Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > De Bohun Sword -- Used at Hastings AND Bannockburn-- Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: De Bohun Sword -- Used at Hastings AND Bannockburn--         Reply with quote

This sale was three years ago; and I don't know what the realised price is.. It was estimated at £80-100,000 But ffs, this is the largest crock of bull I've ever seen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-28271904

They claim it's a 'viking' blade used at Stamford bridge and could have been a war trophy from Hastings... It's a type XIV so that's crap.. Further they trace its use to Bannockburn... How!?!

This is utterly crazy! It's in excavated condition, meaning it was dug somewhere, and only even has a 50yr provenance; really bordering on an illegal sale, not to mention the improbability (and impossibility) of their story!

Z Mad
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Failed to sell -
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-29031812

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a piece of the true cross and I know this because I was told it by a guy in a pub and he looked honest.

£120,000 any offers?

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Håvard Kongsrud

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
I have a piece of the true cross and I know this because I was told it by a guy in a pub and he looked honest.

£120,000 any offers?
I would not hesitate a second buying a piece of the true cross from you, Tod. Unfortunately, my bank does not return my calls. Can I write you a check?

More info on the sword, gleamed from Christies here.
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That is even crazier!!
Quote:
The fuller on each side has been partially filled towards the tip by molten iron to shorten the groove in proportion to the tapering tip.

How on earth could they fill the 'groove' with 'molten iron'. Molten iron would be pig-iron: "the eutectic mixture of carbon and iron which needs to be decarburized to produce steel or wrought iron, which was extremely tedious in the Middle Ages" (Wikipedia Blast Furnace). Would that even 'stick' so to speak? You would be filling the fuller with a brittle substance, not useful to a sword and adding maybe one or two grams of actual metal content. WTF?!

The are basing this whole thing on a "De Bohun family myth", I have read. This is like every person you meet who claims their great..great..great..etc... grandfather was Christopher Columbus, or Leif Eriksson, or William Wallace, but with no actual proof.

The only thing I can see as making it 'viking' in the blade are the alleged runes... but look how narrow the fuller is! No viking fullers were that narrow, and re-grinding the edge wouldn't change the fuller width!

The coat of arms makes it look like it could indeed be the sword named in the Will, but it also fits so perfectly why not just add these details, and the runes, to an actual medieval sword to match the family myth and increase the price?

Look at this photo, the cross guard is slotted for the blade! Its been put back onto the sword upside-down!

Z

Attachment: 145.99 KB
[ Download ]
Mark Lewis

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
The only thing I can see as making it 'viking' in the blade are the alleged runes...

The inscription is not even runic, so add that to the list of the auction house's misrepresentations.

All the characters are Latin letters, and reads SHEXFRHEXFRS (as best I can tell from the photo). The letter H is of a form that can also be used for the letter N. There is apparently no inlay "left" - if it is a modern forgery, there likely never was any. The corresponding inscription on a genuine sword from Finland is shown in Swords of the Viking Age - an easily accessible source of inspiration.

The third sword with this inscription, allegedly from the River Derwent, is apparently this one here. It used to be listed for £100,000 or so (price removed now) but hasn't found a buyer either...

http://www.historicarmsgallery.co.uk/11th-cen...sword.html
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They could sell it on Ebay-----VIKING NORMAN SCOTTISH GREEK CORINTHIAN CRUSADER RARE ANTIQUE STEEL SCA SWORD , used. Good to fair condition. Best offer.--- Laughing Out Loud .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
I have a piece of the true cross and I know this because I was told it by a guy in a pub and he looked honest.?

Happy

Why are there no trees in Palestine?
Because every pilgrim has a piece of the True Cross

This joke is around a thousand years old.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Jason O C

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although this story is complete BS, it reminds me of the migration period sword blade that was re-hilted as a 16th century katzbalger. Now that sword probably had a very interesting career.

Jason

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > De Bohun Sword -- Used at Hastings AND Bannockburn--
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic