Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I would like to have this dagger identified. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Anna M.

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: I would like to have this dagger identified.         Reply with quote

Hello,

We were given this dagger from a a family friend who doesn't know much about it, It's from Arabia and it has some Arabic names on it and year 1222 in Hijri calendar which is year 1807.

I would love to know if it has any value.

https://s28.postimg.org/l4u7bt40t/image.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/4v418wtct/image.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/tpnj2ze71/image.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/7289wtyn1/image.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/s0j18nnvh/image.jpg
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is an Arab dagger known as a Jambiya. Unless you have the sheath then the value, whatever it may be, is diminished. These daggers are still being made and are found all over the Middle East. Yours seems to be complete other than the sheath but only in fair condition. I really do not have an idea of monetary value but it is not likely to be very much.

The date may or may not be accurate and not necessarily the date of manufacture. Where did your friend get it?

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Anna M.

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think someone gave it to him or his family owned it, not sure. But it's from Saudi Arabia.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, as I said, it is a very common dagger. There may be millions of them out there, and that is not an exaggeration. Unless they are highly decorated and verifiable as old, they don't have much value. I suspect that every Bedouin tribesman and Saudi man has one.

Still it is an interesting piece. I would not do any restoration on it, IOW, don't buff off the rust and make the blade shiny, unless you can determine that it is relatively modern rather than antique. I would put some light oil on the blade to stabilize the rust as much as possible. Do not do anything to the wood and fittings other than wipe off any dirt with a damp, clean cloth.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have bought and sold a lot of these, as I actually collect North African/Middle Eastern arms myself. The date that you say is inscribed is probably accurate. That does not look like a modern/tourist jambiya.

I stand by most of what Lin has said. It has almost no value. Your jambiya is, unfortunately, and I mean this with no offence, in about the worst condition I have ever seen one. Typically they have included the original scabbards, and sometimes belts. The value is usually dictated by the degree of workmanship on them. Highly filigreed models, set with precious or semi-precious stones, i.e. coral, turquoise, or jade.. will sell for thousands, even tens of thousands.
I picked up one in similar condition to this one for sale for $4,200, with a similar amount of filigree and paid over £2k in Morocco itself!

As we can see from your photos, the original decoration was stamped, and it looks like the hilt material is tin? this would have a much lower value. In excellent condition, with original scabbard, you might hope to get £200. See this similar style in good condition.

Unfortunately condition dictates the price, you cannot really polish off all of the rust, without removing patina. In all honesty, you would be lucky to break £20. I believe it probably has more sentimental value than that! As Lin suggested, I would suggest lightly cleaning and stabilising the rust, and just holding on to it as a keepsake or decoration. Even if you put it up for auction for £20, I seriously doubt it would sell; as a dealer.. I wouldn't touch it.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I would like to have this dagger identified.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic