rather than posting photos everytime the sword receives a ding you might be better served in putting some thought into defining what your expectations of a sword are. What do you expect from it and how do you expect it to perform? This will help you find a sword that meets your needs.

Leonardo Daneluz

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr Trim:

When writing what I wrote I was tempted to make the exception in the case of the sword is constructed by holding everything by the riveted end of the tang or, as in your swords, a nut.
As far I know, many ancient swords (let΄s not discuss which ones and when, we already know it) have their guards and pommels already fixed indepently of the wooden grip. Few european woods can hold a guard tight for long time. Its much safer if they are already secured to the tang. Personally I havent examined more than six (6) mediaeval swords but some of them look a lot like if the guards were fixed red hot very tightly. One I have seen was also bent over the shoulders in the manner of the guard of a takouba (forge welded in the zone of the quillons).
But besides the historical ways, where there are many persons here who know it better, we can fix the parts of a sword holding everything just by the end of the tang or also (not instead) by making guard and pommel secured to the tang indepently of the wood. Difficult to explain this in english for me but think in something like a viking styled hilt.
As you better know, if the wood is hard enough and the nut at the end of the tang can be re-adjusted then its obvious that there are not problems with the design (if you think I am questioning that) and you can make the guard of 65 rc M2 if you want it.
I make the guards in the forge (I even drill the hole with a chisel) and fix them with a good pressure before putting the wooden grip. In practice weapons (which people here tend to use more in the ancient sca style of edge to edge, etc) I am asked from time to time to make hardened guards to prevent chips (my solution is round 45-48 rc). They always loosen before the soft iron ones. If I would be putting a threaded nut instead of riveting in my practice swords they would need periodic readjusting. Yours don΄t need it?

Nothing to do with harmonic balance or handling if you dont put things to the extreme. In my particular sword guard and pommel were 55 rc O1.... Chipping proof Wink
To keep it on topic: To prevent chipping in any significant way the best way is geometry. To the same shape the real diference starts in heat treated steel.

On the pivot point:
I use the point down and it gives me the same results than the pendulum test proposed by Burton. But is not more reasonable making it from the middle of the hand, some 3 cm from the guard? Who (turner doesnt count ) has established that the sword rotates in the guard ? and always?
I have my brain disconnected today but I believe there should not be any diference between point up or down. The problem may be the form you do it. Try the pendulum once just to see what you are doing. I have the feeling that that sword has its pivot point measured point down and from the guar very near the tip. 1/3 is more a saber result (pommel-less) or something with a very short grip.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if I have to choose between the quillon bending or the hilt loosening I would choose the former. Better suffer a few dings and dents with a softer steel than having the structural integrity compromised.
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my 2 cents reply as I cannot possibly compete with the knowledge of historical arms or types of steel of those who have replied above (particularly Mr Johnsson) but I would support Nathan and Patrick's comments above about the expectations of edged weapons. I collect antique small-swords and rapiers(for many years) and fence for a hobby but my knowledge of recreations of arms is limited. But I would say this about the originals. I spent a good day at the London International Antique Arms & Armour Fair last weekend looking at numerous (hundreds) European broadswords, rapiers, small-swords, Islamic swords and Japanese katana and tachi (which I also used to collect). When looking at the originals you can tell immediately which have been 'used' (i.e. in combat or rough practice) because of the damage. Even with Japanese katana (arguably one of the best steels made) and good quality damascus Persian or Indian blades, I saw fine quality weapons with nicks, gouges, scrapes, dents etc all over them. There were 6 good pre-1500 Japanese blades by good smiths I saw which had cheap prices because the tips were broken or they had so many dints and major nicks in the blade. That's what happens when swords are used or knocked against any hard target. Even with small-swords, which are not used edge to edge at all, you get dents in the guard, nicks and broken tips, possibly from what you would consider light contact. It is just what happens. The damage on your sword (though I don't want to get into any debate at all regarding your purchase) seems minor.

I bought a spanking new quality fencing epee made of modern steels and aluminium 2 weeks ago that you could see your face in it was so polished. After 7 bouts of 5-point epee it is scratched, the guard dented, the blade scratched, and bent at the point (re-staightened now). This epee is not made to the robustness of a rapier or medieval sword perhaps but it's just an indication of what naturally happens with even glancing contact between swords and other swords or even hard surfaces.

Daniel
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
I bought a spanking new quality fencing epee made of modern steels and aluminium 2 weeks ago that you could see your face in it was so polished. After 7 bouts of 5-point epee it is scratched, the guard dented, the blade scratched, and bent at the point (re-staightened now). This epee is not made to the robustness of a rapier or medieval sword perhaps but it's just an indication of what naturally happens with even glancing contact between swords and other swords or even hard surfaces.

Daniel this is an excellent comparison and one that I've used over the years to keep my own expectations in check. I was a competitive sabre fencer for many years so I understand perfectly what you mean. Spanking new weapons would look fairly abused after a single practice session, and you always had at least one spare weapon by the strip during competition. It wasn't a matter of "if" a weapon broke but "when". A sword of any kind is a tool with a finite lifespan and should be treated as such.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot;

To chime in at the risk of making it seem like pilling it on: Maybe the problem is in buying a high end " Museum quality " and using it with the expectation that it will remain pristine. ( Or that high quality makes it more resistant to dings than any other well constructed sword. )

The cost of the thing just makes you much more aware of minor and normal dings that wouldn't bother you too much with a less expensive " Squire Line " sword for example.

Now, having chosen to use it as a real sword and not keep it under glass using cotten gloves each time you handle it, it would be good to just accept that it IS a using sword and that it will take some minor damage. Sad

The best to me is to have two swords with identical handling: One to admire and baby and one to use, ( That doesn't cost as much Laughing Out Loud )

Now, Peter seemed to think that using it as intended was / is very acceptable to him and probably pleased him that some of these will get some real use: Use not abuse obviously.

Now, being logical about this has it's limits since emotion is involved and if further damage is going to make you feel bad maybe selling is best before it looses too much value ? ( You may find that considering selling it may bring you to want to keep it if you REALLY start seeing it as using sword. )

Anyway, hope this helps you figure out what you really want to do, what you really feel about it and why. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My first day review of Brescia Spadona!
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: