Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armor of Bartolomeo Colleoni Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Armor of Bartolomeo Colleoni         Reply with quote

I was recently at a bookstore and found in a book (Daily life in the Renaissance, if I remember right) that had a close up photograph of the man (and in particular his armor) Bartolomeo Colleoni as depicted in bronze sculpture in Venice by Andrea Verrocchio. I guess I was wondering if anyone had access to the book and the photograph or any other closeup photos of the figure of the man, disregarding the horse. I am beginning to build an image collection of the statue for what might be an armoring project some day (I really, really enjoyed the armor as depicted in the statue).

I would also like to hear any thoughts on the technical accuracy of the armor as sculpted - is it reasonably legitimately accurate functionally or was there a bit more "artistic license" taken than would make it practical to reproduce?

Thanks for the help and a picture of the statue scoured from the Internet to get the ideas flowing.

Attachment: 44.29 KB
image.jpg

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ffoulkes has a drawing of the back of the torso of this statue in "The Amourer And His Craft" on page 6 to show the level of overlap of pauldrons at that time. If Ffoulkes was siting it as an example the level of accuracy as far as the statue goes is pretty good. I've seen it sighted other places (non of which spring to mind at the moment) as well. I'll have to go digging and see if i've got anything with more pictures of it.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny thing. While I was looking at this book drooling over the armor on the statue, my friend Jason pulled a copy of The Armourer and His Craft off of the shelf above and to my left for about six bucks.

Thanks for the tip, Allan, and I'd appreciate anything else you can find. Also, what do you think of the book you mentioned? Any good?
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan , grab the book. Its one of those "everybody should have it " books. Ffoulkes is one of the early "pioneers"if you will in the study of armour like Laking , Mann and others. Theres some good info in the book and the price is right. Also the fellas working in the field at the turn of the 19th-early 20th century had access to (and therefore make avaliable through thier writings and pictures) some suits and pieces that have just plain dissapeared beit into private collections or what have you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armor of Bartolomeo Colleoni
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic