Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Del Tin - DT7164 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: New Del Tin - DT7164         Reply with quote

Among other new Del Tins that have just shown up at Kult of Athena is DT7164 - a 16th century katzbalger. I find it strangely attractive, but I am put off and puzzled by the weight - 3 lbs 7.6 oz. That seems to me to be about 1 lb. heavier than it should be. the blade is only 30 inches long, and as far as the specs say, it looks like it has good distal taper. So where is the extra weight, possibly in that ringed guard? I know Del Tins are supposed to be a little over weight, but ;this doesn't seem right.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Katzbalger

Attachment: 96.93 KB
DT7164s2.jpg
DT7164
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other new Del Tins, (new to Kult of Athena, anyway) --

DT2144, DT2147, DT5177, DT5179, DT6171, DT6172, DT7167.

http://www.kultofathena.com/new_items.asp
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm diggin' on the Venetian Infantryman's Sword. That's just classy looking, especially for an infantry sword. That Hussar Saber is looking good also, and I don't really care for curve-bladed swords! I wish they came with scabbards though--even a plain, cheap one would beat nothing. Wink ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that's my favorite of these new ones as well. It does seem a little heavy although it might feel better in hand depending on the mass distribution in the hilt.

My Lutel 13003 has stats given on their page as
Blade length - 670 mm, width - 45 mm. Weight - 1,4 kg. P.o.b. - 8 cm under guard ( sharp version)

http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMo...lger-13003

So that's about 26.37 inches long, weight at 3.08 lbs. I'll have to measure the P.o.b to compare, but if it rests further back, that could explain why the Lutel is slightly heavy, but not fatiguing. Mine was sharpened by KOA so maybe that helped the weight also.

The DT7164 is 4 inches longer and .7 lbs heavier, so that seems a little too much, if the Lutel is already a shade too heavy anyways. I don't remember much distal taper on my Lutel, but I would have to double check it.

But I like this 7164, It's a pommel type I haven't seen, not that I have studied katzbalger pommels in great detail. And I like the long fullers. And a few other things as well.

I don't like crab claws myself, it's just an aesthetic thing. I really do like the 2144 (14th Centuy Arming) and the Saber a lot as well. Glad to see these new models!
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I emailed KOA, asking them to reweigh the DT7164. That weight was a deal-killer for me, and I wanted to make sure that it was correct. I just received this reply from them.

We’ve just weighed both of the 16th Century Katzbalger(DT7164) that we have in stock. One weighs 3 lbs 7.6 oz, and the other weighs 3 lbs 7.3 oz. Del Tins are a bit hilt heavy, so most of the weight is in the guard and pommel.

Thanks for replying so quickly, KOA.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lucky you for *even getting* a response. I've messaged them about several items, and have yet to hear back. I guess the things I was inquiring about weren't worth enough to merit their time. Hrrumff! Mad ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I emailed KOA, asking them to reweigh the DT7164. That weight was a deal-killer for me, and I wanted to make sure that it was correct. I just received this reply from them.

We’ve just weighed both of the 16th Century Katzbalger(DT7164) that we have in stock. One weighs 3 lbs 7.6 oz, and the other weighs 3 lbs 7.3 oz. Del Tins are a bit hilt heavy, so most of the weight is in the guard and pommel.

Thanks for replying so quickly, KOA.

I was going to say: blades with this kind of parallel profile tend to be quite forward balanced, so the ~3" CoG on this one suggests a rather heavy hilt. It does look pretty cool though, with those multiple fullers.

The Hussar blade also looks good (very Kilij inspired) and the stats suggest much better handling.

The 'mid 14th century hand and a half' looks a bit odd to me. Looks like a 15th century Italian longsword with a 14th century Eastern European pommel.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of sabres, Del Tin has another new one - DT5183 - that looks interesting. I hope it shows up at KOA soon -

More Del Tins! Fewer Deepeekas!

http://www.deltin.it/5183.htm
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That blade would look awesome on a Scottish baskethilt.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
That blade would look awesome on a Scottish baskethilt.

I thought of that too! Although a couple more inches length would be good.
Arne G.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Del Tin - DT7164         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Among other new Del Tins that have just shown up at Kult of Athena is DT7164 - a 16th century katzbalger. I find it strangely attractive, but I am put off and puzzled by the weight - 3 lbs 7.6 oz. That seems to me to be about 1 lb. heavier than it should be. the blade is only 30 inches long, and as far as the specs say, it looks like it has good distal taper. So where is the extra weight, possibly in that ringed guard? I know Del Tins are supposed to be a little over weight, but ;this doesn't seem right.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Katzbalger

Actually, this is not too far off in weight. There is a Katzbalger very similar in size (within an inch or so) in Europaische Hieb- und Stich Waffen that weighs about 3 lbs. 4 oz. (1.47 kg)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Del Tin - DT7164
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic