Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yet Another Newbie's Question... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael P. Barrett

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Yet Another Newbie's Question...         Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

I’m anxious to change my answer to “When did you start your collection of arms and armour?” from “I haven't yet begun” to “I began it, this year”.

So I’d like to buy one of those cuirasses ( https://www.theknightshop.com/index.php/protection/armour/torso-armour/european-back-breastplate ), as my first piece of armour. And so I’d like to know what members think of armour from The Knight Shop.

What do you think? Is it worth my while, to buy one of these? Or are there better places, to begin a collection of arms and armour?

Thanking you, in advance, for your help,

Michael
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome!

The Knight Shop is just one of MANY vendors of mostly low-end arms and armor, but I don't know anything about their service or reputation. Always find out if a vendor has a good return policy, for starters.

I'm pretty sure that the cuirass you linked to is a typical Made-in-India piece, "one size fits few", and not really very historically accurate. It's probably too wide across the chest between the armholes, which will limit arm movement, and may be too long as well.

A lot depends on what you want to do with your armor. If you're just collecting pieces you like, no problem. But if you plan to get into either competitive combat of some sort or any kind of historical reenacting or living history, this is probably not the best piece to start with.

A few decades ago, when I was shopping around for my first "real" sword, I was waffling between 2 Scottish two-handers. The cheaper one was Asian-made, heavier, with a hilt that was all one piece of steel. I knew just enough to be able to tell that it wasn't quite accurate in some details, but I've always been a dedicated cheapskate. The other one was made by Del Tin (Italy), and was obviously better-looking, better made, lighter, and almost twice the price. Took me days to decide! (This was pre-Internet, mind, so there was almost no place to go for advice!) I went with the Del Tin, and I have Never Looked Back. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a cheapskate and my collection is hardly top of the line! But I never would have been happy with that Philipino Claymore, while the Del Tin and a number of its brethren are still adorning my wall.

I should also point out that there *are* pieces made in India which are not bad at all, for the price, particularly Roman helmets and swords. But that's due to many years of Roman reenactors working closely with a couple companies to get what they wanted, and most of the stuff these companies crank out is still "junk", historically speaking!

Bottom line, YOU have to be happy with your collection. If that cuirass is really what you want, get it! My advice, though, is to start with patience (which I've never had) and education. You'll be happier in the long run.

Have fun!

Matthew
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This breastplate almost certainly won't fit you well.
I had the 15th century breast and back from these guys and it was a decent armour:

http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.p...uct_id=198

These might also be ok:

http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.p...uct_id=250

http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.p...uct_id=204
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michael, welcome.

What do you want the armour for? If its to wear then I'd suggest looking at the armourers who make for re-enactors. St George Armoury, Ryall Armouries, ASH and a fair few others in the UK. Martin Bavin is in N Wales, think he's your nearest although GreenLeaf is in the West Country. White Rose are extremely good, and there are many others.

If you are looking for accurate pieces as representation of the real thing then all those can do it but normally re-enactment armour is made a bit thicker so people can go to work on a Monday.

Out of the links Lukas has posted I'd say the Churburg is best value for the money but beware, much Indian stuff (as that is) is of varying quality and size. So whats in the picture may not be precisely what you get. I'd use these for some applications but never to hold up and say 'this is what armour was like'.

You have to decide what you want out of the collection as its a very wide field. You can spend a few quid, or thousands.

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I purchased a copy of Obsesseo from the knight's shop. Delivery was very prompt, and there was no hassle. That is all I can say about it, I just purchased one thing.

I mirror what others said, I bought a few very low end things, and these never see the light of day. I am, however, quite taken with theTinker Hanwei line. That is no armour though.
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Check out another forum         Reply with quote

Hey!

Glad you asked the question before you purchased.

Check out another forum

Google: The armor archive
It's a great place that will steer you correctly
Michael P. Barrett

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gadzooks! I’d forgotten about The Armour Archive; I didn’t even know that they still existed.

And I’ll take your point, about educating myself beyond the naming of parts: so I should start looking about My Amoury and The Armour Archive, to find out as much as I can. Are there any threads that you gentlemen can recommend?

As for what I want out of my collection? I would very much like to wear my armour, as my interest in armour is as much of a Freudian one as an academic one. And, certainly, I do want pieces that are mostly accurate but a little thicker than the real thing.

(Mark Griffin states my dream, to get into HEMA as historical re-enactment or living history.)

So it looks like I will have to steer clear of the cheap stuff. What you men have said about armour that’s made in India (that “one size fits few,” that one cannot trust its quality, and that it’s historically inaccurate) says all that needs to said to some one who’s out for a wearable armour. I’ll take your advice that the satisfaction that a well-made item brings is well worth the higher price.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Read our discussion of this piece: http://www.battleworld.co.uk/product/steel-cuirass-c/

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=331...ight=fauld

Lots of good information there. I see almost nothing in the way of inexpensive armour that interests me, but I'd like to have this breast. The stats look good for me, and very flexible. If it's correct for the period that interests you, I think it would be hard to go wrong for £59.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well....I decided to buy a whole suit of Dark Drake armor from Kult of Athena. I'm buying it piece by piece to suit my body size. Plus.....I just think it looks cool. Besides, ....I can always send it back. I bought a set of knees and elbows in the same finish from another company , but may have to modify them a bit. (No returns then!) Oh well...live and learn. ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
AO Price

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus.....I just think it looks cool.

The best reason there is!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this is common knowledge in another thread, but I had to send the Dark Drake back due to a size error. Got a suit of Dark Warrior in large size and it is just right. The Dark Warrior is a little more historic, but not much. It all works well together....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yet Another Newbie's Question...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic