Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > An English Anelace dagger, from the mid-14th century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: An English Anelace dagger, from the mid-14th century         Reply with quote

I'd just like to show off this little piece I've been working on; an English antenna-hilted quillon dagger (sometimes called an "Anelace" or "Aunlaz" dagger), based on studies of Royal Armouries x.1302, a dagger of this type dated to the mid-14th Century and recorded as a find from Tooley Street, London.

Blade of EN42j carbon steel, Hilt of hand-forged and blacked steel with sterling silver rivet decoration filling the centre of each scroll, a tapering square pein block, and grip of beech wood and vegetable-tanned leather.

The sheath is hand-sewn from two layers of leather in 14th century fashion, with stamping and carving covering the vegetable-tanned cow hide. The twisting vine or rose decoration with details picked out in a red oxide paint is based on an extant example of painted leather (Museum of London ID #13457).

Blade length is 225mm. (Original is 219mm, and I think continued for about 6-7mm more.)
Overall Length is 325mm, with the grip itself being 73mm long.
Width across the crossguard is 53mm.
Weight: 195g.

--

This was a piece produced as a personal challenge, after looking at the first reproductions of this dagger made by Arms and Armour, MN around the year 2000, made into a standard stock item in 2008. Looking at the original and reproductions, I couldn't help notice that there were several other makers who were simply copying their product, with the rather distinctive look of its bare wood hilt. So I and wanted to challenge the way that others have copied that interpretation entirely, instead of making their own interpretation. Hence the departure from the preconceived appearance of these, by using a leather covered hilt, extensive blacking, and adjusting the blade profile to more accurately recreate the slender tip of the original. I'd like to hope it presents a fresh view of a familiar dagger.

I'd also like to give my thanks to Craig Johnson of Arms and Armor http://arms-n-armor.com/, for the information on the production history of their model, and permission to mention them here.
I'll also thank Scottish blade-smith Chris Grant http://www.makemethischris.co.uk/ for the heat-treatment of the EN42 steel - not an alloy I'm accustomed to.

And I was going to say it was for sale. But I'm rather surprised to be able to say, it sold while I was writing this description. Ah well, I cant complain, can I?

Attachment: 97.81 KB
Anelace_dagger01_800.jpg

Attachment: 94.15 KB
Anelace_dagger02_800.jpg

Attachment: 103.3 KB
Anelace_dagger03_800.jpg

Attachment: 75.71 KB
Anelace_dagger04_800.jpg

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats rather nice James.

Excellent work all round and I particularly like the sheath and the use of colour.

Well done.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Great Dagger         Reply with quote

That looks great. You did a great job on the dagger and the scabbard. I particularly like the colored elements and the silver. We did some in copper on a few of our early ones, but where striving to keep our price inline with our other daggers of this size for the stock item. You really created a nice piece and I am sure your lucky patron will enjoy it for a life time.

Best
Craig
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm working in Tooley St on Thursday, I'll keep my eye out for others lying about!

Very nice work, good feel to it.

Griff

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A brilliant piece, from the subtle embellishmens in the scrolls, the shape of the handle, the less subtle leatherwork all the way to the lace ends. I really love it!
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one of those cases when I wish I could blow up the photos to study it in more detail.

nice job.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
This is one of those cases when I wish I could blow up the photos to study it in more detail.

nice job.

Harry, thanks, pictures with twice the resolution are here:

http://www.elmslie.co.uk/portfolio/Anelace_dagger01.jpg
http://www.elmslie.co.uk/portfolio/Anelace_dagger02.jpg
http://www.elmslie.co.uk/portfolio/Anelace_dagger03.jpg
http://www.elmslie.co.uk/portfolio/Anelace_dagger04.jpg

Hopefully that'll do?
Any more than that, I have the original 14Mp images from the photography, email me if you really want a copy of one or two of them. but be aware, they've not had all the little bits of dust airbrushed out.
Honestly. I'm pretty sure that I set up the photos, dust, clean off, turn my back for 3 seconds, and my cat runs in, sits on top of the board, and drops a pile of fluff, and then scarpers every time.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > An English Anelace dagger, from the mid-14th century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic