Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion question. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Albion question.         Reply with quote

I've just been reading some of the reviews/discussion around the 90th aniverssery sword of Zorro that Albion produced a few years ago. Although the reception of that particular sword was somewhat mixed, nearly every comment I read spoke of a) the amazing finish quality on the piece, and b) excitement that Albion were venturing into the market of more complex hilts and rapiers.
Now, that particular sword was announced in 2011 and in the six years that have followed I've not seen any mention of new more complex hilts or hilt designs. The only thing that has caught my eye on this subject are the two swords in their 'Maestro' line (The Capoferro and TheAngelo) however, information on these is limited at best.
Does anyone have any news or views on this? Or opinions into the higher end rapier market at the morment?
Thanks
Martin
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Arms & Armour: http://arms-n-armor.com

The other option in the U.K. is Leo Todeschini: http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Or opinions into the higher end rapier market at the morment?

Marco Danelli..........

http://www.danelliarmouries.com/
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 29 Apr, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I usually run into Mike at Gen Con every year. I always ask him about the Capoferro, and it never seems to move forward from one year to the next. On one hand, when Albion takes extra time to get details right, the result is usually worth it, but I agree it can be damned frustrating. They're a small shop, and have a lot of different models going, and have experienced some recent personnel turnovers, so I wouldn't be surprised if development of that particular piece just hasn't been too high on their list. Disappointing, but understandable. I'm still kind of holding out for it only because my own free time is is such short supply right now that the last thing I need is to add something like rapier fencing to the mix. If I were chomping at the bit to start, however, I probably would have given up by now and gone with A&A. I don't own any of A&A's trainers, so I can't say anything about them, but I do have two custom rapiers and a Town Guard from them and I can say that their complex hilts are top-notch and the folks over there are always a pleasure to work with.

If you're looking for a historically accurate rapier, I might go that way rather than the Zorro piece. I tend to regard Albion's film swords as props or collectibles rather than proper weapons. That may be selling them short, as I'm sure they're made well, but at the end of the day most of them are based on Hollywood, where the historical accuracy is usually lacking. Lady Vivamus might be the exception to that. She seems like a very fine saber for those who lean that way.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Sun 30 Apr, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would you want to get? A blunt simulator for fencing, or a "real" sharpened weapon?

Marco Danelli is indeed one of the best rapier builders. His rapiers are fantastic, and he can make the two possibilities. I believe he is one of the few that truly respect the original rapier blade geometry and properties, with the thick ricasso (8 to 9mm) and the forte stiffness. But, price of fame, he has a somewhat long delay, you will be forced to wait like two years to get your rapier. Totally worth it anyway.

This year I decided to try Tod's Stuff for a sharpened early 17th century rapier. He his extremely good in his work, and I'm rather curious and eager to see the result. Moreover, I'm very fond of his choice of "crude" finish, with small flaws, asymmetries and imperfections, I think it brings a lot of personnality to the sword. Excited to see the result!
The price would not be the same that Marco's, but on the other side the delay is shorter.

These two guys sure can assure you very high end stuff!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion question.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic