Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Origin or Information on this image Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Origin or Information on this image         Reply with quote

Does anyone know the origin or have any accurate information about this image? Supposedly, it's a depiction of 'vikings' disembarking to England, and it's attributed to the 10th century, and it is stored in the Bymuseum in Oslo. I find it interesting that it is supposed to be depicting vikings, and is dated to the 10th century, while later or contemporary Ottonian, Italian and Anglo-Saxon images from the late 10th and early 11th centuries show round or domed shields in the majority, when shields are depicted. Some Ottonian and Byzantine manuscripts do show some smaller kite shields, but I would be interested to know if this manuscript is accurately dated, and where it is from or who is actually shown.

Attachment: 114.14 KB
[ Download ]

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai,

The dating of 10th century is flat-out wrong as is its attribution in belonging to the Bymuseum Oslo. Whoever posted it clearly does not know what they are talking about. The manuscript is Morgan M.736 Miscellany on the Life of St. Edmund, from Bury, St Edmunds in England, and is dated to circa 1130 AD. The presence of kite shields becomes far more explicable when we realize that this image was made well into the 12th century.

You can see it here: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4687/12316/

Notice the Manuscript Miniatures version is simply an inverted version of the image you have posted.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you--that is much more congruous with my initial estimate. I appreciate the link to the more accurately cited source.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Origin or Information on this image
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic