myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dürer Bastard Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon, I edited the URl to reflect the real URL of the photo it linked to when I clicked your link. But I don't think it's what you intended. Please go back to the photo and copy and paste the part that says "Direct link to this photo:"
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[Begin paranoid base-covering]
For the record, regardless of the eventual conclusions and findings regarding historical accuracy, etc., I wanted to mention that my earlier statement about the cross being "clearly" the "recurve" shape described is in reference solely to the manner in which the artist rendered it, and solely for that painting.

The reason I restate and clarify this statement is because of Nathan's wording of "the other opinion expressed in this topic" - I wouldn't want people to think that my opinion, for one, is that such a shape is historical, and in fact given the other illustrations I would tend to think that the rendering of the first image was either technically inaccurate or perhaps representative of an unusual exception. It would be interesting to find a physical example of such an exception, though.

I really do NOT know western arms and armor very well, so I'm in no position to make judgments in any such regard - my only judgment thus far was in what a specific painting illustrated.
[End paranoid base-covering]

Sorry about that, I just like to be as clear as possible sometimes and I'm overly wordy. Happy Personally I believe that the artist had the skill to render the original accurately, and that it would depend on how stringently he rendered it to say whether or not the original actually had such a "vertically" curved guard.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I agree 100% that they're horizontally recurved perpindicular to the plane of the blade. But I'm hoping for some support of the other opinion expressed in this topic.

Although I'm not entirely sure there's any need for me to defend myself here, I'm going to do so anyway since I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me and my views and think that I take things for granted.

I did, from the start, state that: "The question is: Did he draw and paint what he saw or knew, or was he just taking liberties as an artist?". This is, in my opinion, a valid part of the discussion that seems to have been left behind in the debate. I have been discussing the sword depicted in the Dürer painting and not the possible actuallity of such a sword. I should have been more clear about that.

The thing that makes me a bit sceptical of outright dismissing a "recurved bow" (something I btw haven't seen anywere else either)is the fact that Dürer was a Renaissance artist. And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but weren't Renaissance artist known for being picky with such things as detail and perspective? If one also takes into account that besides being an artist, Dürer was also a fencer, I find it funny that he would screw angles and perspetives up on say an S-curved cross. Though this does not rule out that he was taking liberties as an artist and decided to "enhance" his painting somewhat. Please note though: I'm not an artist myself nor an art-expert and I'm only brainstorming here for sake of discussion. Or rather: thinking aloud. Wanted to share my thoughts on the subject anyway.

If I have come off as surly, offended or aggressive I apologize. It has not been my intentions at all.

Here's hoping for continued debate!

Best regards,
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
[Begin paranoid base-covering]
and in fact given the other illustrations I would tend to think that the rendering of the first image was either technically inaccurate or

regarding to the high quality artwork for which Duerer is known, I would deny that.
The painting is dated ca. 1504 and a masterpiece of Duerer. Look at the other details.

I would go with your other conclusion that Duerer depicted a "representative of an unusual exception". We have got several medieval swords, of which only one example has survived. Remember the sword of Edward III. which was a longtime believed to be a fake.

Thomas

PS: The attached file is rather small, but there will be larger images at the web
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/5414/paumgau3.jpg

Attachment: 123.02 KB
paumgartner_altarpiece.jpg

Last edited by Thomas Laible on Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

I agree 100% that they're horizontally recurved perpindicular to the plane of the blade. But I'm hoping for some support of the other opinion expressed in this topic.

Although I'm not entirely sure there's any need for me to defend myself here, I'm going to do so anyway since I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me and my views and think that I take things for granted.

I did, from the start, state that: "The question is: Did he draw and paint what he saw or knew, or was he just taking liberties as an artist?". This is, in my opinion, a valid part of the discussion that seems to have been left behind in the debate. I have been discussing the sword depicted in the Dürer painting and not the possible actuallity of such a sword. I should have been more clear about that.

The thing that makes me a bit sceptical of outright dismissing a "recurved bow" (something I btw haven't seen anywere else either)is the fact that Dürer was a Renaissance artist. And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but weren't Renaissance artist known for being picky with such things as detail and perspective? If one also takes into account that besides being an artist, Dürer was also a fencer, I find it funny that he would screw angles and perspetives up on say an S-curved cross. Though this does not rule out that he was taking liberties as an artist and decided to "enhance" his painting somewhat. Please note though: I'm not an artist myself nor an art-expert and I'm only brainstorming here for sake of discussion. Or rather: thinking aloud. Wanted to share my thoughts on the subject anyway.

If I have come off as surly, offended or aggressive I apologize. It has not been my intentions at all.

Here's hoping for continued debate!

Best regards,

Couldn't state it better! Cool

Thomas
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:

Couldn't state it better! Cool

Thank you! Razz

Btw, that book on Düerer's paintings -have you read it? If so: What does it say on the subject of those crosses?
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Gordon, I edited the URl to reflect the real URL of the photo it linked to when I clicked your link. But I don't think it's what you intended. Please go back to the photo and copy and paste the part that says "Direct link to this photo:"

Hmm - ok - did it. Did not see the "direct link" thing.
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Btw, that book on Düerer's paintings -have you read it? If so: What does it say on the subject of those crosses?

Unfortunately nothing about this cross. The author is an art-historian, so his knowledge about weapons is limited.
Second the book deals with all kind of weapons (pistols, polearms, daggers), amour etc. and a lot of other stuff, so the chapter about swords is rather small. I remember that he gives a brief inroduction into the bastard sword, because that is the type Duerer depicted most often.

If you've got no knowledge about the stuff, this book will mean nothing to you. But in addition to other information these images will be a valuable source.

Thomas
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
Unfortunately nothing about this cross. The author is an art-historian, so his knowledge about weapons is limited.
Second the book deals with all kind of weapons (pistols, polearms, daggers), amour etc. and a lot of other stuff, so the chapter about swords is rather small. I remember that he gives a brief inroduction into the bastard sword, because that is the type Duerer depicted most often.

If you've got no knowledge about the stuff, this book will mean nothing to you. But in addition to other information these images will be a valuable source.

Thomas

I was thinking more along the lines of the author describing the shape of the cross. But I get your point. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I'm surprised that a debate was going on, frankly. Since I haven't commented on the illustration, there is no need to defend any of your interpretations of these illustration to me. I, personally, am more interested in the swords that they represent. (Feel free to keep talking about the illustraitons though.. they are interesting for entirely other reasons...)

Anyway, I'm still waiting for some photos of real swords. Illustrations are one thing, but the original poster was asking for information on a real sword based on a given illustration. So far, nobody has posted one and that's why I tried to bring it back to that point. It's an interesting hilt design, but not one I can remember seeing. To me, that's enough reason to be excited to see one. And that was my motivation for asking for them.

Complete side-note, to me, anyway: The understanding of how to render perspective in 2-dimensional 15-16th century art is hit and miss. Look in our historical artwork photo albums for many examples that show very clearly a misunderstanding of the concept, at best, and a complete disregard for it many other times. The examples of portraits that are rendered in "stacked parallel planes" (a simplified method of rendering perspective) are abundant. Many, many examples of artwork from this period show perspective on certain objects, and completely disregard it on other portions of the image. This is often a reflection of an "area of interest" philosphy, but even then, the methods are quite often simplistic when compared to the perspective that reality gets us.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thought to throw in the mix:

The artist David Hockney and other scholars have pointed out that renaissance artists sometimes used the camera obscura, lenses or concave mirrors as an aid in quickly sketching-in reference points and accurately recording perspective. They make the interesting observation that if the artist does this multiple times for multiple objects within the painting and from different positions, the perspective shown can be technically accurate for a given object or objects, but inaccurate in the way the different perspectives relate within the painting. In other words, although we're viewing the scene from a single perspective, the artist/lens may have recorded multiple perspectives. Of particular interest here is that perspective aids also can introduce tell-tale distortion.

If I remember correctly, there is a famous Dürer sketch that shows one of these perspective aids in use (the sketch is in Hockney's book). So, Dürer certainly was familiar with the practice.

Here's a good link related to Hockney's observations:

http://humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=g&p=a&a=i&ID=648

And another author's explanation of Vermeer's Camera
http://www.vermeerscamera.co.uk/reply.htm

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

They make the interesting observation that if the artist does this multiple times for multiple objects within the painting and from different positions, the perspective shown can be technically accurate for a given object or objects, but inaccurate in the way the different perspectives relate within the painting. In other words, although we're viewing the scene from a single perspective, the artist/lens may have recorded multiple perspectives. Of particular interest here is that perspective aids also can introduce tell-tale distortion.

Point taken.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I think I'm surprised that a debate was going on, frankly. Since I haven't commented on the illustration, there is no need to defend any of your interpretations of these illustration to me. I, personally, am more interested in the swords that they represent. (Feel free to keep talking about the illustraitons though.. they are interesting for entirely other reasons...)

Anyway, I'm still waiting for some photos of real swords. Illustrations are one thing, but the original poster was asking for information on a real sword based on a given illustration. So far, nobody has posted one and that's why I tried to bring it back to that point. It's an interesting hilt design, but not one I can remember seeing. To me, that's enough reason to be excited to see one. And that was my motivation for asking for them.

Complete side-note, to me, anyway: The understanding of how to render perspective in 2-dimensional 15-16th century art is hit and miss. Look in our historical artwork photo albums for many examples that show very clearly a misunderstanding of the concept, at best, and a complete disregard for it many other times. The examples of portraits that are rendered in "stacked parallel planes" (a simplified method of rendering perspective) are abundant. Many, many examples of artwork from this period show perspective on certain objects, and completely disregard it on other portions of the image. This is often a reflection of an "area of interest" philosphy, but even then, the methods are quite often simplistic when compared to the perspective that reality gets us.

Okay, perhaps "debate" was the wrong word... "Discussion" might be a better word. That is what a forum is for after all, is it not? I just wanted to provide some food for thought to keep the discussion going.

Anyway: You are probably right and I'm probably wrong regarding the art-work. With this in mind and since I don't have anything to add when it comes to the possible existance of real swords I'll drop out of the discussion.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Okay, perhaps "debate" was the wrong word... "Discussion" might be a better word. That is what a forum is for after all, is it not? I just wanted to provide some food for thought to keep the discussion going.

Anyway: You are probably right and I'm probably wrong regarding the art-work. With this in mind and since I don't have anything to add when it comes to the possible existance of real swords I'll drop out of the discussion.

Whoa, there, Joachim.

I think the discussion of the artwork is a valid one and you guys should keep talking about it. It wasn't the portion of this topic that I, personally, was terribly interested in. That doesn't mean it shouldn't continue.

I asked for some photos of those types of swords being discussed. Big deal. That isn't a reason to get defensive or sensitve about it. It's just a part of keeping the discussion going and that's what the forum is for after all, is it not? Laughing Out Loud

Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Whoa, there, Joachim.

I think the discussion of the artwork is a valid one and you guys should keep talking about it. It wasn't the portion of this topic that I, personally, was terribly interested in. That doesn't mean it shouldn't continue.

I asked for some photos of those types of swords being discussed. Big deal. That isn't a reason to get defensive or sensitve about it. It's just a part of keeping the discussion going and that's what the forum is for after all, is it not? Laughing Out Loud

Oh, okay. I think my current frame of mind made me misunderstand your post a bit. Blush No harm, no foul. Did start to feel I was kinda outta my league though. I do want to be able to contribute with sensible, pertinent information and not just ramblings.

Perhaps I should go on for the hunt for photographs instead. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Joachim.

For what it's worth, I don't think your posts are ramblings... and really, I know ramblings. Ask anybody who knows me how much I ramble.

Anyway. I'm still very interested in this type of hilt because, and I don't know why I feel this way, but I suspect there are some examples of it out there somewhere.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only with drawings: It is possible, to photograph an object that curves in more than one axis and depending on the angle chosen and lighting and without the 3 D clues of binocular vision, to end up with a very misleading photograph that gives you an erronious impression of the actual shape of the object.

Now finding a sword that does have a guard that curves back like the painting seems to indicate would be an interesting find as Nathan said, but in this case it seems to me just a case of misleading perspective cues.

As an art teacher said in life drawing class once, loosely quoted: " Yes, the model's arm does take on this weird shape if drawn from this angle but nobody looking at just the drawing will understand what the arm was actually doing and why the fingers seem to be sticking strait out of the elbow with no forearm or hand visible ! "

Anyway, this is the view of someone who can draw and has worked with graphics, photography and corporate video for a few years. ( Don't want to sound pretensious here: But some people can't draw to save their life and I couldn't write music to save mine. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've just thumbed through my copy of Oakeshott's "European Arms and Armour" and there isn't any "recurved bows" to be seen. That does not, of course, exclude that such a sword ever existed. But, in hindsight, I might have gotten a bit carried away in the discussion and also the interpretation of art. I apologize for that and heed the input of those that are more experienced in judging art than I. Until a photograph of an actual sword shows up the evidence do seem to point towards an S-curved cross. Which isn't such a bad thing anyway as they are very beautiful. But it would still be very nice to see an actual recurved bow.

Last edited by Joachim Nilsson on Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm sorry, Joachim.

For what it's worth, I don't think your posts are ramblings... and really, I know ramblings. Ask anybody who knows me how much I ramble.

Thanks Nathan! Big Grin

Quote:
Anyway. I'm still very interested in this type of hilt because, and I don't know why I feel this way, but I suspect there are some examples of it out there somewhere.

Hmm, yes. Weirder things have reared their faces. It would be interesting to have a peek in the voluminous armory of Livrustkammaren in Stockholm. That's one of the places I imagine might house such a sword if it exists. Unless it's one of those weapons that forever have disappeared into the mists of history, much like some of the weapons portrayed in the Macijeowski Bible. Worried

Also: Since almost every other imaginable shape of hilt have been manufactured, why wouldn't some smith out there at some point have hammered out such a thing as a recurved bow? Razz Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like the photos Kirk posted previously, this example doesn't hit the mark either. It's too late and really isn't at all in the right "family" but hey, for those who haven't seen it:

Click for full-sized version

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dürer Bastard Sword
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: