Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Big "early gothic" elbows Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Big "early gothic" elbows         Reply with quote

Hi
I'm trying to find out exactly when the (decade) appeared this type of elows. Can you help me?

http://diebgasse.blogspot.com/
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm by far no armor expert, but I believe that what would be considered 'early gothic' would be around the mid 1400's. High gothic, I believe, came around about the mid 1500's and lasted until mid to late 1600's. I believe that style of armor lasted a lot longer, just not so much prevalent on the battlefield......more akin to 'parade armor'. I could be totally off on that, though. Just a semi-educated theory. There has been some very fancy armor made all the way into the 1700's, but I believe it was more a prestige statement than practical combat armor. Happy ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I'm by far no armor expert, but I believe that what would be considered 'early gothic' would be around the mid 1400's. High gothic, I believe, came around about the mid 1500's and lasted until mid to late 1600's. I believe that style of armor lasted a lot longer, just not so much prevalent on the battlefield......more akin to 'parade armor'. I could be totally off on that, though. Just a semi-educated theory. There has been some very fancy armor made all the way into the 1700's, but I believe it was more a prestige statement than practical combat armor. Happy ........McM

That's not correct at all. Gothic armour did appear in the mid-15th century, but was almost entirely superceded by other styles, such as Maximilian, by the second decade of the 16th century. Some rare elements, such as visored sallets, continued to be used in tournament applications until mid-century. As far as these couters are concerned, it is a primitive form that might have been prevalent before "Gothic" armour really appeared at all. I can imagine it being paired with an arm harness for a kastenbrust, for example.

I'm on my phone just now so can't gather any specifics, but its safe to say this form of floating couter was probably not unusual as early as the 1430s on the continent. Such a simple example is also akin to those shown as being worn by many less well-armed soldiers in manuscripts throughout the mid-15th century. So one need not assume it has to be paired with any particular style of armour at all. It could easily be a component in a composite application. Cheers!

- Gregory

(edited for typo)

Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...there you have it.
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Big "early gothic" elbows
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic