Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advice on a one-hand feder for i.33 HEMA practice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Advice on a one-hand feder for i.33 HEMA practice         Reply with quote

Hi,
Not sure if this is off topic or not but I need some advice on a choosing one-hand 'feder' type practice sword. I'm in the market for a sword to start practising the Walpurgis Fechtsystem (aka. i.33, aka. Sword & Buckler) From what I've seen people either use plastic waster swords, metal feder swords or even re-enactment swords (which seems a bit dangerous to me). I think I've been fencing long enough to go for a classical metal 'feder' sword as I got used to them when I lived in Germany since this is what seems to be the norm among people practising the Walpurgis Fechtsystem as it is done under HEMA rules.

I've found several manufacturers of one handed feder swords:

Szymon Chlebowski - Makes feder type one handers in flex levels: medium
https://www.trainingsschwerter.eu/haendlerpreise/regenyei/2513/federschwert-ts-by-peter-regenyei-type5a
https://www.trainingsschwerter.eu/haendlerpreise/regenyei/2515/federschwert-ts-by-peter-regenyei-type5a

Péter Regenyei - Makes make a classical feder and a feder that looks more like a real sword, in flex levels: light, medium and stiff.
https://www.trainingsschwerter.eu/waffen/training/stahl/2593/hema-sword-italien-style-3b
https://www.trainingsschwerter.eu/waffen/training/stahl/2594/hema-sword-italien-style-3b
https://www.trainingsschwerter.eu/haendlerpreise/regenyei/1645/one-handed-federschwert-by-peter-regenyei
-type1a

Viktor berbekucz - Only seems to make stiff bladed one handers

I want to get this purchase right the first time so:

• Any other manufacturers I should take a look at?
  • What is the recommended stiffness level for a i.33 HEMA fencing feder?
  • Is there any of these manufactures that I should steer away from?
  • Is there anything to keep in mind that's safety related like, not to buy anything with sharp cross guards on hits etc? I'm assuming the swords in the above links can be used at most HEMA events.
  • Does any of the makers I listed offer a one hand feder with a screwed on pommel and hilt that can be disassembled or are these feders usually peened? Some of my re-enactment swords got rattly hilts after a bit of use and this seems like a useful feature for a piece of training kit.

Last edited by Kristjan Runarsson on Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally like, and have used, the Albion for I.33.
www.arms-n-armor.com also make a model which has the screw on pommel as you requested, and are quite flexible.

I would steer clear of the Hanwei models, the edges are thin, and one snapped rather brutally at WMAW a couple years ago.

If you are based in EU still, I'm guessing?, I've had very good experience with Pavel Moc for a I.33 sword, though the model I borrowed was a touch heavy for my taste.

Best,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
I personally like, and have used, the Albion for I.33.
www.arms-n-armor.com also make a model which has the screw on pommel as you requested, and are quite flexible.

I would steer clear of the Hanwei models, the edges are thin, and one snapped rather brutally at WMAW a couple years ago.

If you are based in EU still, I'm guessing?, I've had very good experience with Pavel Moc for a I.33 sword, though the model I borrowed was a touch heavy for my taste.

Best,
Hadrian

I am in Europe. What I'm mostly wondering is how hard you can thrust in HEMA I.33 fights? ... and therefore how flexible a feder should be? I'm leaning towards those Szymon Chlebowski one hand feder swords with medium flex linked to above (I fixed the broken links). Chlebowski's longswords seem to get good reviews and do not suffer from rattly hilt syndrome.

I took a look at the Hanwei tinker, it looked good until I found out that the edges are too thin, then I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6OMveV0iaw

Imagine that happening with a sharp Tinker blade... That being said I rather like the basic idea of the Tinker. It's a pity Hanwei messed it up. They created a sharpie, made a blunt version that is basically the sharpie with the edges ground flat but not flat enough that it would be useful for re-enactment. If they had just bothered to create a dedicated sharpie, re-enactment blade and a proper feder and heat-treated the blades properly this would have been an interesting product.
Mark Tan

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a one handed meyer style rappier from regenyei that's pretty similar to the one handed trainer. I have also tried the actual one handed trainer belonging to a club mate.
I like them but the grip may be a bit long for i.33
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For "full contact" tournament style HEMA "I:33" I would recommend Albion's offering, it is, to my knowledge, widely accepted.

If you really want the rolled tip and more flex, Regenyei and Chlebowski are both cheaper and have that. Won't last you quite as long though.

If you want something more interesting, though, I would recommed looking at Viktor Berbekucz' newer Type XIVs with triple fullers:
http://www.blackarmoury.com/en/i33-arming-swo...iv-n2.html
Had the chance to fondle one at an event a few weeks ago. Really good for I:33, though not as good as the above for tournament/full contact style fighting. Slightly heavier, and the greater authority it has in a bind situation doesn't really come into play.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that the Albion I:33 is a fine practice/sparring sword.
Steven Lussenburg

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion is a bit tricky if you're EU based since you're liable for VAT tax adding another nice 20+% to the price. My rapier is from Arma Bohemia and is perfectly safe for sparring in a tshirt (ofc. with a mask & light gloves).

Danelli armouries is probably the best EU (for now Big Grin ) based maker for HEMA swords, but he has a long waiting line (I'd to wait almost a year for my longsword feder). If you have money to spent, he can make something very nice for you.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Concur. If memory serves, Hanwei feders were not allowed at Socal Swordfight a couple of months ago.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advice on a one-hand feder for i.33 HEMA practice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic