Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Scottish Long Guns Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Early Scottish Long Guns         Reply with quote

I am commissioning a near copy of the famous Breadalbane long fowling gun. As there are only 28 surviving specimens of this particular type of shoulder arm, illustrations are hard to come by. I have a question for some of you students of Scottish weapons. Was the characteristic fluting of the butt stock of the piece also found on the reverse (cheek) side? I cannot find a single illustration showing the cheek side!

Thanks as always for your kind assistance.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glenn...as far as I know, the fluting is on both sides of the stock. It would make sense for that to be the case.

Who's doing your Breadalbane gun? Will it have that extremely long barrel of the original. Please post pics when you get it.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if you like I can probably negotiate to get access to it to take detailed measurements, photography, and similar data.

feel free to get in touch and I'll work out what can be done.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JG Elmslie wrote:
if you like I can probably negotiate to get access to it to take detailed measurements, photography, and similar data.

feel free to get in touch and I'll work out what can be done.

Not speaking for Mr. Osborne but I too would love to have that information, and most especially photos of the reverse side of the gun. As was pointed out, all the photos I have ever seen were of the side of the long guns where the lock was installed which, I suppose, could be considered the most interesting side! Having some more information would be nice.

Thanks

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, it is frustrating - and it's not just photos that show only the lock side of Scottish long guns, the way they are displayed in museums is the same, and in cases/cabinets against a wall or with a solid back board. However, all is not lost. Figure 31 in Blair & Woosnam-Savage's booklet 'Scottish Firearms',1995, is a photo of the Breadalbane gun taken from above, looking along the barrel to the butt, angled slightly to show the left/cheek side of the butt. It is not perfectly clear but you can make out 3 flutes along the side corresponding to those on the lock side.
That said, I too would like to see decent photos of the 'other' side and any other information that JG can glean from the museum.
Neil

N Melville
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do - generally, they tend to restrict distribution of study photography (all my other items I've studied, I've had to sign photography licensing agreements which prohibit distribution.) , but I'll try to wrangle an exemption for 3-4 shots which will have to be watermarked with the NMS' copyright.

Here's hoping they'll be able to arrange access to it. I must admit, I do worry it might be considered just too large an object to conveniently move for study, even when compared to the assorted swords I've studied in there previously.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Melville wrote:
Figure 31 in Blair & Woosnam-Savage's booklet 'Scottish Firearms',1995, is a photo of the Breadalbane gun taken from above, looking along the barrel to the butt, angled slightly to show the left/cheek side of the butt. It is not perfectly clear but you can make out 3 flutes along the side corresponding to those on the lock side.

Neil

Thanks Neil, for the tip. I have had a copy of that book for many years and until your post, never realized that the flutes on the reverse showed up in the photo of the Breadalbane Gun. Guess I never thought of it until the question was asked.

Lin Robinson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Scottish Long Guns
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic