Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword sharpening in the Glasgow area? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Sword sharpening in the Glasgow area?         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a sword with an unevenly sharpened blade which I would like to get corrected before I see how it cuts. Does anyone know someone in the Glasgow area who can provide a sharpening service?

Thanks!

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
You could try Armour Class in Glasgow, they manufacture and sell sharps as well as reenactment blunts so they must have or have access to sharpening facilities. Hope this is of some use.
Regards,
Norman.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you refer to Glasgow, Scotland? You might check with Armour Class...I'm pretty sure they could do it, or at least turn you to someone that can. Happy .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhgg.....You type fast, Norman! Laughing Out Loud .....McM
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
As they say: Two Heads are Better than One. Cool Wink Happy
Regards,
Norman.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, they completely slipped my mind. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll sharpen another maker's sword.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, Armour Class were extremely helpful, sharpening my sword while I waited!

Unfortunately, as I left the shop to get my cab, someone decided to call the police to report a man with a sword. The police came by my place later (I guess they got the address from the cab company), were very friendly, but ended up confiscating the sword until everything is cleared up. I guess I triggered someone who has too much time on their hands.

The lesson to be learned is completely hide your sword from sight (difficult with a two-hander), even if you're only in view for 3 minutes.

Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys, Armour Class were extremely helpful, sharpening my sword while I waited!

Unfortunately, as I left the shop to get my cab, someone decided to call the police to report a man with a sword. The police came by my place later (I guess they got the address from the cab company), were very friendly, but ended up confiscating the sword until everything is cleared up. I guess I triggered someone who has too much time on their hands.

The lesson to be learned is completely hide your sword from sight (difficult with a two-hander), even if you're only in view for 3 minutes.

Good that someone recommended armourclass.
I've had dealings with them and they are indeed very friendly and helpful.

That's quite an anecdote! I carry swords around a bit when I go to Owen Bush forge for instance.
I bought a nylon fishing rod bag at lidl for 10 quids a few years back, I can easily store 4 longswords in there (there are layers that keep them separated). Includes straps so that you can wear it like a rucksack. Highly recommended!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:

That's quite an anecdote! I carry swords around a bit when I go to Owen Bush forge for instance.
I bought a nylon fishing rod bag at lidl for 10 quids a few years back, I can easily store 4 longswords in there (there are layers that keep them separated). Includes straps so that you can wear it like a rucksack. Highly recommended!

That's a good solution, I'll need to try it. The quillons on this particular sword are too long to fit in most rifle cases,

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Completely off-topic, and just FYI: I once carried a disassembled H/T longsword in a cardboard mailing tube on a bus trip. No one gave it a second glance. Laughing Out Loud ......McM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword sharpening in the Glasgow area?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic