Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Germanic Spatha SK-B Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Fergus Holmes-Stanley

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Germanic Spatha SK-B         Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if there has been any issues with this sword: https://www.battlemerchant.com/Swords/Battle-ready-swords/Germanic-Spatha-practical-blunt-sword-SK-B::5884.html and the manufacturer: ULFBERTH. If anyone knows anything about how good it is and cost-effective that would be much appreciated.
Thank you. (my apologies if this isn't in the correct forum, I didn't know where to put it)

Here are the swords specifications:
Battle-ready Sword Category : SK-B
Learn more about our classification for blunt practical swords
- Blade Material: Spring Steel EN45, heat-treated
- Hardness of the blade: approx. 48 HRC
- Overall: approx. 90 cm
- Blade length: approx. 74.5 cm
- Thickness of the blade: approx. 3.5 mm
- Width at guard: approx. 4.6 cm
- Cutting edge: approx. 2 mm for safety
- Point of balance: 15 cm
- Typification: Behmer-Type 2
- Weight (without scabbard): 1.2 kg

Wyrd bið ful aræd
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The company selling under the "Ulfberth" name produces, to my knowledge, mainly in Pakistan and India. They make everything from Gambesons and other pieces of padded armor over splinted armor and chainmail (of varying quality and price range) to (overbuilt) helmets from different ages and stage combat swords.

Their swords, while extraordinarily cheap, are very crude and simple. They do not feature much, if any, distal taper and are notoriously overbuilt. They are not very hard, nor are they as durable as they ought be for the weight. Insofar I'd advise spending a bit more on a better manufacturer if you want to fight with the sword. Finding good migration-era blunt swords in that kind of price range isn't all that easy, though. Viktor Berbekucz might serve that purpose. Not a huge step up in looks and handling, but at least more durable.

Some of Ulfberth's scabbards look okay, but they're not spectacular. Overall I'd say their swords are okay to wear on a belt for display, as the hilts look, for most European applications, reasonably authentic.
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have had this sword and used it within re-enactment for over 3 years now.

for the price it is a great sword and does it job.

it is however a little heavier then it should be. the metal is softer so it does dint up a bit. also the fittings one the handle are glue together so after a while they also come loose and move but it is still pretty solid and i have not had to repeen it or anything like that. also the guard and pommel sections have wood between the brass plates and that tends to break apart and chip if its been hit.

all in all for the price i recommend it and i will most likely purchase another one to use when this one finally dies. the only reason i would not buy this sword is if i pony up with the cash and get a custom made one from a smith.

i also have one of the original hanwei viking swords and comparing the 2 the hanwei is slightly lighter and a bit more solid, but the blade is thinner and not the nice wide Spatha blade the Ulfberth has.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Germanic Spatha SK-B
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic